Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 2 Trailer

Post by bladela »

based on the trailer ... can I say ... that for some things ... we start to be on the right track? (at least visually)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

All I can say is that "Video not available"...
email, ergo spam
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, doesn't look like it's changed much. The Disco crew are still in the same stupid uniforms. Same stupid ship and style still has holographic controls way too early for the setting. Still have robotic head crew. Now they're bringing "Vorlons / Angles" from B5 in, I'm not holding much hope for season 2 after seeing this.
email, ergo spam
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

I'm sorry to say ... but I think tos-style interfaces (and I'm starting to think even tng style) would be ridiculous to show today.
This does not mean that we could not put a few references while making it futuristic.

On uniforms I can agree ...

my hope (I believe it will happen little, mind you) is that at least partially repair the damage done to the Klingons.
They'll let me down ... but there's a hint of hope in the trailer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

bladela wrote:I'm sorry to say ... but I think tos-style interfaces (and I'm starting to think even tng style) would be ridiculous to show today.
Which is why a prequel series would not be a good idea.

Or at least, say that STD is set in an alternate timeline.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

And on this I agree ... but now the series is here ... better that it comes out something positive ... that summing up ... imho if they pull out good stories and without doing it on purpose to violate continuity when not strictly necessary. .. I can hold my nose a bit...

After all, the first of Enterprise I do not remember it was much better ... yet the third and specially fourth season were very positive.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:I'm sorry to say ... but I think tos-style interfaces (and I'm starting to think even tng style) would be ridiculous to show today.
This does not mean that we could not put a few references while making it futuristic.
er
Of course TOS Style computers would be ridiculous that's why It's updated since 2009.... but do you really think TNG would look ridiculous? Windows tried something not so far away of LCARS but in a more angular style...

It still make sense for a purely tactical interface.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

It would seem ridiculous (but we are at the limit) as a futuristic vision, after all an interface like that I think is perfectly feasible and usable (if we neglect the buttons with random numbers ... argh) already on a mobile phone.

It was certainly futuristic (imho) in the 80s, it is not a fault of the lcars system itself, but how much computer technology has advanced in these 30 years.

Then mind you, no one can have a real idea of what the computer interface will be like in the 23rd century, as far as I know they may not even have any visually, but be directly connected to the brain ... or even this might seem outdated...

to understand, two hundred years ago the interface of the "computers" was this:
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Graham Kennedy wrote:

Isn't it? Between the weird looking klingons, weird looking ship, weird looking mode of transportation etc. I never really even had the idea that this plays in the prime universe. Hence...I never really had that much of a problem with it....to me it is not a prequel....more like an reimagining, loosely based on Star Trek.

As such it was entertaining enough.....until the last episode or so...how they "solved" the war was beyond stupid...utterly unbelievable.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Atekimogus wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:

Isn't it? Between the weird looking klingons, weird looking ship, weird looking mode of transportation etc. I never really even had the idea that this plays in the prime universe.
Me neither, but the producers have insisted over and over again that it does.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Why can't we just accept that film-making and budgets have changed over 50-years and that it can still be Star trek as long as the narrative elements remain the same?

For example, is ToS the story of ground-breaking visuals of the 23rd century or is it the stories of The Adventures of Captain Kirk and Co?

I guess I don't understand the need to take visuals of a show from the 60s as gospel truth,, especially if those visuals really have nothing to do with the narrative.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Why can't we just accept that film-making and budgets have changed over 50-years
I accept this.
and that it can still be Star trek as long as the narrative elements remain the same?
I reject this.

Why? Because the makers of Star Trek have spend over half a century telling me otherwise. Every single incarnation of the show (after the first one) has gone out of their way to establish that they are taking place in a single continuity, sometimes even to the extent of literally going back to revisit earlier incarnations and say "hi!" to them.

And to me, this was the single greatest achievement of the show. Sure there was weirdness and errors here and there, but it all hung together astonishingly well considering, and that was a tribute to the massive effort that everyone involved made in order to keep everything inline.

Then Discovery came along and said "balls to that, we'll do what we like because nothing else about Star Trek is important except us."

Well, they can do that. They own the franchise, they can shit on it if they want to. But they can't make me like it, they can't make me accept it, and they most certainly will never make me pay for it.
For example, is ToS the story of ground-breaking visuals of the 23rd century or is it the stories of The Adventures of Captain Kirk and Co?

I guess I don't understand the need to take visuals of a show from the 60s as gospel truth,, especially if those visuals really have nothing to do with the narrative.
And I don't understand why the story is considered as if it were a separate thing from those visuals. TOS looked how it looked; if you go to TOS that's how it should look. By all means implement that look in a better way - the remastered TOS for instance, is an absolutely perfect demonstration of how to use modern methods to implement what TOS actually looked like.

But if you make it look different then you haven't actually gone to TOS, even if you claim that you have.

This, for instance...

...is not the NCC-1701. They can call it the NCC-1701, they can pretend that it is all day long if they want to, but it isn't. If you want to accept it as such then that's your business, but I won't and I don't, because the people who make the show have spent fifty years telling that that's not what the NCC-1701 looks like. And frankly I resent Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg telling all those people that their work is shit.

Not to mention that the actual NCC-1701 looks far better than that thing. I watched the whole first season of Discovery, and I didn't see a single good ship design in it. Not one. They ranged from bad to just plain comically ridiculous. If you're going to try and sell me something new and improved then at least don't do such a bloody horrific job of 'improving' it, maybe?