Everything else
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Biggest design flaws ever!

Post by Bryan Moore »

TWO METER EXHAUST PORT
[/discussion]
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Converting all that hypermatter gets hot.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In fairness, do you really expect someone to get past all your defences in a fighter, and then make a shot that every computer says is impossible through your ray-shielded exhaust port?
Although why they didn't just put some meshing over that, or something....
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:In fairness, do you really expect someone to get past all your defences in a fighter, and then make a shot that every computer says is impossible through your ray-shielded exhaust port?
Although why they didn't just put some meshing over that, or something....
Or a bend in it, come to that.

Did the computers say it was impossible? I seem to remember they said it was difficult but not impossible.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that would have been handy.
Though we did see the torps doing a 90 degree turn in the space of a second or so, so maybe it wouldn't have helped that much.
Still....
Did the computers say it was impossible? I seem to remember they said it was difficult but not impossible.
I think the quote was "That's impossible, even for a computer."
And then later on we see the targetting computers failing to hit the target.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I think Lucas is on record as saying that the exhaust port was an impossible target for anyone but Luke (and, presumably, Anakin).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:
Yeah, that would have been handy.
Though we did see the torps doing a 90 degree turn in the space of a second or so, so maybe it wouldn't have helped that much.
Still....
I think the quote was "That's impossible, even for a computer."
And then later on we see the targetting computers failing to hit the target.
But then Luke said it wasn't impossible, he did it back home.

I took the pilot's complaint with a bit of a pinch of salt. If the attack were actually considered to be impossible then there'd be no point in trying it. For that matter there'd be no point in them describing the port as a weakness.

And there's no such thing as "impossible for anybody except..." If Luke did it, it's possible. That's what the words possible and impossible mean! :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:I took the pilot's complaint with a bit of a pinch of salt. If the attack were actually considered to be impossible then there'd be no point in trying it. For that matter there'd be no point in them describing the port as a weakness.
I think the general opinion was that the run was extremely difficult but just about possible based on the approach and the size of the target. Problem was, they underestimated the degree of additional difficulty imposed by the jamming, the flak towers, and Black Squadron.
And there's no such thing as "impossible for anybody except..." If Luke did it, it's possible. That's what the words possible and impossible mean! :)
Alright, call it impossible for any computer, or for any normal pilot, but possible for one of the strongest Force users in galactic history.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Alright, call it impossible for any computer, or for any normal pilot, but possible for one of the strongest Force users in galactic history.
Purely out of curiosity, how exactly does being a great force user help you in this situation? Success is a matter of releasing the torpedoes at exactly the right moment, with the ship at the right height, distance and speed, right? Now I can see that you might use the force to guide you to hit that point exactly right. But if there actually is an exact right launch point, isn't it also possible to hit it through skill, luck, or a combination of the two? I can see that using the force might make you far more likely to succeed, but surely if you can do it with the force you can do it without, at least in theory?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

In theory, sure, but it would be akin to throwing a 1" diametre dart through an infintesimally greater than 1" diametre hole. There's a chance that you might do it, but it's a pretty poor one.

This assumes, of course, that Luke didn't subconciously use the Force to give the torpedoes a nudge after he'd fired which would, obviously, be impossible for a none-Force-user.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah the pilot was just complaining that it was a difficult shot not impossible.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote: This assumes, of course, that Luke didn't subconciously use the Force to give the torpedoes a nudge after he'd fired which would, obviously, be impossible for a none-Force-user.
I figured thats what made the difference, because if I remember the scene correctly, the torpedoes were going to impact below the vent before swerving in. So I think it's logical to assume that, being a powerful force user, Luke's "come on, make it, make it, make it" that any pilot would be thinking probably had a little force-related shove behind it.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

But again - if the attack was outside the operational characteristics of the torpedo, then why would they mount the attack in the first place? It's as if they decided to try stopping it with harsh language, knowing that that cannot work, but then the force let Luke's harsh language win the day.

It can't have been an impossible shot. It wouldn't make any sense.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

How about, highly, highly improbable then?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

But again - if the attack was outside the operational characteristics of the torpedo, then why would they mount the attack in the first place? It's as if they decided to try stopping it with harsh language, knowing that that cannot work, but then the force let Luke's harsh language win the day.

It can't have been an impossible shot. It wouldn't make any sense.
What other options did they have? It was either die trying to blow it up, or die sitting around waiting to be blown up. They knew the flaw was there and that was the only chance they had, hence the attack.