they have a point, in my opinion
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "The Federation Doesn't Decide Which Species Lives or Di

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Indeed. Why wouldn't the Romulans have been left to die? Isn't that "the natural order" of things?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Indeed. Why wouldn't the Romulans have been left to die? Isn't that "the natural order" of things?
I would like to understand what the limits of the prime directive really are.
The romulus supernova in the first instance appears to be a natural event and a problem within the Romulan empire.
must it be applied in this case, even for a major power, a warp capable civilization?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

bladela wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Indeed. Why wouldn't the Romulans have been left to die? Isn't that "the natural order" of things?
I would like to understand what the limits of the prime directive really are.
The romulus supernova in the first instance appears to be a natural event and a problem within the Romulan empire.
must it be applied in this case, even for a major power, a warp capable civilization?
As the video points out, the Federation refused to become involved in the Klingon civil war specifically because it only affected the Klingons and so was an "internal" matter. They don't specifically invoke the PD, but it seems to be the same non-interference stuff they always talk about. They only intervene when it becomes clear that the Romulans are helping one side, making it a non-internal matter.

There certainly seems to have been a major shift from "we never intervene" to "we intervene... if we feel like. And not, if we don't."

Be nice if the show addressed this, wouldn't it? Riker could point out how the Picard who was comfortable watching civilisations die became the Picard who was furious at that very idea, and wonder what prompted it. Could make for a good scene.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote: As the video points out, the Federation refused to become involved in the Klingon civil war specifically because it only affected the Klingons and so was an "internal" matter. They don't specifically invoke the PD, but it seems to be the same non-interference stuff they always talk about. They only intervene when it becomes clear that the Romulans are helping one side, making it a non-internal matter.
my translation: they understood the enormous strategic damage of the loss of the klingons as allies and so ... fuck the non-interference, while acting in a formally limited form, but which in all respects could be considered an act of war against the Romulan empire.
There certainly seems to have been a major shift from "we never intervene" to "we intervene... if we feel like. And not, if we don't."
political, and mind you, in the case of the Klingon civil war, it was a correct choice ... committing suicide for non-interference (or the prime directive) would have made it just a totally stupid rule (at least seen with today's eyes).
Be nice if the show addressed this, wouldn't it? Riker could point out how the Picard who was comfortable watching civilisations die became the Picard who was furious at that very idea, and wonder what prompted it. Could make for a good scene.
yes, absolutely ... and therefore I doubt very much that there will be (even if i'm appreciating, so far, STP).