Hypothetical

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hypothetical

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Inspired by the Cracked podcast...

You do a favour for somebody who turns out to be a wizard. (The suggestion was driving him to the airport.) As a reward, the wizard makes the following offer : he will transport you in time to any historical era. Not the present or near present... let's say a minimum of 150 years ago, but no upper limit. As an added bonus, he will arrange the universe so that when you arrive you are the richest person in the country in that era. There's no catch or anything; you simply live out the rest of your life there.

Question : would you accept this offer?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Hypothetical

Post by Vic »

If I were still single, yes, probably latter half of the 18th century right here in the colonies (US). Or to be more extreme, 1st or 2nd Dynasty Egypt, always had a fascination with early Khemet.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The Bronze Age Collapse, just to see what the hell happened.

but that's if I had to accept it. If I didn't, I'd politely decline.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

At first I thought there could be places I'd go. But... you have to live out your life there. And there's no computers. No internet. No electricity. No cars. No television or cinema. No recorded music. No antiseptic, antibiotics, or anaesthetic - most things classed as medicine were much more likely to kill you than help you. No sewers; the city streets were the sewers for both humans and animals, and nobody knew why that might be problematic.

And the richest man in the world couldn't buy his way out of any of that. I can imagine wanting to see the pyramids being built, or whatever... but as a tourist. But to stay there and live there? Hell no. IMO, we live in the best time ever.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:At first I thought there could be places I'd go. But... you have to live out your life there. And there's no computers. No internet. No electricity. No cars. No television or cinema. No recorded music. No antiseptic, antibiotics, or anaesthetic - most things classed as medicine were much more likely to kill you than help you. No sewers; the city streets were the sewers for both humans and animals, and nobody knew why that might be problematic.

And the richest man in the world couldn't buy his way out of any of that. I can imagine wanting to see the pyramids being built, or whatever... but as a tourist. But to stay there and live there? Hell no. IMO, we live in the best time ever.
Exactly. Now if you got your vaccinations you would be OK with some of crap being passed around but not all of it.

Being rich would help with your knowledge of how certain things work but it would carry only so far. You would know to avoid the lead cups and plates. You would know to avoid using any of the so called medicines. You might be able to have a primitive piping system for your place.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:At first I thought there could be places I'd go. But... you have to live out your life there. And there's no computers. No internet. No electricity. No cars. No television or cinema. No recorded music. No antiseptic, antibiotics, or anaesthetic - most things classed as medicine were much more likely to kill you than help you. No sewers; the city streets were the sewers for both humans and animals, and nobody knew why that might be problematic.

Got it in one, Graham. I like the little things, like running water and power and insulation and a snow-thrower for the wintertime!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's also good to have a "net" that you can do more than fish with :)
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:It's also good to have a "net" that you can do more than fish with :)
The wealth of human knowledge at one's fingertips. And cat videos! :D
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Especially the cat videos... and video of Russians crashing into each other.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And insane industrial accidents!

But yeah. If it was a metaphorical day trip, the Bronze Age Collapse to see just what the hell happened.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I suppose if I was rich as hell then it wouldn't be too bad living in Ancient Roman times. Maybe not in Rome.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"