Cardassian's technology level

Deep Space Nine
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

yeah, or perhaps the galor spaceframes may look similar, but perhaps the hardware/software might widely vary in some models.........
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Granitehewer wrote:By the way guys, i might be a wee bit confuddled here, but (random point alert!), oh this bears little bearing to the posts but..... re: the galor, its been described as 'top of the line' but also somewhat derided, could this mean 'top of the line......for the cardassians' or that the sub-classes/upgrades or whatever of the galor, differ quite widely in capabilities?
I believe only the Type 3 Galor class was considered top of the line and then only top of the line for the Cardies themselves. As we saw in one episode of TNG they were taken down by a swarm of Maquis Raiders. And I believe the Defiant took down numerous Galor class by herself during the war.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah can we assume that it was just a matter of the writers not wanting to create dozens of new models for the Cardassians in similar manner to the Romulans. I don't possibly believe that the Galor (just a the D'Deridex) was the only big ship available. If so, then they're WAY behind technologically.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Don't the Cardies deploy the Galor in packs of three to make up for it's weak standings against the other major powers ships? Or is that just fanon?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I believe that's simply fanon, however on-screen evidence agrees with that in numerous cases.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It is possible that the Cardies don't have the wherewithal to create many differnet types of ships - it's not just a matter of technological development; R&D requires disposable resources as well, of which the Cardassians do not seem to have much.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Do correct me on this if I'm wrong.
I always thought of the Cardasians as a rather poor race. If so they may have a military along the lines of third world countries. Not very advanced, but numerous. This lack of money could explain the lack of R&D.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

I always thought of the Cardasians as a rather poor race. If so they may have a military along the lines of third world countries. Not very advanced, but numerous. This lack of money could explain the lack of R&D.
I'd have to disagree with you on that, though mainly because the Cardies are my favorite Trek race, and I can't have anything said against them. Like I've said before, though, there's nothing really wrong with only having one or two classes of ships; if they're decent ships, then mass-producing them will usually do just as well as the single Galaxy class starship you'd produce with same amount of resources. The Federation's 102 ship classes are largely (in my opinion) a result of their need to take on many different kinds of mission, from Scientific to humanitarian; since the Cardies aren't really into that sort of thing, there's no need to make so many classes.

But that's just my opinion... :wink:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Do correct me on this if I'm wrong.
Maybe not third-world, but their design philosophy does resemble Soviet thinking to a great extent - solid, reliable designs that can't compete with other powers' best one-on-one but can deal with the lesser ships (Excelsior, BoP, etc) and can be built in numbers. Plus they have an effective assult rifle rather than a piece of overcomplicated plastic shite .
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

By 'third world' I simply meant less wealthy than other races.
Good point on the Soviet analogy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ok I can see how their home planet can be low on resorces but for their entire area of space to be strechs credability. Matter should more or less be evenly distributed over our area of space.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They may not be low on resources, but mismanagement and corruption could cause the same effects.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

piece of overcomplicated plastic shite
:D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I could see corruption being the biggest problem.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Quark often mentioned the corrupt nature of assorted Guls and Glims, i seem to remember