Star Trek 4 shelved

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Star Trek 4 shelved

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source, source
Little has been heard about the movie since then, but now a Deadline report reveals attached director S.J. Clarkson has moved on to direct the upcoming Game Of Thrones prequel pilot, and that Star Trek 4 has been shelved. Screen Rant has reached out to Paramount for comment on the movie’s status. UPDATE: Paramount responded to Screen Rant's request for comment, stating, "We have no comment on this for the time being."
Hmmmm. Not sure how to feel about this.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Star Trek 4 shelved

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Source, source
Little has been heard about the movie since then, but now a Deadline report reveals attached director S.J. Clarkson has moved on to direct the upcoming Game Of Thrones prequel pilot, and that Star Trek 4 has been shelved. Screen Rant has reached out to Paramount for comment on the movie’s status. UPDATE: Paramount responded to Screen Rant's request for comment, stating, "We have no comment on this for the time being."
Hmmmm. Not sure how to feel about this.
Clearly Paramount did not have their shit in order - we were already looking at a movie released 5 years out from Beyond with the potential for major cast members to be missing. I don't think this is such a bad thing, in that I'd rather see a well planned movie than a shit show.

The biggest issue is now that you've essentially eliminated any likelihood of the Abrams cast to all appear together again. Even if this gets a green light and premieres in say 2022, you're now talking 13 years between the first reboot and this, or the equivalent of Season 3 TOS and Wrath of Khan - TOTALLY different dynamic with the cast. They wouldn't be as old as the TOS crew was in Khan, but it puts everything in a weird sort of "all close to early middle age" dynamic with a ton of pretty seasoned veteran officers on the ship, which seems so un-JJverse like.

This also means that the next Trek (you know there will be one some day) will have a higher likelihood of being another reboot, which in that case more canon destroyed and more things for angry old coots like us to bitch about.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I have no doubt about it - they say 'shelved', but ST 4 is dead for good. As you say, the actors are going to move on. The only way this ever gets made is if their careers wind down to where any movie deal is a good one, and the studio can come back and snatch them up cheap. But then the movie would be more of a 'reunion', as you say. I'd say what we got them would be more like TNG, with the crew having moved on and now getting back together.

But honestly, it's not likely to happen. The JJverse is dead, IMO.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I have no doubt about it - they say 'shelved', but ST 4 is dead for good. As you say, the actors are going to move on. The only way this ever gets made is if their careers wind down to where any movie deal is a good one, and the studio can come back and snatch them up cheap. But then the movie would be more of a 'reunion', as you say. I'd say what we got them would be more like TNG, with the crew having moved on and now getting back together.

But honestly, it's not likely to happen. The JJverse is dead, IMO.
I just hope we don't get a movie out of Discover-verse or worse yet the ST Online fanboy apocalyptic super-ship masturbation session that whole monstrosity has become. I've admittedly watched only the pilot and a bootlegged first half of episode 2, but was woefully underwhelmed. At least you can sorta rectify canon with the alternate universe aspect.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bryan Moore wrote:I just hope we don't get a movie out of Discover-verse
Hell yes.
or worse yet the ST Online fanboy apocalyptic super-ship masturbation session that whole monstrosity has become.
I know very little about ST Online. Seen a few interesting ship designs come out of there, few bad ones, but that's about it. I thought it was a computer game? Does it even have a story, or is it just blowing things up?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:I just hope we don't get a movie out of Discover-verse
Hell yes.
or worse yet the ST Online fanboy apocalyptic super-ship masturbation session that whole monstrosity has become.
I know very little about ST Online. Seen a few interesting ship designs come out of there, few bad ones, but that's about it. I thought it was a computer game? Does it even have a story, or is it just blowing things up?
MASSIVE story that leads up to Spock and Geordi and the Jellyfish/Destruction of Vulcan. Basically the whole of the explored galaxy plunges into war, with Klingons vs Fed vs Cardassians vs Romulans vs Borg vs Schisms Aliens vs Reg Barclay's Libido vs Ferengi (okay, I made a couple of those ups). Sela and Tomalak become leaders of Romulus (I think?) and all sorts of shit fanboy stuff that basically amounts to "Wouldn't it be cool if ____________?!" Tuvok is an Admiral, Neelix is a travelling ambassador to everyone, Harry and Tom are captains, Leeta from the alternate universe is an Admiral of the Terran Empire, Kelvin Timeline crosses over, Discovery just got brought into the game, etc. There are some novel ideas, but it feels like the 16-year-old me had free run of designing the "coolest universe ever"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Startrekanmore
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Startrekanmore »

Yep, ST V.2 IV is dead. Director S J Clarkson has moved on: http://www.treknews.net/2019/01/09/star ... -clarkson/
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Let's be honest, it was a popcorn flick Star Trek. It ended well with the crew on board the new Enterprise to explore the unknown. Nice send off for a trilogy.

If there is another Trek (which there will be), let's hope it's a smart one that makes you think after the movie ends.

Graham's prediction years ago that Trek will end up like Bond has come true. We have no idea how the new Trek ties in with the previous ones. But at least unlike Bond we have Primeverse which spans four (or five depending on how you view ENT) and 10 movies.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"