Caught up on DSC...for maybe a week

Discovery
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Caught up on DSC...for maybe a week

Post by sunnyside »

I haven't wanted to do the CBS all access thing, but instead have been getting myself the DVDs for Christmas. When checking on the series getting renewed I realized season 3 isn't out just yet ( I was worried with all the forced emotion at the end of season 2 that they hadn't gotten picked up again) so I suppose this is my chance to discuss the serious with the rest of you.

Like, well, everybody here it seems, I found it annoying they couldn't just set the series after DS9. However between messing with alternate dimensions and apparently hundreds upon hundreds of time travel incursions I've just settled in with saying that they're quite an alternative version and just let that go.

I actually expected to like it less than I do. I was worried about the series going full Mary Sue with the protagonist. However I appreciated that right out of the gate they had her making some what I would consider genuine serious mistakes.

I also appreciated that they actually came around and made logical sense of a couple things that had me groaning. For example the "one last jump" thing in season one and the whole chair business in season two.

Also they have some of what I consider core Trek elements of having somebody with space Aspergers, raising up engineers, actually seeing a group of professionals behaving professionally, and having a pretty functional if not utopian government they can work with and support. I've come to appreciate how rare those are.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Caught up on DSC...for maybe a week

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

I share your sentiments about this show. I asked for a vote of confidence from others here and they gave it without bias. In my boredom, I decided to watch episode #1. Was surprisingly amused by the story. Horrified by the Klingons. Intrigued by the Spore drive idea (though the could’ve come up with ANYTHING else scientifically name besides “spore” for it). I ended up waiting until episode 6 before I decided to get the whole 1st season (amazon prime) and episode 10 before I opted to purchase season 2.

For me personally, it’s a stand alone story for the most part. They try to incorporate ENT/TOS/TNG into the story but it’s only here and there.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

sunnyside wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:44 am Also they have some of what I consider core Trek elements of having somebody with space Aspergers, raising up engineers, actually seeing a group of professionals behaving professionally, and having a pretty functional if not utopian government they can work with and support. I've come to appreciate how rare those are.
I absolutely loved the casting of Tig Notaro as the engineer who seemed to have a fix for everything, while spore-man was busy with his man crush on his resurrected boyfriend. Whomever wrote for Tig, really knew her sense of humor, which is Sahara dry, and hilarious! Good on them for an innovative casting choice.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:24 am
sunnyside wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:44 am Also they have some of what I consider core Trek elements of having somebody with space Aspergers, raising up engineers, actually seeing a group of professionals behaving professionally, and having a pretty functional if not utopian government they can work with and support. I've come to appreciate how rare those are.
I absolutely loved the casting of Tig Notaro as the engineer who seemed to have a fix for everything, while spore-man was busy with his man crush on his resurrected boyfriend. Whomever wrote for Tig, really knew her sense of humor, which is Sahara dry, and hilarious! Good on them for an innovative casting choice.

..dry humor! That’s why I like it I think. Discovery keeps redeeming itself. There have been some dry spells in story or the broader story’s continuation, then it (episode) pulls a rabbit out of its hat and surprises me with something dry+witty & funny, charming, and/or connecting with the central story. While I hate the Spore drive name, the episode of the 147 jumps was exciting and graphically impressive to watch (for a TV series - I’m a fan of story, not visually stunning “transformers” special effects covering for crappy storytelling!) but kept me rooted by explanating the danger of it and following through with the Engineer getting mind screwed after it by the “one more jump”. I could’ve done without the consequences of that action... the mirror never gives good plots! Having the crew adapt and alter everything to try and fit in (And become darker) was a nice twist though. **trying to explain without too many spoilers here***.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ok! So I finished season 2. Season 3 trailer will not play for me on Amazon (possibly a premonition of reality to come?), but I was able to watch the S3 trailer on YouTube (hooray). Anywho.
Anyone get the feeling that the show isn’t coming back for a season 3? The OP for this comment brought it up too, forced emotion. They spent so much time.... omg SO much time saying their goodbyes to characters!? It felt like the shows finale, not the seasons. While there’s been a season 3 trailer, I don’t think it’s happening anytime soon.

And I’m sure some would be very happy for this, not pointing any ears at anyone, lol. Honestly, even if it does, I’m not sure where it could go (story-wise) anyways? If you’ve watched the trailer, you know the supposed next development. It’s kind of meh to me but hey... so was the show at first until I dug my heels in and watched it out of boredom. I still say it’s got good points and despite some bad ones, is a ok SciFi show to watch if you’re bored, stuck at home, can’t leave your house during a plague on humanity, refer to yourself as “Legend”, ect. As long as you don’t try to connect it to any other Star Trek shows, it’s ok. I hope you all know by now, I can nitpick the crap out of episodes. I chose not to and just (as I was asked once to, ‘just watch it and enjoy it’) gave it a try. I wasn’t disappointed. As for season 3? I just don’t see it happening.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Season 3 filming has been completed. They're supposed to be in post production, but given the work at home that may be slowed somewhat. They've already said that they didn't want Discovery on at the same time as Picard. Now that Picard is over they're moving towards Discovery again. In fact there was a season 3 trailer shown at the end of the last episode of Picard. It would be pretty spectacular if they dropped the show after filming an entire season. The cost involved would be amazing, all that spending for no return. That said now that Paramount and CBS are once again under a single roof things may improve for Star Trek. Granted they would have to get rid of Kurtzman, the sooner the better in that regard.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 am I still say it’s got good points and despite some bad ones, is a ok SciFi show to watch if you’re bored, stuck at home, can’t leave your house during a plague on humanity, refer to yourself as “Legend”, ect. As long as you don’t try to connect it to any other Star Trek shows, it’s ok. I hope you all know by now, I can nitpick the crap out of episodes. I chose not to and just (as I was asked once to, ‘just watch it and enjoy it’) gave it a try. I wasn’t disappointed.
I, for one, appreciate the lack of nitpicking in your overall tone about the show. And I agree with your feeling about it having good/bad points and being an ok SciFi show.

I understand the desire to surgically dissect everything about something you don't like, and put that evisceration online for all to see and debate. In this time of chaos and crisis, it is refreshing to see someone show enough restraint, not to do so. It's a tv show, and like it or despise, it shouldn't focus such vitriolic commentary when a simple 'It's not for me' is enough.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:04 pm
00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:06 am I still say it’s got good points and despite some bad ones, is a ok SciFi show to watch if you’re bored, stuck at home, can’t leave your house during a plague on humanity, refer to yourself as “Legend”, ect. As long as you don’t try to connect it to any other Star Trek shows, it’s ok. I hope you all know by now, I can nitpick the crap out of episodes. I chose not to and just (as I was asked once to, ‘just watch it and enjoy it’) gave it a try. I wasn’t disappointed.
I, for one, appreciate the lack of nitpicking in your overall tone about the show. And I agree with your feeling about it having good/bad points and being an ok SciFi show.

I understand the desire to surgically dissect everything about something you don't like, and put that evisceration online for all to see and debate. In this time of chaos and crisis, it is refreshing to see someone show enough restraint, not to do so. It's a tv show, and like it or despise, it shouldn't focus such vitriolic commentary when a simple 'It's not for me' is enough.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
Hahaha. You always crack me up! It’s awesome. Thank you.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:33 pm Season 3 filming has been completed. They're supposed to be in post production, but given the work at home that may be slowed somewhat. They've already said that they didn't want Discovery on at the same time as Picard. Now that Picard is over they're moving towards Discovery again. In fact there was a season 3 trailer shown at the end of the last episode of Picard. It would be pretty spectacular if they dropped the show after filming an entire season. The cost involved would be amazing, all that spending for no return. That said now that Paramount and CBS are once again under a single roof things may improve for Star Trek. Granted they would have to get rid of Kurtzman, the sooner the better in that regard.
CBS and Paramount under the same roof again? They’re taking this whole “stay at home” too seriously. As for Kurtzman, I educated myself rather quickly on his involvement (I hope you forgive me, when it comes to movies and shows, I’m not one who cares about whom produced it or wrote it, just it’s actors/actresses/story) in the Star Trek franchise. As for getting rid of him, the latest I’ve found suggests they have a 5-year contract (started 2019) still but that he’s not allowed on the set either(?), “in February, the (discovery) series was renewed for a third season with writer Michelle Paradise promoted to co-showrunner alongside Kurtzman. In October, Kurtzman said the third season would consist of 13 episodes”. Which is actually funny to me as they seem to be counting down? Season 1 = 15 episodes, Season 2 = 14 episodes, ect.

I did find this info (see weblink below this) Initially, I’m a little turned off by a CG Star Trek show but I was at the idea of a CG Star Wars show back when as well but that did ok (I suppose -never watched all of it). https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/06/ ... franchise/

As for further info of his being removed from the show, it sounds like he was (unofficially) fired but refuses to move on? Its all vague.

The Internet is if nothing else, rife with truth and false info alike... so who knows what the truth is. There’s probably a gag order in his contract preventing negative media propaganda. I DID find it interesting and possibly disturbing that netflix is helping to produce/budget the show. Netflix has good shows but also has horrid shows in its lineups which can make or destroy franchises given the chance.

Future will tell.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/06/ ... -horrible/