Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pmHow can that even be possible. He's either invisible or you can watch him. It's can't be both. :)
Graham comes fully equipped with a tachyon detection grid ;)
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:46 pm Graham comes fully equipped with a tachyon detection grid ;)
LOL
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Today, I watched Shrek 2.

I hadn't watched this in years. It's still as funny as ever. Stuffed full of jokes and pop cultural references--some of which I'm able to appreciate a little more having seen the movies being referenced, like PInocchio's Mission: Impossible stunt. And yet, with all the comic moments, they never forget the deeper themes involving prejudice. I also rather enjoy Jennifer Saunders' rendition of "Holding Out for a Hero".
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Today, I watched The Day After Tomorrow.

A very different kind of global emergency than the one we're facing now, but it's interesting to note the similarities in people's reactions. Like politicians disregarding warnings and advice from scientists until it's too late.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Today I watched...

The Frisco Kid.

it's a 1979 comedy starring Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford. It's about a Polish Rabbi traveling across the US in 1850 to San Fransisco. It really shouldn't work... but it does. Some great, funny moments, genuine heart and great acting and chemistry between the two leads.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Today, I watched The Terminal (2004).

A Spielberg film starring Tom Hanks as Viktor Navorski from the fictional nation of Krakozhia, which falls under a military coup while Viktor is in transit to the United States. His passport suddenly becomes invalid and he is unable to enter the US or return home. He's stuck in the cracks of bureaucracy. So, he ends up living in JFK International for weeks.

I love the way Viktor's character is gradually developed through the people he interacts with--people who work at the airport and through Catherine Zeta-Jones' character and even through the film's antagonist, played by Stanley Tucci. Zoe Saldana also stars in the film, and her character is a Star Trek fan.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Varthikes wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:52 am Today, I watched The Day After Tomorrow.

A very different kind of global emergency than the one we're facing now, but it's interesting to note the similarities in people's reactions. Like politicians disregarding warnings and advice from scientists until it's too late.
:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
That movie had special effects and science that could be compared to a tonsillectomy... with out being put under or any pain killers. The poorly CG’d wolves, the Ice hurricanes that travel across land at temperatures of negative 200C, the way the freezing temps creeped up the insides of the library walls towards the survivors(?!), or at the end, that horrible line of the space station astronaut about the earth atmosphere never looking so clear.. can only hope An access hatch opened afterwards and sucked him out into a cold airless death. It capitalizes on stupidity and fear with some god awful science to explain it? TOS had better science technobabble that the day after tomorrow.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:31 am
Varthikes wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:52 am Today, I watched The Day After Tomorrow.

That movie had special effects and science that could be compared to a tonsillectomy... with out being put under or any pain killers. The poorly CG’d wolves, the Ice hurricanes that travel across land at temperatures of negative 200C, the way the freezing temps creeped up the insides of the library walls towards the survivors(?!), or at the end, that horrible line of the space station astronaut about the earth atmosphere never looking so clear.. can only hope An access hatch opened afterwards and sucked him out into a cold airless death. It capitalizes on stupidity and fear with some god awful science to explain it? TOS had better science technobabble that the day after tomorrow.
Reportedly, the studio had invited a group of scientists to preview the film. While all were unimpressed with the pseudo-science, most conceded that it was enjoyable nonsense. And, some people enjoy the nonsense simply because it's nonsense. It's what one expects going into an Emmerich film. You just have to be willing to put logic on hold for a few hours and don't take the movie seriously. Having great characters can go a long way in doing that, and if there's one thing that I think Emmerich does well is create compelling characters.

I do agree with the wolves, though. I felt that subplot was unnecessary.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Varthikes wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:29 am
00111010 01000100 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:31 am

Reportedly, the studio had invited a group of scientists to preview the film. While all were unimpressed with the pseudo-science, most conceded that it was enjoyable nonsense. And, some people enjoy the nonsense simply because it's nonsense. It's what one expects going into an Emmerich film. You just have to be willing to put logic on hold for a few hours and don't take the movie seriously. Having great characters can go a long way in doing that, and if there's one thing that I think Emmerich does well is create compelling characters.

I do agree with the wolves, though. I felt that subplot was unnecessary.
:cry: Emmerich.. I had such high hopes after his direction of the Stargate movie :cry:

His filmography is like the scene from Mel brooks, “history of the world”, and the “Yes” and “No” scene. Lots of no’s a few yes’s.
As for the pseudo science, I can actually flip my understanding of that movie around from a learned perspective. Personal example-> Hunt for red October, when I was younger, thought it was a GREAT sub movie!! After I had been in the navy and serving on subs, watching it is hilarious how much they got wrong or just plain screwed up with the sub scenes and action sequences. :D :D

So if I view the day after as a comedy? Then sure, it’s an ok movie for the humor.

And the wolves. :P
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

ok ok ok...the sub scenes and action sequences in Hunt for Red October were silly, but...and this is huge ...you can never go wrong with an older Sean Connery in a uniform and the very best toupee of his personal collection!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

As someone who has never been on a sub... I don't know what they got wrong, and frankly, don't care. And Connory as a Russian... I get why others would face-palm at the idea, but I liked it, and have the headcanon that the russian he played was just a fan of the accent :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 pmAs someone who has never been on a sub... I don't know what they got wrong, and frankly, don't care. And Connory as a Russian... I get why others would face-palm at the idea, but I liked it, and have the headcanon that the russian he played was just a fan of the accent :D
Technically he was playing a Lithuanian, not a Russian.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Lithuanian, not a Russian.

Lol, from his grandfathers side.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Hunt

This reminded me of a film that won the first Green Light competition, called The Feast. You think you know the genre, the characters, the plot, etc. And you find out, you don't. It was silly and violent, but still a decent popcorn flick to pass some time on yet another Blursday afternoon. Worth a watch for pure escapism.

Trolls World Tour

For as fun as I thought the first film in the franchise was, this made me want to vomit glitter and gumdops at every turn. If your eyesight can tolerate rainbow on rainbow on rainbow, I'd still avoid it, as it is a candy coated monstrosity made for kiddies drinking Red Bull and eating chocolate covered espresso beans.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I watched the first Kenny Rogers Gambler movie the other day. A movie somewhat inspired/loosely based on one of his more famous songs. And... it was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but it did its job and entertained me.

Also of note to you folks, it co-stars a young Bruce Boxleitner as 'Billy Montana', Kenny's sidekick in the movie. :D