Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by T'Pau »

Equalizer 3: another in the series of films with plots that are easy to see coming, and conclusions to be expected. A nice reveal at the very end. Decent popcorn flick.

Warning: if you are not fluent in Italian, be preapred to read subtitles for 75% of the film. My guy hates subtitles so I translated the major plot point and naughty language for him :D
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Decent end to the trilogy. I had to warn my wife before she watched it to not constantly ask what was going on in the first scenes. You do find out but not right until the end.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

A Haunting In Venice
A very decent third in the series of Poirot movies by Kenneth Branagh

The Creator
Tails of the blindingly obvious sci-fi movie about a war with AI.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1: pretty much like all the previous teeny tiny tommy turns as Ethan Hunt...lots of action...plenty of stunts screamimg 'i am still young and struggling to be butch'...some decent humor scattered here and there (think top gear gone horribly wrong in the best way)..hoping the eventual part 2 will put the francaise to bed once and for all!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

No One Will Save You: another take on alien invasion of sorts...Katelyn Dever is fantastic in this mediocre scifi horror flick...some decent scares and wtf moments along the way.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

An observation on 'Dial of Destiny' and 'Dead Reckoning': both films had male stars who are aging out of the leading male/hero archetype, and in both films, they put these men into the tiniest Fiats for an extended car chase scene. In DoD, it WAS an upgrade from a tuk-tuk 3 wheeler, and in DR, it was set up with a large array of fancy expensive hero-type cars, leading you to believe that teenie tiny tommy would get the butch-manmobile...but NOOOO...he got the figit car, for his tiny little frame. Both situations make me laugh, but probably not in the way the writers/directors intended.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Paul. The movie with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Seth Rogan does the voice for the titular charscter Paul. An alien who has been on Earth for a long time and is now free.

I have no idea how this movie got past me. Never even heard of it until I saw a video on Tik Tok.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Wow, it's a great movie, but obviously not one of the three Cornetto movies.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:28 pm Wow, it's a great movie, but obviously not one of the three Cornetto movies.
I honestly forgot to look for the ice cream last night.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:08 am Paul. The movie with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Seth Rogan does the voice for the titular charscter Paul. An alien who has been on Earth for a long time and is now free.

I have no idea how this movie got past me. Never even heard of it until I saw a video on Tik Tok.
Loved that film when I saw it!
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I watched a film called Alterverse, which is filmed as one of those found-footage things, with interaction with the same couple from an alternate universe. Mostly the "primary" couple are just watching the others, after discovering their cameras can cross realities. I really liked it, but I have a deep fascination with alternate universes and parallel realities.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

A Haunting in Venice: another fine film in the series of Agatha Christie works by Kenneth Branagh. Plenty of unlikely twists and turns with the backdrop of Venice ( I suspect some liberal CGI clean up of the city and definitely the water, and all the more modern day boats and what-not ). You can certainly tell that KB is having such fun playing Poirot, with the twinkle in his eye and that magnificent moustash.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I've enjoyed all three of these and liked that this was one of the lesser known Poirot stories.

I would have loved to go on the boat used in the Death on the Nile movie, but unfortunately it was CGI.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Killer: Michael Fassbender as an elite killer dealing with issues when a job goes wrong. Thriller with a good amount of dark humor. Pay close attention to all the different aliases he uses..quite fun!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I don't think I've seen that one yet. I'm going to see "The Marvels" tomorrow. That and "Dream Scenario", the latest in a long line of pretty odd looking Nicolas Cage movies.
email, ergo spam