Disco-verse Fleet Size

Discovery
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Disco-verse Fleet Size

Post by DSG2k »

Per the illustrious "359" at StarfleetJedi.Net, the most recent STD episode claims a Starfleet of 7,000 starships.

This is way too high compared to the late 2250s in TrueTrek, especially if they just lost tons of ships to the Clawngon war. The highest NCC as of the TMP era was the Entente, NCC-2120. Are they assigning three or four ships per registry?

Additional reading on the Original Universe fleet in the Original Series / TMP era:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics2.html
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Disco-verse Fleet Size

Post by bladela »

DSG2k wrote:Per the illustrious "359" at StarfleetJedi.Net, the most recent STD episode claims a Starfleet of 7,000 starships.

This is way too high compared to the late 2250s in TrueTrek, especially if they just lost tons of ships to the Clawngon war. The highest NCC as of the TMP era was the Entente, NCC-2120. Are they assigning three or four ships per registry?

Additional reading on the Original Universe fleet in the Original Series / TMP era:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics2.html
could a ship not have a ncc number? the raven got a NAR number (yes...the Hansen weren't starfleet officers, but still starfleet could have ships like that)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Couldn't that include member species own fleets? There has always been references to member species ships so there very well could be a Vulcan or Andorian fleets that could join Starfleet's own fleet. Like Nato exercises.

Like 2000 Earth style, 1200 Vulcan, 1200 Andorian, 600 Tellerite, 2000 other species.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

We really don't know much about how big the TOS fleet was. IIRC, just about the only reference was that there are 12 starships like the Enterprise. There's three basic way to take that :

Those twelve ships are all the Starships. Starfleet consists of those, plus starbases, plus shuttles and such. Nothing else. A 12 ship starfleet, essentially.

Those twelve ships are the "big sticks", akin to the battleships in pre-carrier days. There would also be numerous destroyers, frigates, scouts, etc. A starfleet whose strength is anything from dozens to hundreds.

Those twelve ships are just the particular class that Enterprise belongs to. There are other classes of the same type, just as a navy of the pre-carrier days might operate several battleship classes. As such the navy would comprise at least several dozen full on starships, plus supporting cruisers, destroyers, etc. Starfleet strength several hundred ships to perhaps 1,500.

A lot of the TOS novels support option 1, which always bugged me. Some support option 2, which seems way more reasonable to me. Option 3, a possibility.

The fact that one Starbase had ten ships stationed at it in "Court Martial", rules out option 1 for me. It's ridiculous to imagine over 80% of the fleet being repaired at one base. That heavily argues for option 2, if not 3. In fact with about twelve starbases known during TOS, assume 10 at each, and that say 1/2 of the fleet is in dock at any given moment, and that would be 240 ships. Seems just about right to me.

But yeah, seven thousand is a way high number for TOS. I'd believe it for TNG+ without issue, but not for TOS.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. I was throwing out my numbers as a way to rationalize 7000 ships.

I always viewed the TOS fleet as being in the low thousand. Like 1200 to 1500 and that is based on the NCC numbers.

I think alot of us if not all never viewed the 12 ship figure as the total fleet. Just that there was 13 ships in the Constitution class. I also like the idea that additional ships very similar to the Consitutuion class was built with incremental changes.

The US Navy did it with their 'Standard type' of battleships.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"