Coronavirus and racist attack

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Coronavirus and racist attack

Post by Nutso »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 am wait wait. which one is that +126%? Arkansas?
Kentucky.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

No, I think that's Kentucky. Arkansas is above and right of Texas. What's with the ones that are empty? Like North Dakota.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Hmm... that got me thinking.

What states have I visited:
  • California
  • Nevada
  • Arizona
  • Oregon
  • Wyoming
  • Utah
  • Texas
  • Illinois
  • North Carolina
  • Florida
  • New York
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • South Dakota
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:49 pm No, I think that's Kentucky. Arkansas is above and right of Texas. What's with the ones that are empty? Like North Dakota.
Probably not enough info gathered.

Arkansas is on the right of Oklahoma which is the state above Texas with long section on the left.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:24 am wait wait. which one is that +126%? Arkansas?
I do believe that's Kentucky.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:27 am
I do believe that's Kentucky.
Funny how someone overseas knows the states but I bet you ask an American off the street he or she probably wouldn't be able to tell you.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:05 am
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:27 am I do believe that's Kentucky.
Funny how someone overseas knows the states but I bet you ask an American off the street he or she probably wouldn't be able to tell you.
I thought New Hampshire was a state :)
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Why is "Arkansas" pronounced "Ar-kan-saw" when it 'obviously should be' "Ar-kanz-ass", especially given "Kansas" is pronounced "Kanz-ass"?

Not that we're ones to talk. Try telling me the pronunciation of "Loughborough", or even "Worcestershire", which is better known because of the sauce.

Without looking it up :)
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:20 am Why is "Arkansas" pronounced "Ar-kan-saw" when it 'obviously should be' "Ar-kanz-ass", especially given "Kansas" is pronounced "Kanz-ass"?

Not that we're ones to talk. Try telling me the pronunciation of "Loughborough", or even "Worcestershire", which is better known because of the sauce.

English be a fucked-up language, yo.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:20 am Why is "Arkansas" pronounced "Ar-kan-saw" when it 'obviously should be' "Ar-kanz-ass", especially given "Kansas" is pronounced "Kanz-ass"?

Arkansas' pronunciation has something to do with the French.

"Loughborough" I'm going to guess in pronounced lof-bow-row. Worcestershire is wur-ster-ser 'round these here parts.

Speaking of languages, why are the Welsh? "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The English language is a messed up language. We got words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently. Like bass and bass. Lead and lead. Minute and minute. Live and live. Just off of the top of my head.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nutso wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 am

Arkansas' pronunciation has something to do with the French.

"Loughborough" I'm going to guess in pronounced lof-bow-row. Worcestershire is wur-ster-ser 'round these here parts.
Not quite. It's more "luf-bur-re" Hear it here

Worcestershire - is "Wust-er-sher" Hear it here
Nutso wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 am Speaking of languages, why are the Welsh? "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"
It was basically a stunt to get the longest station name in the Britain. Locals don't really call it that. It translates as:

The church of St. Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the fierce whirlpool and the church of St. Tysilio by the red cave.

Here it here
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Obviously there are less french in "Kan-saw".
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:59 pm Obviously there are less french in "Kan-saw".
Kansas vs Arkansas pronunciation is a rabbit hole I do not want to go down. I am currently on the Hy-Brasil rabbit hole. As it comes down to it, the choice of pronunciations was just a decision made by people in control.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/584 ... ced-kansas
Actually, it took some time for Arkansans to come to agreement on pronunciation. In 1881, a heated disagreement between the state's two senators, one who said “arKANzis” and the other who said “ARkansaw,” led to a ruling by the state legislature making the “ARkansaw” pronunciation official. Ever since, Americans have gone along with the s-less, first-syllable-stressed version of Arkansas. At least when it comes to the state name. The people of Kansas don’t go any further than that. For them it's the “arKANzis” River, and “arKANzis” City.
Stan - South Park