Daleks, and people being afraid of them

AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Daleks, and people being afraid of them

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

In their debut episode, Barbara Wright has that iconic scene where she's intensely afraid of them, yet, she's supposed to not know who they are. So many others either have no reaction, or the complete opposite reaction the first time they see a Dalek. See, Rose Tyler.

So, why was Barbara so frightened, aside from the Behind the Scenes reason of setting the Daleks up as a 'big bad'.? Maybe its not the first time she met them, yet doesn't remember her previous interactions due to wibbly wobbly timey wi-- DAMNIT TENTH!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Daleks, and people being afraid of them

Post by Nutso »

Maybe she has a fear of giant talking, mobile saltshakers?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The one Rose first encountered was well chained up, and far from the first alien she'd encountered - the later applies to most of the Doctor's companions. Barbara was new to the Tardis, had never encountered any alien life, and the Dalek was moving rapidly towards her. That she reacted poorly is unsurprising,
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:The one Rose first encountered was well chained up, and far from the first alien she'd encountered - the later applies to most of the Doctor's companions. Barbara was new to the Tardis, had never encountered any alien life, and the Dalek was moving rapidly towards her. That she reacted poorly is unsurprising,
Pretty much this. Toss in that she just went through An Unearthly Child, and I can definitely see her being on edge.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I know, it's just kind of an odd (naturally, Over The Top) reaction. I mean, I could get those who know what the Daleks are having an intense reaction. but, well. Salt Shaker! Plunger! Oh, was she afraid of her pipes getting .... unblocked?