Size Charts Images

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Size Charts Images

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

So, in the age of 1920x1080 being basically the expected minimum resolution, with 4k coming up, one of the things about the site I've wondered about is the scaling images in the ship charts. Some of the images are old, and so they have what I think are jpg artefacts.

Too Long, Not going to read: There's a list of the ships that look bad near the bottom, when scaled to the full width of the available space in the web browser.

Lets start with comparing the first, 27, federation ships on the ship size charts. Ordered by size to select, of course.
This places the abomination JJ-Constitution at the top, followed by the Sovereign, JJ-Newton, Regular Galaxy, DS9's enhanced Galaxy, AGT Galaxy, Rigel, Ent-C Ambassador, Zhukov Ambassador, Ptolemy, JJ-Armstrong, JJ-Mayflower, Excelsior, Ent-B/Lakota Excelsior, Akira, Freedom, JJ-Kelvin, Luna, Niagara, Nebula w/o pod, Nebula SWAC pod, Nebula Tactical Pod, Prometheus, Griffin, Challenger, Cheyenne, Centaur.

For Scale, I've got the Danube class at the bottom too. Now I can't just, screenshot the *full screen..*... oh wait, I just did.

For reference: LINK

Now, from small to big.
Danube looks tiny. okay. Centaur is fine. Cheyenne... ooh, I can see a few there around the ship. not gud.
Challenger has a few too, and the Griffin (Intrepid saucer, F-14 tomcat as engineering hull!) is blurred to f***.

Prometheus okay. All three Nebulas are crisp, though technically, the no-pod one should be below the other two? the pod is what gives the other two extra length, yet all three are listed with the same length. Anyway. Niagara, okay.

Luna, good, Skip, Freedom is sort of, there's around the bussard collector and looks kinda blurry, obviously scaled up from original size. Akira... o dear, a favourite and its blurred, with jpg artefacts and even the background of the pic doesn't blend into the page... Refit Excelsior, good. Clean, actually.

Regular Excelsior, same, though anti-aliasing on some of the edges to the background, where it obviously was made with a white background picture. Skip. Skip. Ptolemy, very crisp. Zhuvok Ambassador, crisp.

Ent-C Ambassador, a little blurry but with more of the anti-aliasing issues. Sicne the few with this are all created from CG Models rather than 2d art I presume its issue of render on white background. Rigel-OH DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN. Majorly JPG issues when shown to scale with the abomination that is the JJ-Prise. The three galaxies are all good.

Skip. Sovereign. Oh dear. Not quite as bad as the Rigel, but still. And ... ignore the top one. (I may have something against the JJ ships, the movies, or, well, everything produced after the end of Enterprise)

Now, rescaled to remove the larger ships down to excelsior, leaving us akira on down, because that's one of the problem ones where its clear at smaller scale yet not 'so bad'. Now it looks bad. Further down, Prometheus starts to look blurred and 'washed out' against the black background. Griffin is still horrendously blurred, Cheyenne has bad JPG artefacts and blurring. Centaur looks actually rather good taking up almost all of the screen.

third phase, prometheus and down. Prometheus looks blurry, but Griffin takes the cake for that.

Now, we need a second set... start with centaur, down to miranda variant 2.

Good at this size:
Centaur, Wells, Norway, Intrepid armoured and intrepid, defender, yeager, federation, constitution refit, apollo, springfield and springfield swac, ptolemy (one tank not two), shelley, okonas frieghter, holoship, miranda refit, soyuz, miranda variant 1+2, danube.

Most, then. The ones that aren't good.: New Orleans looks blurred, and has some jpg artefacts, trident, like the rigel, is blurred to hell, gage is a tad blurry but mostly jpg artefacts, prometheus middle and bottom sections are blurred, with jpg artefacts in places, constitution [with the nacelle ball] has jpg artefacts, slightly blurry, constitution [without the ball, with antenna on the bussard collectors and a taller bridge structure] is basically same problem, blurred and jpg artefacts. Steamrunner is blurry and jpg artefacts.

Now a second run on this set. Constitution refit, and on. Problems with that, the prometheus sections, the pre-refit constutions are all clearer. steamrunner's seems the same, despite being scaled up. the rest are still fine.

lets drop below the 250m length mark, okonas frieghter and down.
The Freighter and holoship are clear 2d art pictures that were much smaller, yet cleanly zoom, (even though the weird, scanned from print inking thing is starting to be visible on the freighter. Also clear is where its been cropped from a white-background. Same with the holoship though that one doesn't have the weird printed ink visible.

Steamrunner is blurred with the jpg artefacts now much more visible. The miranda's, not that much smaller (243m to the freighters' 247) are basically the same scale then, and they still look crisp as hell. The Danube at the bottom is now like, an inch and half or so on the screen, itll be awhile before I expect any picture scaling issues there.

Third set. For the hell of it (and that the others are the same length anyway), I'll have the Miranda refit with the rollbar as the marker ship.

Good pics:
Miranda, Hermes, Saladin, Olympic, Sydney, Constellation, Miranda [tos style], Ptolemy [no tank], defiant, federation transport, Daedalus, federation tug, raven, federation raider (chakotay's ship), antares, warp sled, sovereign yacht, intrepid aeroshuttle, galaxy yacht, argo, federation scout, danube, still coming in still that one.

Bad pics:
Prometheus top, Polaris, saber, nova and endgame nova, oberth, jellyfish. Okay, the last one is alright, but doesn't belong in star trek at all. *gives JJ evil eye*
Generally same problems. Blurry, jpg artefacts, clearly defined where it was cropped from white background, that sort of thing. The Oberth is just over half th available width of the screen, (150m vs the near-250 marker), the nova's are two-thirds, with the polaris and prometheus top section practically just shy of full width.

Now, this set shrunk down again, to start with saber (190m).

Bad Pics now include: Defiant. blurry.

further shrinking the list down to the nova, the 60m federation raider is coming in blurred and starting to get jpg artefacts visible, and its not even half the width (the nova being 165m).
The Daedalus as the largest on the list now gives it blurriness not visible when including the oberth, with JPG artefacts that are actually only visible at this scale.
The Tug is really blurry, with a few jpg artefacts, the raven has a clearly defined crop edge, the raider is really starting to blur.

Now with the raven as the largest on the scaled chart, its actually fine, aside from said clearly-defined croppage.
The raider, now just over half, the jpg artefacts are clearly visible and oh god the blurryness is started to get to rigel-levels.

With it at the top, the raider IS at rigel levels.

Another large list compiling, Federation raider at the top (60m), all the way to the delta flyer escape pod.

Once more bottom to top, bad pictures:

Oddly, the Danube. the ship that has served so well. ITs blurred. and starting to get jpg artefacts. Ah well, knew it had to happen eventually.
Below it, the really odd thing is that the rollbar variant pic is fine, [aside from the crop-from-white issue most of the 2d-art produced ones have] probably because that one is from 2d art, versus probably a 3 render for the other.

OOh, the aeroshuttle is looking blurry. The Sovereign yacht's cropping is starting to be visible.

Okay, another step on the scaling. down to 55m. nah same.
Down to the 33.5m of the sovereign Yacht. That one is blurred and very visible croppage. Clearly low-resolution image.
Aeroshuttle blurred. Galaxy yacht is blurred, danube no-rollbar really blurry, rest are okay.

Next, they scale fine until we get to the 16m mark. the Type 11, like the sovereign yacht, has clear croppage and clearly is shown larger than original res.
Peregrine is bad too, a bit more blurry as well.

After that is plain sailing, except for the smallest - the delta flyer escape pod gets blurry and jpg artefacts once its using over half the available width.

So... Ones that need a larger resolution then.
Sovereign
Rigel
Excelsior
Akira
Freedom
Luna
Prometheus [+individual sections]
Griffin
Challenger
Cheyenne
Norway
New Orleans
Trident
Gage
Constitution [Original configuration, Kirk-era config, movie-era refit]
Shelley
Steamrunner
Polaris
Saber
Defiant
Nova [+rhode island]
Oberth
Federation Raider
Sovereign Yacht
Intrepid Aeroshuttle
Galaxy Yacht
Danube [+Rollbar so they both match properly?]
Delta Flyer
Type 11 Shuttle
Peregrine Class
Endgame shuttle
Type 9 Shuttle
Argo Vehicle
Travel Pod

I think the others are fine as they are. I really do think the 'First Contact' ships - Sovereign, Akira, Norway, Saber, Steamrunner, the pics here aren't good. The Sovereign at the very least needs a good work over, as, as the Enterprise-E its one of the 'hero ships'

It's... a lot to do, I know, but maybe you could just throw it on a "Todo" list and leave it open for anyone who maybe has a really good 2d side-view (as some of them actually seem to be fan-produced, and not the 2d-art I've seen in say, the encyclopedia) Example, the Zhukov Ambassador, I dont think that's from a reference book?

although personally, I'd add the Intrepid to the list, if only to fix the cgi mesh errors (the 'neck' area, the grid lines are supposed to be horizontally flat. Another issue ios the dorsal phasers, they're all supposed to, also, be flat on the horizontal. this is because the 'neck' area bulges out a lot more from the saucer contours, and in the mesh, those contours got messed up and so, on the cgi model, that area has a bit more internal volume, if you will. this is why nearer to the neck, on the hull features got warped "upward", since I think the locations of those features were taken in a top-down view.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Size Charts Images

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For the large majority of cases we don't produce these images - there's like one or two I've done, but in the vast majority of cases they're stuff that we've found online, or in a couple of cases people have sent to us.

I'd be delighted to get higher resolution versions, but just pointing out that there are bad images isn't going to achieve that. If you see one that's bad and can also point to a better one, I'd be more than happy to switch to that. If it's a fan generated one, it would be helpful if the new image is somewhere that I can contact whoever made it to ask permission to use it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...