Rumours, news and general speculation

Discovery
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by T'Pau »

After a re-watch of episode 3, I wonder if the twisted remains of the humans aboard the USS Glen were due to the ship attempting/succeeding in using magic mushroom drive, only it didn't work out as expected?

Thus the Klingons coming aboard after the accident, were not twisted, but killed by perhaps a creature that was brought back on purpose, or by accident.

On a screen next to the enclosure, there was an image of perhaps what the creature looked like 'in the light'...kind of reminded me of a microscopic tardigrade aka water bear, only giant size.

Update: I was correct (ask Graham) in predicting that the creature was indeed a giant tardigrade they've nicknamed 'Ripper'. It feeds off the spores and can act as a supercomputer to tell them where to take the ship when using the spore drive. Kind of a take on the Navigators from 'Dune'.
Last edited by T'Pau on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
F.Ultra
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by F.Ultra »

Another question is why Michaels prison dress had a delta (and if so why none of the other prisoners had one).
She was stripped of rank - but one presumes she would be in a military prison - or Starfleet prison - not a civilian one, yes? So maybe it's because of that.

Question is why weren't the other prisoners wearing it?

(Ignoring the fact that the delta is the Enterprise symbol and nobody on this show should be wearing it.)
And now in ep 4 they established that the delta shows your rank which makes it even more strange that she had one on her prison outfit.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Got to admit, I was a little confused about the spores thing in the previous episode. So our universe, or at least our galaxy has these spores all over it. Like mushrooms are a building block of the universe, is that correct?

ANyway, here's a promo for the next episode:
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh god... they are midiclorians!
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Its over 9000!!!
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

It looks like episode 4 tell us why they don't use Spore Drive in the future: In a civilization were meat is mostly replicated and hunting is considered barbarian, how treating a giant Tardigrade as an organic component of a computing system could be ok, specially when the creature is clearly suffering?

Lorca don't care but Burnham reaction say everything : just like her, every sane officer of Starfleet, no matter if Kirk, Picard, Spock, Data, Janeway or Chakotay, would be horrified.

And even Seven or Sisko would have remorse using it. It does not seems to be an issue for Lorca...
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Oh, dear lord. It spins!
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

IanKennedy wrote:Oh, dear lord. It spins!
Not only does it spin, the inner and outer ring spin in opposite directions to initiate the entire ship spinning with magic mushroom drive. Did the hippy generation teach the future nothing? "Dude, be mellow and don't have a bad trip". On that note, maybe we will get lucky and Burnham will wake up and find it all to be a bad dream (the Dallas tv series ploy) and we will see a Constitution class Discovery and all will be right with the force...umm..sorry..well...you know what I mean.
Last edited by T'Pau on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I actually predicted this! Not on this forum, but T'Pau will tell you, several months ago I said to Her "There's something funny about that hull... those bridges look peculiar, the structure is weird. I think those rings do something weird... I think they spin or something."

I called it! And boy, does it look sooooo stupid!

Reminds me of the Voyager tilting nacelles thing. They told the designer to give Voyager some sort of articulation to "make it cooler/different". Only nobody could ever come up with a reason for them to tilt. I guess at least Discovery has tied the rings into a specific aspect of the ship, using the Magic Mushroom drive. And hey, they can probably get the water out of their washing too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
I actually predicted this! Not on this forum, but T'Pau will tell you, several months ago I said to Her "There's something funny about that hull... those bridges look peculiar, the structure is weird. I think those rings do something weird... I think they spin or something."
Yes indeed, we did discuss that hull at length, and spinning was the most logical conclusion.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe that’s where they’ll put the Stargate.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

T'Pau wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:
Yes indeed, we did discuss that hull at length, and spinning was the most logical conclusion.
A man knows he's doing well when a Vulcan Matriarch deigns to call his conclusions "logical". :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So, here's a thing I saw mentioned which I missed. Remember in ep 3, when Lorca is doing the whole "bounce around the galaxy" speech to Burnham? And as he speaks, she sees images of various places. Here's one place she bounces to.

I trust we all recognise that?

Now here's the speculation I have heard with regards to this. I will spoiler it. It's just about the biggest spoiler there could be for Discovery, if true, so be warned.
The Magic Mushroom drive is NOT allowing the ship to make instantaneous jumps through space. Rather, it is jumping the ship into different places... in parallel universes. Those universes are just so similar to their home one, thus far, that they have not noticed.

And the kicker? Sooner or later they are going to jump into the Prime timeline and encounter something that looks very like the actual TOS continuity. Which is what she's seeing in that image, perhaps?

Think of the references to Alice in Wonderland. Burnham is Alice. The hole is Discovery. Lorca is the Mad Hatter. She's gone down the hole and into a strange new world...

And remember all those rumours we heard during production, that there will be some kind of cross-reality story with different versions of the characters? This is it.
I don't know what to make of that. I will wait and see, I guess.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

If well done it could be great.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

But it’s already supposed to be the prime reality...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer