Star Trek 4 Loses Pine & Hemsworth Over Pay Dispute?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Star Trek 4 Loses Pine & Hemsworth Over Pay Dispute?

Post by Nutso »

https://www.cbr.com/report-star-trek-4- ... hemsworth/
According to The Hollywood Reporter, actors Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth have walked away from Star Trek 4 as talks have fallen through. The outlet claims that talks ultimately broke down due to money as Pine and Hemsworth wanted the studios to stick to their existing deals for the project. However, it appears Paramount is now going back on those apparent deals in order to try to reel in the budget, as the Star Trek franchise doesn’t perform nearly as well as either actors’ retrospective DC or Marvel projects.

Pine was set to return for his fourth outing as Captain Kirk, having been a part of the franchise since the 2009 reboot. While Hemsworth was set to return as Kirk’s father, George Kirk, who died in the first film but was set to be brought back as part of a time-traveling storyline. While Pine had signed on for a fourth film when he initially joined the rebooted franchise, confirming he does in fact have a deal in place, it remains unclear just what kind of deal Hemsworth signed. After all, the actor’s role in the first film was short lived and he’s never officially been confirmed for the project — despite being rumored to return since 2016 when Brad Grey was still in charge of Paramount Studios.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek 4 Loses Pine & Hemsworth Over Pay Dispute?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ah, sequel decay. My old friend.

IMO, this movie isn't viable without Pine. They'd lose a lot of credibility if they recast it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Ah, sequel decay. My old friend.

IMO, this movie isn't viable without Pine. They'd lose a lot of credibility if they recast it.
Kirk dies in the beginning during a mushroom speed test, the Captaincy is taken over by a young Picard played by, I don't know, David Tennant?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Time travel story line... Those are always good.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

An analysis of the corporate politics around this situation and the Trek franchise in general.

Interestingly, rumours are circulating that other cast members may be jumping ship on this movie soon. I've heard that they had trouble getting Karl Urban back for Beyond, as he is annoyed that he has so little to do in the movies. That's nothing new in Trek, a lot of the original actors complained that their whole role consisted of saying a few lines like "Yes Captain". Difference is, Urban has a lot of other options. He doesn't need Trek.

I can also see Zoe Saldana walking. She doesn't need Trek either.

At that point the film is basically a gutted shell, as far as cast is concerned.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

If they can't bring them back, looks like they will have to go with Tarantino option or write something else.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hemsworth, IMHo, is survivable. They lose Pine? Game over.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:If they can't bring them back, looks like they will have to go with Tarantino option or write something else.
Do we have any rumors about it?
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:If they can't bring them back, looks like they will have to go with Tarantino option or write something else.
Do we have any rumors about it?
Last time I read something they assumed it would be Star Trek (X)V.... but that's probably because of Paramount wanting to keep the actual cast and the film being too early in production.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What I've heard is that he wants it to be R rated, which presumably means he wants violence and/or adult language.

I've also heard it wouldn't owe anything to any other film or series - he's developing his own characters and location, not using the Kelvin cast or anything else.

Nothing beyond that, though.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well it was the first report but later Zachary Quinto seemed to say Paramount wanted to have Kelvin cast... maybe he wanted to be part of it too...

And I am thinking it could allow to see Klingons more realistically: theses peoples always bring knives and swords to the fight and there is (almost) no blood!
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Adi Shankar Thinks Star Trek 4 Can Work Without Kirk : https://screenrant.com/star-trek-4-chri ... i-shankar/
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

They already killed Pike... who is going to command the Enterprise?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

bladela wrote:Adi Shankar Thinks Star Trek 4 Can Work Without Kirk : https://screenrant.com/star-trek-4-chri ... i-shankar/
If they've really talked themselves into believing that, this movie has the makings of a disaster.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

In comparison, B & B were a brilliant duo. :(