Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, I saw Belfast. It is pretty good. It is a Kenneth Branagh movie. Buddy is a loosely fictionalised version of Branagh's early life.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Yup, he is nominated for several Oscars for this film...director, producer, original screenplay...should finally snag that elusive golden naked man statue this time around!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Power of the Dog: A western set in 1925 Montana, filmed in New Zealand...ugh!
Plot was quite slow moving, as most of Campion's films tend towards, focusing on ponderous dialogue delivered by skilled actors...ugh!
As with most films of late, the big 'reveal' was again telegraphed so far ahead of the 'moment', that it lost most of the punch it wanted to deliver...ugh!
Will it win a massive amount of awards this year...very likely...ugh!
And yet, at the end of it all, even with the faults, it was a good film...surprise!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:23 pm I've a big run set for Wednesday. Four films:
  • The Batman
  • The Duke
  • Death On The Nile
  • Uncharted
Uncharted - I saw a while ago and it was OK, but nothing great.
Death On The Nile - A pretty good version of a classic.
Going to try see The Batman on Saturday. The reviews say it's good and from what I have read, fan reviews are overwhelming positive.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The Duke was good but also somewhat ruined by the twist at the end.

Death on the Nile was excellent and stood up to a rewatch.

Uncharted is mediocre at best. Typical computer game turned movie.

The Batman. Well... I've seen better... I've started a SPOILER thread on the movie its self.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Turning Red: A Pixar animated film...super annoying characters all around...main plot alluding toward puberty...meh!

Dog: Channing Tatum stars and directs this surprisingly good film about two former soliders (one human one canine) on a journey to heal each other.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Thinking of seeing dog on Wednesday. Looking interesting.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Adam Project: a wonderful take on time travel, with little nods to other films of the genre. A Ryan Reynolds prodeuced and starring project, with Jennifer Gardner and Mark Ruffalo. Definitely worth a warch!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Spider-man No Way Home: wild cgi blockbuster...it was good though left me a bit...cold I guess. Kinda like the whole forced to connect all Marvel properties to one another is taking away some of the 'feels'.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 am Spider-man No Way Home: wild cgi blockbuster...it was good though left me a bit...cold I guess. Kinda like the whole forced to connect all Marvel properties to one another is taking away some of the 'feels'.
Pfft blasphemy.

I just rewatched it last night. It does feel forced in brining back the other two Spider Men. Infinite realities and only two extra show up? There should be even more.

I get it, it's the Holland Spider Man and brining in more Spider Men like Miles Morales would just overwhelm the whole movie.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I'm with T'Pau, Spider-man No Way Home, was alright... but not great. Spiderman being revealed led to him asking Dr Strange cast a spell and then became incredibly whiny about the effects, causing the screw up and leading to the films basic premise. You are supposed to accept that based on the fact that he is young, but he's not that young, he's about to go to university.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Having the other Spidies wasn't the point I was making, as much as each film/tv mini series (6 episodes usually) is missing some overall ooomph for itself by being wedged into the 'must connect to other/next up properties' mold. Not every viewer needs to be pulled along with easter eggs and moments that harken back or foreshadow what is next in line. In the early Marvel days, it was less evident. Guess I miss that <shrug>
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:57 am I'm with T'Pau, Spider-man No Way Home, was alright... but not great. Spiderman being revealed led to him asking Dr Strange cast a spell and then became incredibly whiny about the effects, causing the screw up and leading to the films basic premise. You are supposed to accept that based on the fact that he is young, but he's not that young, he's about to go to university.
How old are the kids that go to university over the pond? Here it is 18. 18 year Olds are pretty stupid.

I should know, I was one once. And I was dumb as hell.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It is 18 here also.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Cyrano: wanted to see this because of Peter Dinklage...have enjoyed his work since the failed tv show "Threshold", including his earlier breakthrough role in 'The Station Agent', and his starring show stealing turn in all 8 seasons of "Game of Thrones"...however as a singer, he does his best using the classic 'Rex Harrison' style of speak-sing, yet it is still quite terrible...brilliant acting was not enough to keep me watching this musical adaptation of the tale...ouch!