Gabriel Class Carrier

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Note: only her bridge deflectors went down. The rest of the ship was still protected and if the A-Wing hadn't run into the bridge, she would still have been able to fight. Only the sudden loss of the bridge and the DS's gravity well caused her loss as the back-up bridge was unable to take control in time.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Of course, all these incidents ignore Ackbar's comment in RotJ - "If we knock out their shields, our fighters might stand a chance against them." G-canon says fighters can't knock out capship shields. Problem solved.
When did he say that? I've watched that movie more times then I can count(seriously, I wore out a VHS tape of the original version, and I've watched the newer version on DVD several times) and I don't remember him saying that.

And while an ISD can handle 50 torps hitting them one at a time, what if they hit it within a few seconds of each other. For an analogy, my Grandfather was a former cop and was hit several times. While he survived each one and recovered, if he had been hit with them all at the same time he'd be dead.

I know you don't like Stackpole and I doubt I'll change that. Now what about Allston, the other X-Wing author. Wrote Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command, and Starfighters of Adumar. Those were better in general over Stackpole. In fact the only one I'd really defend of Stackpole's is The Bacta War because it was cool, old school Rebellion type stuff.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:[
When did he say that? I've watched that movie more times then I can count(seriously, I wore out a VHS tape of the original version, and I've watched the newer version on DVD several times) and I don't remember him saying that.
It might be in the novelisation. What he says in the movie is: "we've got to give those fighters more time, concentrate all fire on that Super-Star Destroyer." The novelisation is G-Canon though as are the radio plays.

Edit: whoops that's for a different incident. Anyways, if it's in the novel or radio play and it's not contradicted by the movie than it's canon.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Remember, the Rebel fleet had been amongst the Imperial fleet for some time at that point. It would be ridiculous to imagine that in all that time the Executor, the fleet flagship and the biggest threat there, wouldn't be taking a massive amount of fire from Rebel ships. It's quite likely that it's shields were already on the verge of failing before Ackbar ordered the entire fleet to target the ship and fire with all guns.
It's quite likely that the domes went up just as the bridge shields went down.

The only other conclusion is that fighter weapons are on a par with cap-ship scale weapons, which is obviously ridiculous.
And while an ISD can handle 50 torps hitting them one at a time, what if they hit it within a few seconds of each other.
That is what we're assuming. Even if we assume all 50 torps hit with full effect on the low-end calcs of 30TT for shields, that would still require each torp to be six hundred gigatonnes strong. That's about the power of three medium turbolaser shots.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
D. Sergez
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Gabriel Class Carrier

Post by D. Sergez »

Nimitz Class fighter

(Named after ADM Nimitz, who signed the peace treaty with Japan after WWII on behalf of the US Military aboard the USS Missouri)

http://shipschematics.net/startrek/imag ... ornet2.jpg
(same credit to http://shipschematics.net/)

Dimensions
H: 2m
W: 2.5m
L: 7m

Beam weapon output

50TeraWatts

-2 Class V phaser banks- forward firing arc.

Torpedo tubes
2x Micro photon tubes with 30 rounds total

-Forward firing

Weapon range/accuracy

Sheild Capacity

Hull

Single Duranium Tritanium Single hull

Low-power structural ingregrity feild

Maximum Warp 3.0 (TNG scale)

23000 Combat manuverabilty

for a total combat effectiveness close to 50

Sorry about the procrastination guys, After bootcamp I had some 'issues' in getting an internet connection.

But now to explain this mess... Ill go about and re-calc how many of them fit in the 'Gabe' class later.

modern fighters are fast, and agile so I designed this upon the F/A 18 Superhornets which actually serve as the Navys premier attack fighter.

I gave it only forward firing arc's because of the fact that no fighters actually posses this ability as of current. and Dogfighting is the combat classic. She only has a warp 3.0 engine just enough to get you out of a tight spot.

on a side note: this topic sure has gotten 'off' xD
"Let me get this straight. You've gone to all this trouble to program a three-dimensional environment that projects a two-dimensional image and now you're asking me to wear these to make it look three-dimensional again?" - B'Elanna to Tom.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

50 tW seems a bit light, no?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
D. Sergez

Post by D. Sergez »

Perhaps, but most modern fighters done really use guns, they all use missiles and other ordanance. Such as bombs. Perhaps your right though. Ill think on it
"Let me get this straight. You've gone to all this trouble to program a three-dimensional environment that projects a two-dimensional image and now you're asking me to wear these to make it look three-dimensional again?" - B'Elanna to Tom.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Actually, a major consideration on the F-22 was the inclusion of a 20mm cannon. I see your point though, I guess it's down to how much actual fighter-on-fighter dogfighting you'd expect.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Actually, a major consideration on the F-22 was the inclusion of a 20mm cannon. I see your point though, I guess it's down to how much actual fighter-on-fighter dogfighting you'd expect.
While that is true, it's more of a back up than anything else. Vietnam showed the folly of the all missile loadout with the F-4 and while the F-22 can kill anything in the world BVR, there's no need to repeat past mistakes.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly my point. However, as 'Trek goes, there seems to be a wider usage of phasers than for just when your torps run out.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I would imagine that if fighters were fielded a bit more regularly, they'd develop several classes as well. Anti fighter, Anti-Starship, and Planetary Attack spring to mind really quickly.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I still think the true role is support, but I'm not opening that argument up again.
as Bull offed Custer
D. Sergez

Post by D. Sergez »

If you look at the design specs, The 'Gabe' is more focused on starbase/planetary bombardment with teh sheer number of torpedo tubes, This fighters was idealicly designed for the fending off of smaller ships. The fighers as they are called are 'space superiority fighters' and are meant to be deployed in mass numbers, They attack as part of a 'wolf pack' so they combine their attack strengths. Perhaps 50TW is too low, But I tried to keep the overall strength around 50ish.