Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by T'Pau »

Saltburn: another twisty turny drama/thriller from the writer/director Emerald Fennell... very creepy, uncomfortable exploration of the "haves" and a clever "have not"...worth a watch!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

On my list.

I saw "Poor Things" the other day. I can't say I was impressed. It is supper odd, which can be good, but this just kinda does things to be very odd.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I also saw "The Beekeeper" and was somewhat disappointed. The trailer looked fantastic, however, the movie's first half seemed pretty flat. Perhaps it was badly edited or lacked some music but it just seemed dead in comparison to other of Jason's movies. He was his usual self, but it just didn't seem to work well. Everything else about it was OK, the baddies were all extreme a'holes and he dispatched them in decent ways. I just hope for the USA's sake that the government agency he breezed past in the later scenes aren't quite that incompetent...
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finally watched Ant-Man 3. It's not bad. A ton of CGI. MODAK isn't as bad as people said he was though comic book inaccurate. Cassie did annoy me but towards the end kinda made up for it when she admitted this was her mistake. More or less I think.

Just curious on how all those people got there in that realm. Semi humans and all. Also continuing the tradition of constantly removing the helmets in the middle of a battle since Endgame. I get it, it's to see the actor's face. Just annoying. Though with Ant-Man when all three shrink or get big I thought the helmet was to provide oxygen since the oxygen molecules would be too big when shrunk or too small for the lungs when as a giant.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I'm wrapping up the 2019-2020 seasons of NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, Superstore, and Young Sheldon.

I'm guessing in the worlds of the TV shows set in the present day of 2020, the COVID pandemic took off a little later than in real world. At the end of the season, not a face mask or physical distancing sign in sight. Not even a Purell station. Business are fully open. Two of the NCIS shows have main characters running bars, neither are locked down. I know episodes are filmed weeks in advance of their airdates, but it's still interesting to note. I know the pandemic was addressed in the final season of New Orleans, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it's addressed in the other shows.

I'm also finally watching Season 7 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, just starting the episode arc that takes place during Revenge of the Sith, and I'm about to start Season 4 of The Last Kingdom.
Last edited by Varthikes on Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

So over the last few days I've been watching season 1 of "Lost in Space", the new version. I'm pretty impressed with the updated story line. The robot is cool and other worldly. His connection to Will is will done, and the freaky ass "Doctor Smith" is a big upgrade on the original. Clearly a psychopath.

The original had one of the cool robots of its day. It's a classic 60s design along with the 1950s Forbidden Planet robot and Gort from "The Day the Earth Stood Still". All of their age with Gort being the one that should still stand out to this day. No matter what Keanu Reeves movies may have you think.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Watched Blue Beatle. The version I had didn't have subtitles. I would say about 1/5 of it was in Spanish so it wasn't too bad. I also know enough words to kinda make out what they are saying.

Its actually not a bad movie. Though I was confused if that Blue Beatle was used on someone else. Or exactly what was going on with the father of the rich girl.

Half way through 65. Did not know it was alien species visiting Earth 65 million years ago right at the time of the asteroid impact. Maye the end will explain why the aliens look human?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

IanKennedy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:29 pm I also saw "The Beekeeper" and was somewhat disappointed. The trailer looked fantastic, however, the movie's first half seemed pretty flat. Perhaps it was badly edited or lacked some music but it just seemed dead in comparison to other of Jason's movies. He was his usual self, but it just didn't seem to work well. Everything else about it was OK, the baddies were all extreme a'holes and he dispatched them in decent ways. I just hope for the USA's sake that the government agency he breezed past in the later scenes aren't quite that incompetent...
I agree. Seemed a low budget John Wick, lacking more info about the whole Beekeeper group. Ending does leave it ripe for a sequel (direct to streaming). Hopefully they will not feature the same female FBI agent (actress from the Umbrella Academy), and include the standard shirtless Jason that is in every other film he has done. Heck, he scubas in a dry suit over street clothes..what's up with that?? LOL
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Second viewing seemed a little better, likely because I had lowered my expectations by then :)
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Finished the Percy Jackson and the Olympians tv series (8 episodes on Disney+).. not as good as the film version, and definitely Disney-fied with cast choices, but not terrible. Seems more in line with the book series, geared for youth readers.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Watched Aquaman 2. Not a bad movie all in all.

But holy Lord of the Rings ripoff Batman! The Lost Kingdom might as well been Modor with more fancy green lights.

There seems to be more humor in this one. Trying to do the whole brother-brother humor routine.

Oceanmaster (can't remember his name) eating some cockroach due to a joke from Aquaman may have gone over his head. I am assuming Atlanteans eat shellfish which are just big versions of our own insects. Wouldn't have surprised me if he liked the taste of bugs.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Not much I can say about it. I thiught initially they were over using the music until I realized there was a bit of theme for it. Gamorra I thought she would join Guardians at the end because that would be the Hollywood predictable ending. Also shows why she didnt. This Gamorra found her own family and does nail in the fact she isn't the original.

Adam Warlock I thought at one point being underused but I grew to appreciate that what he was really doing in the movie is playing catch up and was basically a child. He wasn't going to come for a pure action show type of ending where he show up and beat up the bad guy for the Guardians.

Debating about watching The Abyss (yes that one) again since it's been a very very long time since I saw it or watch season 3 of The Witcher.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Loved The Abyss when it first came out...still a good watch!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The Abyss is great. Once you get over the dyslexic worry that it is about nuns. :)
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:18 am The Abyss is great. Once you get over the dyslexic worry that it is about nuns. :)
I don't get it. Like I said haven't seen it in a long time. Like I am not even sure when I last saw it. So I don't get that reference.