Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Breaking and Betrayal of Gul Dukat's Character

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What I've read is that the writers always intended Dukat (I'm convinced his first name is 'Felix') to be a "Hitler" type, and his own justifications of what he did (often "I wasn't as bad as I could/should have been") were supposed to make the audience recoil in disgust. But Alaimo played him so brilliantly and charismatically that he became extremely popular, and a major portion of the fandom started buying into his explanations and saying "yeah, he's not such a bad guy really".

People were even hoping for a relationship between Dukat and Kira, where she would wake up to the obvious good in him and fall in love with him, which appalled the writers and Nana Visitor both.

So as the end of DS9 approached the writers decided to 'put an end to it' and do everything they could to make the fans hate him. Which is why he goes crazy, starts ranting that he should have killed everyone on Bajor, then gets possessed by a demon and tries to wipe out the galaxy. A lot of fans weren't happy about it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:What I've read is that the writers always intended Dukat (I'm convinced his first name is 'Felix') to be a "Hitler" type, and his own justifications of what he did (often "I wasn't as bad as I could/should have been") were supposed to make the audience recoil in disgust. But Alaimo played him so brilliantly and charismatically that he became extremely popular, and a major portion of the fandom started buying into his explanations and saying "yeah, he's not such a bad guy really".

People were even hoping for a relationship between Dukat and Kira, where she would wake up to the obvious good in him and fall in love with him, which appalled the writers and Nana Visitor both.

So as the end of DS9 approached the writers decided to 'put an end to it' and do everything they could to make the fans hate him. Which is why he goes crazy, starts ranting that he should have killed everyone on Bajor, then gets possessed by a demon and tries to wipe out the galaxy. A lot of fans weren't happy about it.
Ah, DS9. Making villains we love. Yeah, Marc Alaimo was just too damned charismatic to hate. I was heartbroken when he switched sides to the Dominion but, I understood he did it to make Cardassia strong again!
Stan - South Park
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Nutso, Wasn't that an actual line of dialogue? because I have this image in my head of him saying it, to Kira.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:Nutso, Wasn't that an actual line of dialogue? because I have this image in my head of him saying it, to Kira.
'I did it to make Cardassia strong again'. Dukat to Sisko.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:Nutso, Wasn't that an actual line of dialogue? because I have this image in my head of him saying it, to Kira.
Yep. To Sisko.
Stan - South Park
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

and suddenly, with trump saying those lines would be hilarious, and being trump entirely undercuts the seriousness of the scene ;)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:and suddenly, with trump saying those lines would be hilarious, and being trump entirely undercuts the seriousness of the scene ;)
When I rewatched Enterprise, Terra Prime's Earth First was uncomfortablely close to the 'America First' rhetoric I hear from Pro Trumpers.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:and suddenly, with trump saying those lines would be hilarious, and being trump entirely undercuts the seriousness of the scene ;)
I wasn't going for a Trump angle, I just remember how Marc Alaimo enunciated "strong again," and it resonated with me all these years later. Sure Trump and Dukat are evil but, Dukat had a charm and wit about him, and clearly loved his daughter in a non-sexual way.

Thinking about it, I guess the phrase "Make Cardassia Strong Again," is how the Gul Dukat Twitter account came to be.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:
I wasn't going for a Trump angle, I just remember how Marc Alaimo enunciated "strong again," and it resonated with me all these years later. Sure Trump and Dukat are evil but, Dukat had a charm and wit about him, and clearly loved his daughter in a non-sexual way.

Thinking about it, I guess the phrase "Make Cardassia Strong Again," is how the Gul Dukat Twitter account came to be.
I wouldn't say Trump is evil, far from it really. I also wouldn't say Dukat is evil either until starts messing around with the Pah Wraiths.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I also wouldn't say Dukat is evil either until starts messing around with the Pah Wraiths.
His behaviour as Prefect of Bajor says otherwise - don't forget that he was Gul Darhe'el's boss, and did absolutely nothing to even rein him in.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Irony, I’m watching “return to grace”, where dukat is so fixated on getting his power and authority back it’s almost sickening at times, yet the lines and acting are balanced just so, making him approach that edge of no return in the eyes of the audience.. then back away a few steps. Allowing us to believe he still has redeemable qualities.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:19 am Irony, I’m watching “return to grace”, where dukat is so fixated on getting his power and authority back it’s almost sickening at times, yet the lines and acting are balanced just so, making him approach that edge of no return in the eyes of the audience.. then back away a few steps. Allowing us to believe he still has redeemable qualities.
That is what makes him such a great character. It's only until the end where Dukat goes full on Dark Side. But before that he was something else.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:41 pm
00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:19 am Irony, I’m watching “return to grace”, where dukat is so fixated on getting his power and authority back it’s almost sickening at times, yet the lines and acting are balanced just so, making him approach that edge of no return in the eyes of the audience.. then back away a few steps. Allowing us to believe he still has redeemable qualities.
That is what makes him such a great character. It's only until the end where Dukat goes full on Dark Side. But before that he was something else.
Indeed! The moment of betrayal and everyone (including viewers) thinking he’s off on his own to attack the Dominion fleet, only to tell Maj. Kira what he’s actually doing. I don’t blame her for her next command in the least! Or —> “Lock phasers on target and fire”. Too late, he’s gone to warp... :bangwall:
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”