Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: "Star Trek: Picard" Teaser

Post by Nutso »

Back-up link from Sir Patrick's twitter.
https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1 ... 2673012736
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That's a good teaser. it entices us and left us wanting more.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So, the Picard vinyard has robots flying all over it now. Uh huh.

And the big rescue armada they're talking about... that's gonna be a rescue effort for Romulus because of the nova. Meaning that the single biggest plot reveal of the trailer is that Picard is being linked into the JJ-verse. Yeah.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So, the Picard vinyard has robots flying all over it now. Uh huh.

And the big rescue armada they're talking about... that's gonna be a rescue effort for Romulus because of the nova. Meaning that the single biggest plot reveal of the trailer is that Picard is being linked into the JJ-verse. Yeah.
I mean, the destruction of Romulus didn't occur in the JJ-verse (yet). The destruction of Romulus occurred in the original universe sparking the time travel that created the JJ-verse. Picard should have no inkling of the JJ-verse, only that they failed to save the planet and Ambassador Spock was (regrettably) lost.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:So, the Picard vinyard has robots flying all over it now. Uh huh.

I mean, the destruction of Romulus didn't occur in the JJ-verse (yet). The destruction of Romulus occurred in the original universe sparking the time travel that created the JJ-verse. Picard should have no inkling of the JJ-verse, only that they failed to save the planet and Ambassador Spock was (regrettably) lost.
That's actually a debateable question. On the surface, sure, you're right. But why do we assume that the nova happened in the original timeline, rather than a parallel one? We don't actually know that. There's nothing to prove that it is so, really. We know that it's the universe inhabited by the character of "Spock Prime" seen in the movie, but is that Spock the Spock seen in the original series and related movies? Or is that a Spock from a parallel, very similar, but different timeline? We don't know. Likewise, is this Picard the original Picard, or is he some parallel but different Picard?

We have only the showrunners word that the timeline they are depicting is the original series timeline, and these are the same showrunners that claim Discovery is part of that timeline too.

As far as behind the scenes info is concerned, the Trek '09 movie was made under the alternate licence, required to be legally distinguishable from the original Trek. So arguably, this is Bad Robot's take on the original timeline, not the actual original timeline.

And this would explain a couple of things; why the Kelvin looks so different to TOS ships, why Kirk was born on the Kelvin and not in Iowa, etc.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:

That's actually a debateable question. On the surface, sure, you're right. But why do we assume that the nova happened in the original timeline, rather than a parallel one? We don't actually know that. There's nothing to prove that it is so, really. We know that it's the universe inhabited by the character of "Spock Prime" seen in the movie, but is that Spock the Spock seen in the original series and related movies? Or is that a Spock from a parallel, very similar, but different timeline? We don't know. Likewise, is this Picard the original Picard, or is he some parallel but different Picard?

We have only the showrunners word that the timeline they are depicting is the original series timeline, and these are the same showrunners that claim Discovery is part of that timeline too.

As far as behind the scenes info is concerned, the Trek '09 movie was made under the alternate licence, required to be legally distinguishable from the original Trek. So arguably, this is Bad Robot's take on the original timeline, not the actual original timeline.

And this would explain a couple of things; why the Kelvin looks so different to TOS ships, why Kirk was born on the Kelvin and not in Iowa, etc.
Honestly I would say when the people making the show provided answers to those questions it's not up to us to say "I don't like that." And then try to shoehorn in our own explanations. It looks different because VFX abilities have changed.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Honestly I would say when the people making the show provided answers to those questions it's not up to us to say "I don't like that." And then try to shoehorn in our own explanations. It looks different because VFX abilities have changed.
The people making the show are not the boss of us. They can tell us what they intend, and we can accept it or not accept it. Given that the people currently making the show have a history of making up deliberate lies to 'explain' their actions, I don't feel any particular need to hew to their idea of what's going on.

YMMV, of course.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

It is a good teaser, I like it...but.....as much as I am hopefull and gleefull that we will get TNG cast back (I suppose there will be plenty of cameos just for the cheap nostalgia value).........isn't Sir Patrick getting a bit old for that?

Now I don't know what condition he is in but at 78 years....there is literally no long term planning of such a series....and he really is starting to show his age. From a story view I wonder what Starfleet could possibly want from a retired Admiral Picard...something - after 15 years - can literally not be done by anyone else?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, I wonder if he's going to take kind of a back seat in this series. Originally I thought maybe he would be the guy who sends people out on missions, so you'd get like a five minute "here's your mission" scene at the start and then a five minute "what did we learn today" at the end.

I don't think it's going to be quite that, but I do think it will be a TNG-esque setup where there's a Picard on the ship (or whatever) and a Riker type to go do all the rolling around shooting and screwing the alien space babes... only more so.

And I can't imagine they have a long term plan in mind for this show. To be brutal, if they ran it 7 seasons Steward is going to be 85 when it's done, and I can't imagine him managing it. I see this show going 2-3 years at most.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I got the feeling it was a short run and one series only. I don't know why.
email, ergo spam
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

IanKennedy wrote:I got the feeling it was a short run and one series only. I don't know why.
According to IMDB it is a 10 episode season. Makes sense from the point of view of him not willing/able to do multiple 25 episodes seasons anymore.

But if it will only run for one season....interesting concept from a business point of view. Now I am nowhere near a Hollywood executive but I wonder what you can expect from a one series 10 episodes show....

I guess Graham is right, maybe he will take a backseat or even die/disappear after the first season and this is just them testing the waters if there is even any interest in continuing the prime timeline. If so I hope he has a rather small role but then.....ther series IS called Picard.....

To be honest...not sure how I should feel about the whole thing. On one hand hopefull...but on the other hand....they seem to just milk an almost dry cow for nostalgia value.....
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Atekimogus wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:I got the feeling it was a short run and one series only. I don't know why.
But if it will only run for one season....interesting concept from a business point of view. Now I am nowhere near a Hollywood executive but I wonder what you can expect from a one series 10 episodes show....

To be honest...not sure how I should feel about the whole thing. On one hand hopefull...but on the other hand....they seem to just milk an almost dry cow for nostalgia value.....
To the first point: Mini-series are a thing. I imagine they have a specific story they want to tell in 10 episodes and will likely leave it open to continuation if interest (both fan interest and Sir Patrick) is there.

To the second: I doubt very much that Patrick Stewart needs the paycheck so I don't think we would return unless it was worthwhile. I'm cautiously optimistic.

And if I think there's a lot of potential in a post-Romulus story. One of the things that intrigued me most in JJ Trek was the implications for the Prime timeline of a crippled Romulan Empire.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I really got nothing from that trailer. What are we as Trek fans expecting? Is it a sci fi political series? Is it some sort of last hurrah for him? Is it passing the torch? What is this about?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:I really got nothing from that trailer. What are we as Trek fans expecting? Is it a sci fi political series? Is it some sort of last hurrah for him? Is it passing the torch? What is this about?
"A combination of all 3."[/Bogart]
It's a teaser and we're complaining the trailer didn't give away the entire plot?