Stargate Universe
No votes

Total votes: 11
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Which is your favorite?

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Pick one or more! If you have reasons why you liked or disliked them, feel free to share!
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Which is your favorite?

I enjoyed SG1 as it was right after the movie and the characters were an amazing story for 10 years. SGA was also a runner up for me as it brought us the viewer a lot closer to understanding the mystery behind the ancients and their fabulous city. Universe just wasn’t my cup of tea. I tried to like it but couldn’t seem to get into the episodes, the characters, the plot.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I LOVE SG-1, have the boxset, have watched it through several times. I have SGA boxset, but have yet to actually watch it (or open it). I have seen a few SGA episodes a few years back when I had access to TV. I really must watch SGA!
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I Loved SG-1, and SG-A, though Universe grabbed me more than atlantis did (I haven't actually watched SG-A Season 2-onward more than twice, while I have seen both of Universe' multiple times)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SG1. Perfect mix of action/adventure with a stream of comedy.

First Prime : "You have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of!"
O'Neill : "You ended that sentence with a preposition, you bastard!"

Atlantis seemed interesting, but honestly I could never really get into it and there's still whole chunks I've never seen.

SGU was just too grimdark.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

With Atlantis, I often felt there were chunks I hadn't seen, and checked for several episodes and went "wait, so this is the episode AFTER x episode? Feels like they forgot to film one!" and I didn't mind SGU, I had battlestar galactica get me used to it, though season 1 was indeed more Grimdark than I liked.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

SG-1 definitely.

Atlantis just didn't know what to do with itself. After a while it became the McKay show and the rest of the characters became second fiddle to him. Beautiful visuals and could have been so much more.

Universe had its moments but it just didn't feel like a Stargate series.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:39 am I enjoyed SG1 as it was right after the movie and the characters were an amazing story for 10 years. SGA was also a runner up for me as it brought us the viewer a lot closer to understanding the mystery behind the ancients and their fabulous city. Universe just wasn’t my cup of tea. I tried to like it but couldn’t seem to get into the episodes, the characters, the plot.
Dude, I like your thinking!
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 pm I LOVE SG-1, have the boxset, have watched it through several times. I have SGA boxset, but have yet to actually watch it (or open it). I have seen a few SGA episodes a few years back when I had access to TV. I really must watch SGA!
I understand the lack of TV, had that at times in my life too and hard copies, DVD’s, etc are life savers! I hope you get the chance to watch the rest of the SGA episodes, I felt they were an excellent complimentary add-on to SG1 (plus, multiple episodes had crossovers from SG1. So they worked well keeping SG1 sole fans interested in watching SGA.

Ronan Dax vs. Teal’c. If you’ve seen it, you know how awesome it is! If you haven’t yet, I 100% recommend watching it.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

McAvoy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 am SG-1 definitely.

Atlantis just didn't know what to do with itself. After a while it became the McKay show and the rest of the characters became second fiddle to him. Beautiful visuals and could have been so much more.

I legitimately laughed at the “McKay show” comment!
I’ll agree that McKay was the theme in quote a few episodes, there were many that he was left out of too. Which the other characters got chances to hog the camera. Hindsight from what you’re saying though is this; any show, ANY shoe which starts using multiple realities, or duplicates of any sort of a main cast member... (multiple times too), that character is getting too much screen time compared to others. I did/do like the actor though. He had a lot of episodes where he wasn’t the token Ex machina, Dave the day, genius. One where he was reduced to a (idk how to say it PC?) mentally challenged person .. think Dustin Hoffman’s character in “Rainman”. Episodes of his huge ego destroying 3/4’s of a system and the aftermath of trying to sincerely apologize to Sheppard for his actions. The dock scene with the Doctor where he actually portrays some emotional devastation at the loss of his friend. I’ll stop the fanboy junk there. Idk if he was a fan favorite or not but as a actor, I can see why he got more lime light than the other cast at times.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:04 am
McAvoy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:28 am SG-1 definitely.

I legitimately laughed at the “McKay show” comment!
I’ll agree that McKay was the theme in quite a few episodes, there were many that he was left out of too. In which the other characters got their chances to hog the camera.

Hindsight from what you’re saying though is this; any show, ANY show which starts using multiple realities, or duplicates of any sort of a main cast member... (multiple times too), that character is getting too much screen time compared to others. I did/do like the actor though. He had a lot of episodes where he wasn’t the token Ex machina, Save the day, genius. One where he was reduced to a (idk how to say it PC?) mentally challenged person .. think Dustin Hoffman’s character in “Rainman”. Episodes of his huge ego destroying 3/4’s of a system and the aftermath of trying to sincerely apologize to Sheppard for his actions. The dock scene with the Doctor where he actually portrays some emotional devastation at the loss of his friend. I’ll stop the fanboy junk there. Idk if he was a fan favorite or not but as a actor, I can see why he got more lime light than the other cast at times.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 am With Atlantis, I often felt there were chunks I hadn't seen, and checked for several episodes and went "wait, so this is the episode AFTER x episode? Feels like they forgot to film one!" and I didn't mind SGU, I had battlestar galactica get me used to it, though season 1 was indeed more Grimdark than I liked.
I find the episode X (plot gaps and fillers) happen with a few different shows too. It’s annoying if you weren’t binge watching it and missed something important that comes back in later episodes to make you scratch your head at “when did this happen, get brought up, said by someone?” Moments.

I applaud you for your not minding SCU!
:) {skip to the ** if you wish to see why I applaud you}

I was so hyped for it when it was announced! Then tried to watch it.. tried again.. and again. Finally gave up.

I suppose it’s an internal issue that I watched SG1, then SGA, then SGU. I’ve wondered about what would’ve happened if I had watched these shows in reverse? SGU would probably be my favorite as I wouldn’t fall back on SG1 as the guideline for how the show should follow the older shows formula. **It was a show that should’ve be rated for its own merits and story, not judged by its predecessors. Most viewers didn’t do this, those who did, liked it somewhat.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 am SG1. Perfect mix of action/adventure with a stream of comedy.

First Prime : "You have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of!"
O'Neill : "You ended that sentence with a preposition, you bastard!"

Atlantis seemed interesting, but honestly I could never really get into it and there's still whole chunks I've never seen.

SGU was just too grimdark.
I loved the humor of SG1 and the cast members playing off of each other in various and humorous ways. So many jack one liners, so many “Indeeds” from Teal’c, so many science lessons from carter, and those geeky, nerdy, smart-ism from Daniel Jackson.

Daniel, “please, Teal’c is the deepest person I know, go on, say something Teal’c”.
Teal’c, “My depth is immaterial to this conversation”. Daniel, “Ooooohhh see what I mean!”.
O’Neill towards Daniel, “no more beers for you”.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Of the 8 votes to date, most seem to like SG1 the most! :)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am confused with the replies going on here...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"