Orville moved off Fox to Hulu

T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Orville moved off Fox to Hulu

Post by T'Pau »

Appears that with the Orville going bigger for season 3 and missing their expected debut date on Fox, the decision has been made to move the series to the streaming service Hulu for season 3. No idea if Hulu will also carry the previous seasons, or any more to follow. Don't expect to see more Orville until late 2020, if that soon.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Orville moved off Fox to Hulu

Post by Nutso »

Dammit.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Recent article stated that it could be 2021 before Orville will premiere on Hulu, due to the pandemic.

The further away the season 3 is moved, the more I wonder if it will ever appear.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

That is very sad news. It’s the Star Trek series we deserve, rather than the ones we’re getting.

Graham and I were debating including STP on the site before he became ill. If I can get the energy together then I may add it myself. I can’t vouch for the quality of the entries though.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Just saw an interview with Seth and he stated that they were in middle of filming season 3 when all productions stopped due to CV19. Seems like it will return, eventually based on the interview.

I would imagine that forum members would be willing to submit STP entries, if that would help.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It’s something I’m pondering. I think I’m a little dyslexic but I’m not bad at technical documents. We’ll see.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

A new interview with Seth yesterday with Jimmy Fallon. He talked about his animated shows, his executive producing of the latest 'Cosmos', his new album of vocal music, and as almost an off-side stated that Orville is "up in the air" and "we'll have to see". Previous interviews he spoke about being half way through filming season three, and now it's 'up in the air'.

Gotta wonder what's really going on over at Hulu, with regards to the show.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It would be a great shame to see it go. I suspect it's down to filming difficulties with the pandemic.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:05 am It would be a great shame to see it go. I suspect it's down to filming difficulties with the pandemic.
I think so too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I wonder if the budget was vastly different with the move to Hulu...perhaps all the cgi they planned wasn't doable and now it is a scramble to make something work. 2020 will likely kill off or postpone lots of entertainment options.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It doesn’t strike me as a high budget series.

Covid will screw with a lot of shows and movies.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Orville actually struck me as one of those "we blew the budget on sets and cgi please excuse the use of clearly-rented sets. (like the pilot episode's university/whateverthatwas.)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I am still bitter that this guy, Seth McFarlane, is an actual Trekkie, he is a successful executive producer in his own right, and he went to CBS with a Star Trek pitch, which they rejected but instead chose Alex Kurtzman's vision. The bitterness comes in that The Orville is clearly TNG in the way it tackles political-sociological issues, and that would have been Seth McFarlane's Star Trek. The Orville is the only spiritual successor to TNG/DS9/VOY.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

yeah, there's not much space-travel scifi and so little (aka, TNG and Orville AFAIK) of it is overall positive, the rest all grimdark in some way. Even Stargate, what with the Goauld, Replicators and then the Ori in SG-1, and Wraith, Replicators, Try-Hard Genii... Universe was just outright grimdark.

To Paraphrase Game of Thrones... Space is Dark and Full of Terrors. Find a Scifi story set in space that doesn't even dip their toes in the horror genre... and don't name Star Trek or Orville. I'll wait. No, not Firefly. Reavers, remember? No, not Battlestar Galactica - post-apocalyptic refugees fleeing an army that probably (later confirmed) had agents in hiding.

I had looked forward to a film called Sunshine (with that guy from peaky blinders and also the pilot was played by CHRIS EVANS) but the trailers I saw did NOT show it as a horror, yet guess what genre it was? (and therefore what happened to the first 'Icarus' ship, with the setting of the film being 'Icarus II'.