The Enterprise Hull.

The Next Generation
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Enterprise Hull.

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

just been copying (with some edits) for a TNG-Style VOY TM I'm making before (well, probably not) going ahead with my Voy rewrite/fanfic.

... and this tickled my fancy when working out just how thick the hull is:
2.3 Hull Layers
The exterior shell of the spacecraft consists of multiple layers which afford structural and atmospheric integrity for the spaceframe, integral waveguides and field conductive members for the structural integrity field, and pathways for other utilities including deflector grids, as well as resistance to radiation and thermal energy.
The exterior shell substrate is composed of interlaced microfoam duranium filaments. These filaments are gamma-welded into a series of contiguous composite segments that are 4.7 cm thick and are typically two metres in width. The substrate segments are electron bonded to three reinforcing layers of 1.2cm biaxially stressed tritanium fabric, which provide additional torsion strength.
In areas immediately adjacent to major structural members, four layers of 2.3 cm fabric are used. The substrate layer is attached to the major structural members by electron-bonded duranium fasteners at 2.5 cm intervals. The substrate segments are not intended to be replaceable, except by phase-transition bonding using a transporter assembly jig during major starbase layovers.
Thermal insulation and secondary SIF conductivity are provided by two 3.76 cm layers of low density expanded ceramic-polymer composites. These layers are separated by an 8.7 cm multiaxis tritanium truss framework which provides additional thermal insulation and a pass-through for fixed utility conduits.
Radiation attenuation is provided by a 4.2 cm layer of monocrystal beryllium silicate infused with semiferrous polycarbonate whiskers. This layer is networked with a series of 2.3cm x 0.85 cm molybdenum-jacketed conduits. These conduits, which occur at 130 cm intervals, serve as tri-phase waveguides for the secondary structural integrity field. Conductive tritanium rods penetrate the waveguides at 10 cm intervals and transfer SIF energy into the ceramic-polymer conductive layer.
The outermost hull layer is composed of a 1.6 cm sheet of AGP ablative ceramic fabric chemically bonded onto a substrate of 0.15 cm tritanium foil. This material is formed into segments of approximately 3.7 m2 and is attached to the radiation attenuation layer by a series of duranium fasteners, which allows individual segments to be replaced as necessary. (Micrometeoroid erosion is kept to a minimum by the deflector shield system, but is sufficient to warrant replacement of 30% of the leading-edge segments on the average of every 9.3 Standard years.) Individual outer hull segments are machined to a tolerance of ±0.5mm to allow for minimum drag through the interstellar medium. Joints between segments are manufactured to a tolerance of ±0.2 mm.
Also incorporated into the outermost hull layer is a series of superconducting molybdenum-jacketed waveguide conduits which serves to distribute and disperse the energy of the tactical deflector system. Selected segments of this network also serve as radiators for starship thermal management.
The numbers, interior to exterior:
4.7 = Interlaced microfoam duranium filaments
1.2 = Reinforcing biaxially stressed tritanium fabric
1.2 = ^
1.2 = ^
3.76 = low-density expanded ceramic-polymer composite.
8.7 = multiaxis tritanium truss framework
3.76 = low-desnity expanded ceramic-polymer composite.
4.2 = monocrystal beryllium silicate infused with semiferrous polycarbonate whiskers for radiation attenuation
0.15 = tritanium foil substrate
1.6 = AGP ablative ceramic fabric sheet.

total?
30.47 cm. ... 30.47 cm.
... or 1 foot.

the hull of the Ent-D is thicker than MY LEGS.
thicker than my feet are long. (10" if you're wondering).
about the same size as my 22" 16:9 aspect monitor in height (bezel to bezel).

... and, well... the fact is that 1 foot is EXACTLY 30.48, yet it's 0.01 mm short to get 47.

See how Far They went for another "47"!?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Enterprise Hull.

Post by McAvoy »

Foot seems thick since we view it basically in our own way as a person. It's like seeing how thick concrete columns are needed or how thick a battleship's armor is. Scale.

But it does fit with what we see when we see the viewports in TNG. One foot of hull and then backed by structural members with interior coverings.

You could presume there are areas of the ship where it is thicker or even thinner depending on the purpose.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Enterprise Hull.

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Impressive details you’ve researched! There is a limited visual of hull thickness In the NX class we can see in the ent: episode “minefield”, but only barely. It does look as thick as an adults thigh/leg.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”