Identity 1 (Spoileriffic)

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Identity 1 (Spoileriffic)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

WOW!

Looooved Bortas's "I do not want that piece. I want a corner piece." and "I hate this party." Moclans work best in relatively small doses as comic relief.

Also, it's interesting that for all the Moclans are played up as a bunch of highly militarised alpha male types, we've never seen Bortas doing much in the way of fighting. On landing parties Alara was the muscle, whilst Bortas typically stayed on the ship. In fact he doesn't seem to particularly consider himself a 'warrior' or seek combat, doesn't seem especially interested in weapons or military history - and nor does Klyden or most Moclans we've met. Moclans are often spoken of as Klingon-equivalents, but when you think about it they're really not especially similar.

So Isaac keels over and 'dies'. We learn that this is because he's fulfilled his mission of studying humans/the Union, so his bosses back home sent the shutdown order. The Kalon have FTL communications that fit within a single body.

The Kalon planet... I kind of expected more of it, to be honest. At least it should have been a cityplanet, like Moclas seems to be well on the way to being. Imagine mile after mile of banks of computer memory, covering whole continents. Or something! What we actually got was just another cityscape.

The giant tetris game was a bit odd too.

The Planetary Union is composed of "over three hundred planetary governments". As with Trek, one is forced to wonder what this includes and what it doesn't. Take the amusement park planet... is that one of the three hundred? Or are only 'home planets' like Earth, Moclas and Xeleya 'planetary governments', with colonies that aren't counted towards that number?

Liked the reveal of The Cave of Skulls. Nicely freaky!

Okay, the Kalon head guns looked silly. I get the practicalities of having inbuilt weapons, and I get the practicality of leaving the arms/hands free whilst still being able to fire... it just looked silly!

Wow, that was quite the Holy Fuck moment when the Kalon fleet took off, wasn't it? Can't wait for next week!

Hmmm, the motivation for conquering Earth seems to be the desire for more building space for computer gear. But again, wouldn't this make a lot more sense if Kalon itself was wholly "built over" already?

And couldn't they just use some other planet? For example, why not go to Mars instead of Earth? It's cold and dry, which computers like. There's no air, but who cares, they don't need air. There must be dozens of available planets for every inhabited one, so why can't the Kalon just use those?

Hell, even if they need M-class environments for some reason, surely there are M-class planets with no sentient civilisation on them. We know relatively little about how many planets are available to the Union, but we do know there are planets with a single research facility on them, there are planets that are devoted to a giant amusement park. This to me implies that there are plenty of planets to spare!

Or is it more that the Kalon desire a lack on competition? In which case, ultimately they will have to attack everyone else. Ouch.

How I see this going...

Isaac will learn a lesson in humanity and change sides. He will infiltrate the Kalon mainframe and shut them all down or reboot them with new software or something, ending the war. The Kalon will be destroyed, leaving him the last of his kind, or will turn good.

Very minor point in favour of this idea - remember how in Alara's simulation, Isaac's eyes went red when he turned evil? All the Kalon on the planet had red eyes... but Isaac still had his blue ones. A signal that he's still good?

Aside - is Red-eyed-Isaac the Goatee-bearded-Spock of The Orville?!?!

A passing thought... is it me, or is the Orville model becoming more detailed? I haven't checked but I'm almost positive we're seeing a subtle texture on parts of the hull that wasn't there before. And when we saw a Moclan ship last week, I was positive that the hull of that has become more textured. Interesting. If I'm honest, I totally get Seth's desire to use a physical model for the Orville where he can, but honestly I wonder if it isn't a bad idea. The CGI model looks just fine, potentially better.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Identity 1 (Spoileriffic)

Post by Nutso »

How pissed off would you be if this was all happening in Isaac's "head?"
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:How pissed off would you be if this was all happening in Isaac's "head?"
About a 7.5
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nutso wrote:How pissed off would you be if this was all happening in Isaac's "head?"
There wouldn't be room with those guns in there :)
email, ergo spam
Startrekanmore
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Startrekanmore »

Wow! Just when you thought everything was going smoothly in the union and on the Orville, it takes a wild left turn into WTF territory. Amazing story, supposedly planned throughout season one but put off until season two.

More, please.
Last edited by Startrekanmore on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

It came so fast. It feels like only two episodes ago, Isaac was in love. Now he's a traitor and a heart-breaker! He's the un-friend.

Honestly, i though the Kaylon story would have climaxed in a tug-of-war between the Krill and the Union, and whom the Kalon view as the most likely to outlast the other. Like they had an Isaac serving with the Krill, and they are calling in that data.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Can't find to see if anyone created a post about Part 2.

Mind you, I watched the series in less then two weeks.

The final space battle was awesome. We all saw the Krill come in and basically do a mop up. We saw more of thd larger ships and how many of the Orville there were.

I know why they gave Issac the blue eyes versus the evil ones having red. Makes me wonder the in universe explanation for it. Even his head guns were blue. Maybe the post-genocide ones who were built have blue eyes? Also find it interesting that they have different voices. Prime, generic soldiers and Issac are different.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"