Sci-tech idea

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
dbutler1986
Petty officer first class

Sci-tech idea

Post by dbutler1986 »

What about an article on polarized hull plating? I'm a little unclear on how it might work; perhaps some famous DITL speculation? ;)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Famous writers ignoring canon, if you ask me.
dbutler1986

Post by dbutler1986 »

We still have to rationalize it if we want to integrate it into the Trek universe.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

True. I raerly get involved in these technobabble debates but Oh well, here we go.

The Plates would likely be constructed of some easily chargable material. They charge it with...uh something...and polarize the energy flow. The polarity absorbs the energy of weapons fire or something... I dunno. This is why i don't bother with technobabble. I'm crap at it.
dbutler1986

Post by dbutler1986 »

A friend of mine once speculated that they polarized the molecules in the metal - aligning them in that way might theoretically increase the density, and thereby their resilience to weapons fire. (Though it wouldn't account for the pretty blue glow....Cherenkov radiation, perhaps? ;P It's my catch-all for any pretty blue unexplainable glow...)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I don't recall any glow from Enterprise. :?

Anyway, Cherenkov radiation is caused by particles passing through a medium faster than the speed of light in that medium, so that can't be the cause.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
dbutler1986

Post by dbutler1986 »

I know; that's why it's a catch-all for anything unexplainable...it's a joke.

I'm watching season 1 of Ent now, and when they take hits to the hull from particle weapons while the plates are polarized, there's a blue glow as if from a hull-hugging shield.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Actually, "polarizing" the molecules in a particular material would cause them to have a LESS dense construction, no? Similar to how ice is less dense than water.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
dbutler1986

Post by dbutler1986 »

Only if the material is polar - the reason ice is less dense is because the water molecules repel each other. I think of "polarization" in this case as *aligning* them, not causing them to have magnetic poles.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Right - but aligning them doesn't create more of them. You'd still have MORE space between molecules when they are aligned, not LESS.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
dbutler1986

Post by dbutler1986 »

There wouldn't be any more space between them. Aligning them would cause them to come closer together. If they're all arranged lengthwise, they can fall closer together. If they aren't repelling each other because of being magnetically polar, like water molecules, there'd be no reason for them to get farther apart.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Maybe it's just a nickname. Like how in The Hunt for Red October it was called a Catapiller drive even though it used Hydrodynamic propulsion(I think) and had nothing to do with catapillers. Purhaps one of the people working on the project was reminded of something like polorized windshields.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think that's the sanest and easiest explaination in this case.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Maybe it's just a nickname. Like how in The Hunt for Red October it was called a Catapiller drive even though it used Hydrodynamic propulsion(I think) and had nothing to do with catapillers. Purhaps one of the people working on the project was reminded of something like polorized windshields.
I love that film.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, a great movie. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"