Coalition Maps

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coalition Maps

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The technology wouldn't be a big deal; no doubt the Federation could offer some cool gadgets, like holodecks, replicator tech perhaps. But the living space they had to offer would be important. The Federation has thousands of worlds; many of them seem barely populated, certainly by Coalition standards. How many habitable planets did we see in TOS with some five man scientific team as the only residents? How many TNG colony worlds did we see with a few thousands of inhabitants? The Coalition ships people to their colony world hundreds of thousands at a time! They'd love to get hold of that real estate.

But I'm thinking more in terms of compatible politics and social policy. The Federation is keen to develop technically, keen to expand. It's not an aggressive, conquering power, but it's willing to fight when its principles demand it. It seems relatively benign towards its own citizens, doesn't run death camps for political dissidents or anything. The Coalition likes that kind of thing in potential members.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Just think of the bliss of sensible tactics being offered to the Federation....
they'd turn into an empire the moment they realize their potential :P
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

One thing I've wondered. I brought it up in your universe thread a few weeks back but I got to thinking about it more.

Your Galaxy is a constant ebb and flow of Empires building then collapsing into a cave man like state. Are any of your 9000 Empires related? Like one huge one broke into a stone age state then seperately they rose into galactic powers. Maybe some evolutionary differences
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about that. I would guess that as new Empires arise, a lot of them would follow the Gelch path of seeking to sweep up all their old colonies... but it's reasonable to assume that two or more new powers could arise out of the ashes of one old one. Rather like Vulcans and Romulans.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And you said Galactic history dates back at least 2 million years (when those guys tried to invade) if species have been around that long it leaves plenty of room for some minor evolutionary changes between groups of a species.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There are... aspects of the Coalition universe that are not for public consumption. Many of them relate to events in the distant past.

How to put this... let's just say that if you went and looked at the archeological evidence, you'd find that it supported life having existed on a large scale in the galaxy for billions of years. The evidence would indicate that life apparently evolves in a high percentage of places that it is possible for it to do so, so the galaxy has always been an inhabited place. So yes, there is plenty of time for evolution to lead to significant differences like that. Hell in that time span you could go from pretty much any life form to any other via evolution.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Interesting.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"