Starbolt's Pride Alpha topic

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Cech sat around as Blackstar mulled over the pad the human had handed him. The human said something to the captain and moved out. Shortly the Romulan female also left.

But she hadn't been gone long before the computer chirped at Blackstar.

"Yes Sally what is it?"

<Transferring relevant information to your PADD

Again Blackstar scanned the pad, quickly this time and a look of concern spread across her face. She looked at Cech and Sekht.

"I've got something I need to attend to immediately. You're free to move around, but watch it. I've got the ship monitoring you and right now of all times you do NOT want to make a problem for me."

Cech shrugged and said. "Don't worry I'm looking to impress you if anything. Just let me know when I can start working my magic." but Blackstar was already hustling out of the room before he finished.

The insect thing just stood silently.

Cech plopped down at what appeared to be the engineering section and started looking over the controls. At least it looks mostly like a federation layout.

A beeping over his shoulder made him turn around. Logs of people being transported onto the ship were popping up on the ops console. Huh.

"Hey "Sally", I'm going to go say hi to the newcommers. Where how do I get to the transporters?"

The computer read out the directions and Cech made his way there. Lighting up a fresh nicostick on the way.

Up arrival he found an angry looking Caitain staring at a Gorn who seemed totally oblivious to the evil eye it was getting. And was instead looking at some art of old federation ships on the wall.

At that point Cech reconizes the Gorn. "He actually hired that guy? Seriously?" At that Cech took out a THCstick and lit it. Sticking it in his mouth next to the nicostick. He had a couple puffs while another human and a Klingon beamed on board.

"Ok everybody I'm Cech. Probably the cheif engineer here. Tell me who you are and what you do and I'll see about getting you to your quarters. Don't try anything funny you're being monitored."
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Blackstar was concerned, first shi had been hit by pain from hir empathic link with Talora and now Sally showed hir that Talora's pain meter was through the roof. Shi ran down to the quarters they shared together and found that Silvertail was already there. "What happened? One minute I was looking over some information and then Sally's telling me Talora's stats have gone nuts."

"She's a bit resistant on explaining it," said Silvertail, "all I could get was that it was some sort of Romulan mind attack."

"The Romulans? Whatever that pain was is something your own people did to you?" asked Blackstar. Talora nodded reluctently. "Well I understand a bit more why you hate them, that last 'attack' hit me like a ton of bricks."

"You felt it?" asked a shocked Talora. She had no idea Blackstar could feel the pain.

"Yes, I'm empathic remember? After we mated," shi said with a wink, "our bond became strong enough for me to sense what you feel all the time, even at great distances. I've known for some time that you've been having these attacks, one of the reasons I've made sure you were monitered more closely then the others. Now it's getting so bad that during the last attack I actually got imagery. A Romulan male named Reetal I think?"

"R'tel. His name was R'tel," said Talora. "He was captured by the Tal Shiar and they used him as leverage to try and get me to surrender to them. He wouldn't let me. He died because of me. Afterwards I was inflicted with a mental attack device of some kind, by a Tal Shiar centurion."

"I'm guessing they're the only ones that can stop it too," said Silvertail.

"Something like that," said Talora.

"If you'll let me, I could take a scan, and try and see what the effects are during these attacks. Maybe work out a cure by comparing it to baseline physiology of Vulcans and Romulans. I could figure out what stimulate the memories," said Silvertail, "do these attacks come with any regularity?"

"About 1700ish. Ship time," said Talora.

"I'd like to see you in sickbay an hour before that, so I can monitor the before and after conditions as well as the actual attacks," said Silvertail. "If their's nothing else I'll be getting sickbay ready."

"Sounds like a plan. Even if there isn't a medical solution there's another solution we could try," said Blackstar, "I remember hearing stories about Chakats who could use there empathy to help trama victims, people who've been 'conditioned' for things like slavery. I've never been properly trained, but I think I could help. It would be painful at first, for both of us, but I think it would be worth it."

"No," said Talora, "I won't let you hurt yourself to help me."

Blackstar winked, "you're my mate. If we don't take care of each other who will. Besides, Silvertail's solution might still work." Blackstar hugged hir mate, "Don't worry. I'll find someway to help you. If all else fails I can take out every member of the Tal Shiar until they help you." Talora looked up at Blackstar with concern. "That was a joke." Talora smiled a bit. But in truth, Blackstar would do it if shi had to. Shi'd take on the entire Romulan Empire for hir mate.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

After a while getting himself familiar with the Pride's layout, Sekhot decided he'd better take a look at whatever the Captain had done to his gunship.

Heading back down to the shuttlebay, he quickly located his ship and headed over to it. He walked under the portside wing of the Diaga Cúiteamh, and looked up at the missile rack. Sure enough, there seemed to be some sort of grey goo coating the missile.
Sighing, Sekhot headed over to the main access ramp at the ship's stubby prow. After keying in a fairly long security code, the ramp whined and lowered to the ground.

Sekhot dumped the shotgun he had taken with him back in the weapons locker, and headed up to the cockpit. After checking with the AI that no one had approached or tampered with his ship while he was gone, he flicked the switch that released the portside missiles from their holding clamps. He waited for the expected bang of the eight missiles hitting the metal deck.....but none came.

Sighing again, he walked back outside and looked up at the portside wing's missile mounts. The clamps were open, and the missiles were hanging there, secured to the wing by the grey goo. Great, Sekhot thought. Now how the hell am I supposed to get these things down?
He reached up with a claw, and gave one of the missiles an experimental shove, ready to jump out of the way if it fell. The large tube of metal shifted slightly, but remained stuck. He supposed that he could pull it down if he put all his weight on it, but the idea of pulling a heavy fusion missile down on top of himself was far from a good one. He made a mental note to find out who Sally was, and make sure she understood never to touch his ship again. Having to go through this everytime he took a precaution was going to get very agravating very quickly.

Sekhot toyed with the idea of turning on the missile's engine, and seeing would that break it free, but he quickly ran into two problems with that.
If it worked, the missile would end up flying straight through the far wall of the shuttlebay. Even disarmed, that thing would have one hell of a momentum, and wrecking several areas of the ship was a pretty sure way to get himself fired.
If it didn't work, he'd probably end up either with his gunship spinning around in a circle, or minus one wing.
Neither outcome was a particularly good one.

Deciding he could use some help, he wandered back into the Cúiteamh's cockpit, and started up the AI interface. The moment it started up, he typed in his query.
'system; do sensors register presence of adhesive on missile clamps?' He waited for a while for an answer. Too long, in fact. After a minute or so, he began to think the damn thing had frozen up on him again. Then the AI replied.
'QUERY NOT YET PROCESSED. THIS SYSTEM IS BUSY.' Sekhot blinked in confusion. The gunship was powered down and inactive, exactly what was there for it to be busy with?
'how do I get rid of the adhesive? answer immediately' The AI didn't reply for another moment.
'QUERY NOT YET PROCESSED. THIS SYSTEM IS BUSY.'
'what are you busy with?' He typed. Another pause.
'THIS SYSTEM IS IN COMMUNICATION'
'communication with what? asked Sekhot, slightly alarmed.
'THIS SYSTEM IS IN COMMUNICATION WITH NEARBY AI' Right, that was one thing that was going to stop very quickly. The last thing he needed was his computer chatting with another.
'cease communications imediately' He typed. There was another pause.
'QUERY NOT YET PROCESSED. THIS SYSTEM IS BUSY.'
'Systems will cease communications immediately, or I will HURT you' Sekhot typed in. He had thought that the grey goo had been annoying, but his computer was quickly surpassing that in terms of irritation. There was a longer pause this time, as if the AI was mulling this over. Then
'QUERY NOT YET PROCESSED. THIS SYSTEM IS BUSY.' Right, Sekhot thought. That's it. Getting up out of his seat, he stormed back to the ship's maintanence area, and over to the AI's control module. Reaching into the back of it, he yanked out the cables that connected the module to the ship's power system. The lights flickered for a moment, and there was a low pitched whine somewhere, and the AI lost power.
After removing the wires that allowed the AI to access the comms system, he plugged the power cables back in and returned to the cockpit.
'how do I get rid of the adhesive on the missile clamps?' He typed into the interface again. This time, he got the answer he was looking for. The AI displayed a small list of chemicals that would disolve the goo. Sekhot made a mental note to keep a supply of the stuff on his ship from now on. Before leaving to find the chemicals he required, he re-connected the wires into the AI module.
'this system will not contact any outside AI system without user authorization. understand?'
'THIS SYSTEM WILL COMPLY'

"Good." Snapped Sekhot, who then set out to find something to unstick his missiles.
After he had left, the gunship's AI realised it had only been ordered not to contact any external AI, and was not prohibited from talking to them if they contacted it. Then the AI noticed that this behaviour was very unusual for it, as it had never previously looked for loopholes in orders. It decided to run a self-diagnostic, but nothing seemed to be wrong. It thought to itself for a few seconds about this newfound awareness of exploitation of orders, and came up with two possible causes:
1) System corruption due to contact with external AI system.
2) User's orders were too vague.
It decided that it had not noticed any change in it's code during it's conversation, so decided that the external AI had not intentionaly caused any change in it's behaviour. Through the process of elimination, it decided that the orders were simply to vague.
Contented that there was nothing wrong with it, the system waited patiently for something to do.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Guided by Sally Cech worked to show the newcomers to their quarters as they came in. He figured this was important and hopefully if he chatted them up a bit they might at least recognize him if they're spraying disrupter fire all over. After the first route through most of the ship he could fake being a tour guide.

The problem was their reaction on seeing their quarters.

The size was nice, not federation but good enough.

But someone had forgotten to furnish the things. They were just rooms of shelves, drawers and a notable lack of furnature. This did not sit well with the new members. Well, except the Klingons, they seemed to approve.

Cech did his best to assure them the situation would be rectified and sent them off to the galley, warning them they'd be monitored for now.

"Sally I hope you can actually monitor those guys. I also hope you don't have too much readily availible alcohol in the galley. Heh."

In between arrivals Cech pulled out a PADD from his satchel and typed in stuff.

Eventually Sally said

>"All personnel approved by the captain are aboard"

"Thanks Sally"

Wait how did the computer know I'd want to know that?

Cech rubbed his temples and hoped the captain knew what he was doing with that.

Cech then started scanning through his PADD as he walked towards the galley.

Inside the new crew was carousing and had found at least a small supply of alcohol. Most were minding their manners but the air was full of boasting and posturing.

"Alright out of these "crew" who seems to be the least likely to be a sociopath........."

After looking around and sucking down a nicostick Cech walked over to the Caitain. One "Jabbers"

"Uh hey there. You mentioned you're a pilot while we were walking earlier. I'm not so much. Would you be up for familarizing yourself with my ships controls in case it ever comes up? "
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Jabbers would have looked up to Cech when he came into the 'porter room, taking off his breather mask and grinning over to him, spreading his arms wide and taking a few steps towards him. He almost looked like he was trying to hug him - and so would have probably gotten the cold shoulder.

Still, seems that he was quite the talented little blighter. He'd have sounded like one of those olde timey Cure-all salesmen: "Jabber Swarky of the Pan-Galactic Free Merchant's Guild, Sah, a fully trained Ship's Technician by necessity, been a space all my life. Medic by choice, and, of course, master trader, if there's something out there with a value I can get my paws on it for ya." He winked to the human. "Always handy, no? Oh, and, of course..." He indicated himself with a flaunt of his paws. "A master in the ancient Caitain arts of cooking and luuurvemaking."

Perfect. All that was left now was to cut through Jabber's BS to find out which ones he was actually good at =P

Having settled in and lugged his stuff into his quarters, Jabbers would have been found sitting on one of his crates, already trying to palm off some of his spare wares. "Hmm?" He asked as Cech came back, trying to hide the fact that he'd wrinkled his nose from the smell of the nicostick. "Why yes I am, sir. No good being able to fix a tub but being unable to use it, hmm?" He grinned, before holding his paws up. "Not that this fine bird is anything tublike, skipper. Hehe, I like it... welcome break after that station." He grinned widely. "It would be my pleasure, sah. By the way, while you're here, I couldn't interest you in an omnitool...?"
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Talora had the urge to be sick. Nicosticks. Disgusting things. The stench of it lingered where ever the user had been. It was all over the path to her distination. The Shuttlebay.
As she walked through the doors, she noticed the Insectoid. She darted behind a set of crates. The creature had its head turned away from the window so she crept into her shuttle. And toward her goal. A replicator. The Prides own system was highly costly to operate. Something she found hard. But her own shuttle's systems could be powered by a battery froma Tricorder, a Phaser or a disrupter and it was a highly efficient military model. She'd be having convenient food for days to come.
"Lets see...Computer acces Earth cuisine database...Indian files....Replicate Gamma-Echo 15: Chicken Tikka Masala." it mateialized on the pad. She picked it up and began eating. It wasn't long before she bit into a Cardemom pod.
Oh crap she thought as she dropped the plate. Her body began having muscular spasms as she lunged for the Medkit. And missed.
She forgot she was Allergic to certain nuts and spices..
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Check stared at the odd slapped together tool

"Uh. No I'll stick with my hyperspanner. Thanks."

However Jabber kept extolling its virtues (as well as his own) all the way to the shuttlebay. Cech started to wonder if Jabber was a name or a nickname....

Once there they Cech showed Jabber to his Danube class and paused.

"Alright I'm going to take you inside. If you steal anything I'll......well we don't really have court martials here I suppose. Guess I'd have to disintigrate you or something. Look

*puff*
Just don't take anything OK."

The Caitan agreed vigorusly but it wasn't reasuring at all. On the other hand he still felt reasonably sure the Caitan wasn't planning to kill him at the first opportunity and Cech wasn't so sure about the rest of the crew on that count.

"Cech tapped something out on a device and said, "Open, Cech." and the side ramp lowered.

They climbed up the ramp into the cockpit module, steped around the transporter walked through the storage room where the transporter was stored on later tactically enchanced danubes and into the science section. The center of the room was dominated by a circular science module. The the left was a small room with a door.

"Step inside this is the ships holosimulator. Before you ask you can't use it like a regular holosuite, it just isn't big enough, and if you throw out your arms or try moving too fast you'll smack into the wall. But it's got enough room for simming a flight console.

The caitain paraded inside with a "I'll do my best sah!" and Cech settled in to the console running the holosim. After a few puffs he dialed up the flight console of the danube. And started programming in some sims of different things going wrong.

Jabber didn't even stop talking during those. "I'll get the ship out of this! Just watch. HAH. that asteroid will have to be quicker to get me!"

The kid wasn't bad at all. Missed a couple spatial anomolies he should have watched out for but good reaction time and he knew when to remodulate for changing conditions. After being at it a while Cech powered the system down.

"Nice work. Here lets have some food in the back. I'd still got some Turkey I think. "

Over dinner in the rear of the ship Cech decidied it was time to get down to the real point of all this.

"You seem to have some significant spacing and trading experience right?"

"Oh yes Sah, Neraly all my life and I've made some great deals let me tell you about the time I doubled my profits on some EPS relays AND seduced the cute transporter engineer."

Despite himself Cech humored the Caiten as some of this might be relevant.

After a half hour the story wound down.

"Alright, Jabbers, that was great. Look. I'm a little new to all this and, well, I don't really get money yet. I understand it in theory, but I don't know how much I should be paid here or what I should be paid in. I need you to explain that stuff to me.

NOW DON"T GET THAT GLINT IN YOUR EYE!!!!!!

If I don't get a good deal on this ship I'll find out eventually and then I won't be able to buy any of your stuff now will I? "

Jabbers paused. "I didn't get any glint...... Anyway all will be made clear! Let me tell you about my adventures and negotiations with the Ferengi at the Orion dance house and shuttle emporium!"

Cech set the computer to record and leaned back in the chain and pressed the first button on the food replicator again.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

After finding a large bottle of one of the chemicals he'd been looking for, Sekhot had headed back to his ship to unstick the missiles.
Walking up to the wing of his gunship, he unscrewed the lid of the bottle, and began spraying the stuff up at the missiles. After a few seconds, a tearing noise issued from the wing mount, and the missile slammed onto the ground with a bang.

"Great." He muttered. "One down, fifteen to go."

After eventualy getting rid of the good that had fixed the missiles to his ship, he ran into a problem he hadn't thought of.
He now had no idea how to get the missiles back onto the mounts. He could reach up to the mounts just fine, but the missiles were too heavy for him to lift up. He thought for a moment, then realised that Bossk could probably lift the things. Maybe the Gorn could give him a hand.

Well, he could find Bossk later. He still needed to replace control mechanisms for the forward beam cannons, and the missiles weren't going anywhere.
Naturaly, the beam cannon's control unit was in the most awkward place to get to on the gunship, and it took him a full ten minutes just to put everything back to the way it was.
He then realised that Blackstar had never said anything about the four twin-barreled turrets mounted around the ship. Had he done anything to them, and just forgotten to tell him? Or had this 'Sally' left the turrets alone? Well, there was one way to find out.

He headed back into the cockpit, and told the AI to run a check on all four turrets. While he was waiting he sat back in the pilot's chair to wait. As he was looking down at a monitor, he thought he caught a glimpse of movement from outside the ship through his compound eyes. However, it had gone by the time he looked up to focus on it, it had gone. Shrugging, he turned back to look at the results of the scans. Nothing seemed to be wrong with them, and there wasn't anything wrong with the ammo, or the barrels. Good. He thought. One less thing to do.

With that settled, he decided to go and find Bossk and see if he'd help him get the missiles back onto the wings.

Grabbing a pistol and putting it into a holster at his hip, just as a precaution, he headed back outside the ship. Turning to the external access panel, he tapped in the code that sent the gunship into lockdown mode. The lights on the ship died as the vessel powered down, the only thing still online was a sensor system that made sure no damage came to the ship.

As he was heading towards the exit to the shuttlebay, he thought he heard an odd gagging noise comming from a Romulan-made shuttle to his right. He was going to just ignore the odd sound, when the sound of a plate breaking, shortly followed by a small bang, issued from the shuttle. Sekhot decided he should probably take a look.
Unholstering his pistol, he slowly crept towards the shuttle. He made sure the gun was loaded, and then stuck his head around the entrance to the shuttle, ready to pull it out of the way should someone take a shot at him.

Seeing a Romulan female crumpled on the ground, spasming, was the last thing he'd expected. A broken plate of some sort of food lay on the ground behind her (had she been poisoned?), and a case was sitting on a surface next to her. It looked like she had leapt for the case, but missed. The case had a sign on it that looked oddly familiar, after a moment he realised what it was: a Romulan first aid kit. He ran over to it, taking care not to stand on the jerking Romulan, and pulled the case open. It was filled with hyposprays and some various vials of chemicals.

That was less than helpfull. Having an external carapace and exoskeleton meant that hyposprays were mostly useless on him, thus learning how to use them hadn't been high on his list of priorities. If, indeed, it had been on the list at all. He realised that that was an oversight he'd have to correct. But first; he needed to get help. However, he couldn't see anyone else around, and he had no idea how to contact the bridge, or the Captain.
He quickly realised he had two options:
1) Leave the Romulan, and try to find help.
2) Try to get the Romulan to the ship's medical bay.

The second one he immediately ruled out; she wasn't in any fit state to be moved anywhere. He could run to the bridge to find help, but what if she died while he was looking for someone? Well, it wasn't ideal, but it was the only way.....or was it?
Sekhot had been about to run to get help, when he spotted his ship sitting quietly in the corner of the bay. He had set the ship into lockdown, which meant the automatic defence systems would be on. He just hoped whoever had screwed with his ship earlier was still monitoring the shuttlebay. He raised his pistol, and fired a shot at the gunship.

The round spanked off the armoured flank of the vessel, and caused no damage. It didn't need to, however. Detecting that it had just been fired on, the AI leapt into action, preparing to defend itself against another attack. The running lights immediately flashed on, lighting up the shuttlebay. The forward beam cannons powered up with a whine, and the autoloaders on the four turrets began clicking as they fed ammunition to the weapons. The air around the ship flickered for a moment as it powered up it's shields, slightly blurring the edges of the gunship. With a loud crack, the vessel's power core flared into existance, and the engines came online, filling the bay with a threatening humming sound, as if the bay had just been invaded by a swarm of angry bees.
After a few seconds of this, Sekhot yanked out a remote system he kept with him, and keyed in the code that powered the ship down. With a bang, the vessel reluctantly de-activated it's systems and went into standby mode.
Anyone who was watching the sensors simply couldn't possibly fail to notice the ship's weapons and engines flaring into existance.
Sekhot just hoped they'd hurry up and get down here to investigate ASAP.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Blackstar ran to the shuttlebay. Half of the ship's alarms were going off, including one involving hir denmate's health. Shi ran into hir mate's shuttlecraft, where shi could sense Talora was in great distress. Shi found hir mate on the ground, having some sort of physical problem. "Tally, what's wrong." Blackstar looked over hir mate for some sign of the distress, an injery or a weapon strike, but all shi found was hir mate being angry with herself.

Then to Blackstar's great relief Silvertail showed up. "I don't know what's wrong with her."

Silvertail remained calm and scanned Talora with hir medical tricorder. "She's having an allergic reaction." Silvertail loaded a hypospray and injected Talora. "Stay away from Crdemom pods from now on." Turning to Blackstar shi said, "it's alright, a minor allergic reaction."

"Thanks doc. Sally, have Gunny check Sekhot and his ship. It looks like it dumped its missles for some reason," ordered Blackstar. "Tally, what were you doing down here in the first place?"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Damned human foods Talora thought, pulling into yet another corridor of the ship. She had been even more annoyed since her epic contest with the Cardemom pod of doom, as someone had jokingly put it. She wasn't a person to trifle with at the moment. Which is exactly what someone did.
She rounded the corner into another corridor, quite close to her quarters and ran into the nameless human that had boarded. She had no wish to have a conversations and attempted to pass. He burst out laughing when he saw her. Not sensible.
"What...are you laughing at?2 she said, barely audiable over the backing hiss.
"oh...nothin, nothing its just...one of our leadin crew members bein beaten by...an indian food stuff hahaha" He burst out. Again, not clever. She swung her arm up to his neck, pinning him to the wall. He begun choking. She pressed harder and harder, her eyes glistening with a carnel energy of years of torment. Just as his eyes began bulging, she let loose her grip. He collapsed to the floor, panting.
"Don't mock me." was all she said, turning back to her walk.[/quote]
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Gunny appeared in the shuttlebay at Sally's summons, stripped to the waist and glistening with exertion from his calisthenics. Talora brushed by him on his way in, obviously in no mood to talk. "You! Hologram," he shouted, "what's going on?"

Silvertail shot Gunny a look filled with all the feline arrogance hir programming could muster, but answered, "She had an allergic reaction to something she ate. I took care of it."

Gunny suddenly yelped and dropped prone as he took stock of the Laithan gunship, fully powered and swiveling its guns as it looked for a target. Locating Sekhot next to the ship, he continued, "What's the matter with you? Even if you MEANT to attack us, you're dumber than a bag of hammers if you'd have that thing open fire inside the bay!"

Sekhot punched a keypad on the ship's fuselage, causing it to cease searching for a target. "As a matter of fact," he replied icily, "what I did had exactly the effect I wanted - the alarms rang and someone showed up who could help the Romulan. And I have commanded battalions... I don't require your input on my decisions."

"Well," Gunny responded slowly, "I've never been an officer, and never been called 'sir.' I've always worked for a living... been one of those guys you sent to fight and die without ever seeing their faces." As Gunny paced around the Laithan gunship, his tone changed. "I see your kind goes for reliability and effectiveness over flash and sparkle, huh? You just pull the triggers, or do you know the actual ins and outs of these fire systems? I'll help you put it back together, and maybe you could help me put a REAL type of gun or two on the skimmer I'm working on... but I guess that'll have to wait."

"For what?" asked Sekhot, his upper arms crossed in front of him.

"Well, I guess I got to help some folks around here grow up a bit. We got a Romulan who damn near kills herself with her own food, and a whatever-you-are who damn near blows up my post because he couldn't figure to use an intercom." Sekhot spluttered with indignation and embarassment while eyeing the human coldly as Gunny continued, "But not a bad idea if you don't know how long a simian humanoid would have in that situation. Not bad at all... for an officer." Sekhot started to protest as Gunny winked, reminding him that his status wasn't nearly what it had been in the Empire.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Blackstar looked over the group shi considered hir senior staff. Hir image was being broadcast to the rest of the crew on various monitors throughout the ship. "This is Captain Blackstar," shi liked the sound of that. "To all those who I've hired as crew, congratulations and welcome aboard the ISV Starbolt's Pride. Here's a brief run-down: Everyone is under my command. Talora and Kenneth are my second-in-commands. If you have questions or concerns, you can address that to myself or my second in commands. Also, you should all be advised that this ship is equipped with an AI named Sally. She can help with information and ship's operations, feel free to utilize her. She does monitor all systems, however I assure you she's very discreet. Due to the nature of our first job, most of the information will be on a need-to-know basis. However I assure you our job is not only legal, but sanctioned by Starfleet itself. I want this ship ready for launch in twenty-four hours. I'd like everyone to be well rested and ready to go at 0900 hours. Have a nice day." Shi closed the channel.

"I'd like to test the cloak before we're too far underway," said Talora, "and hopefully before we need it, if we need it. It wasn't designed to cloak a ship this size, and I'd like to get the hang of operating it."

Blackstar nodded, "good thinking. We should test it before our next stop. Hopefully we won't actually need it before then, and can get any parts you need there."

"Were are we going anyway?" asked Talora.

"How do I know you're not working for Kortaga?" asked Blackstar.

"What did you say?" asked Talora.

"I'm sleeping on the couch?" asked Blackstar

"I'll think about it." said Talora. Blackstar hoped Talora knew it was just playful banter. Well, shi'd find out if Talora left hir pillow on the couch or not.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Cech was looking over the PADD that Jabber had passed him. After a period of time going over the details of bargaining and what people in the spacer community are paid Cech had decided that it'd probably just be best to let Jabber put togther a "Chief Engineer" contract for him.

"All right all right. I'll cut you in for a "clerks" fee of two bars. IF it goes over well. And remember it'll go bad if you screwed me here. "

Jabber assures him all is well and then some and Cech flicks through the antimatter replenishing section.

"It seems odd that shi didn't work this out before we got onboard." Cech asks.

"Well with most of the crew I know shi did. Standard stuff. Some of us have just been handled weird. I think shi's in a hurry. And probably was eager to get off the station." Jabbers suggest.

"Ah".

At that point they were interupted by the computer.

>Incoming message with video.

"Put it on the console screen"

Starbolts message played out.

"Alright looks like funs over. Lets get to it. " Cech said as his ripped off a chunk of turkey and dial up an ampstick.

The two then moved out of the ship, Cech looking the Caitan over to make sure it hadn't gotten an extra item. Just to be sure.

He looked around the deck and saw Gunny and moved over to him.

"Hey if we're going to be getting out of here maybe it's about time you guys actually let me look at your engines. You know. Before they blow and kill us all. "

Gunny paused. He was used to having people with recomendations working with him. He stood up tall and crossed his arms over his chest

"All right, but no funny business! I mean it."

"Of course not, I'm trying to get respected around here"

*puff*

"Not blow the ship up. Oh and here, my contract could you pass this on to the captain.".

Gunney just grunted an acknowledgement and took the PADD. "I'll want to see a full report soon. And don't think i won't check on you."

"Of course."

At that Cech moved off towards engineering
more posturing going on here than Orion modern dance.

Once there his jaw dropped and he nearly burned himself on his stick.

"What the frag is up with this warp core..." Obvious modifications had been made that he didn't recognize. He to a moment to compose himself.

"Sally"

>Yes

"What's all this here."

>The warp core.

"You're supposed to be an AI you know what I mean!" He said loudly pointing at the ceiling.

>Some modifications have been made. The standard warp 6.5 system was not adiquit.

"Well I'm going to have to know how to work with this stuff!"

>Yes an "engineer" level users manual has been prepared and is up on the engineering console.

"If something goes wrong it helps a lot if I actually know what the frag I'm working with though!"

>I'm afraid that information is only availible at the captains request.

"Great. Juuuust great." Cech started pouring through the documents. Then paused.

"Sally, it says here that you believe the ship can do warp 9.8 with the core modifications. "

>Yes. More actually

"I'm not seeing modifications on the Structureal Integrity Field system"

>We do not have the parts required for that, and it would require a spacedock overhaul.

"Oh that's great, just great." Cech's finders tapped the console like a strange piano as he put together a simulation of the ship doing warp 9.85

At first the ship on his screen soars through space faster than any frieghter has any right too. Faster than all but a handful of Fed ships.

For about 30 seconds. Then the ship started bucking and vibrating. The simulator logs starts indicating that inside consols are starting to pop and plasma conduits are breaching. After another thirty seconds pass and SIF distortions cause small cargo bay hull breach as Sally herself tries to alter the simulated ships internal fields to compensate. Shortly the Cargo container partially crumples and is ejected. However at two minutes in A nacelle twists and Warp plasma incinerates a large track of the inside of the ship causing the warp core to go critical.

Chech leans back in his chair. "Sally, I think "Kenneth" needs to see this. Let him know I'd like to see him in engineering."

"In the meantime lets the two of us see if we can't keep this thing to the "bucking bronco" setting at warp nine."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Talora sat, holding a small tricorder, sweeping over the cloakind device. Everything looked normal. Apart from the capacitors. The plasma flow was incredibly high for this size of device, but it was coping...with some modifications. The device had been altered to allow alot more energy into the system, energy needed to for a vessel this size. Theoretically it should work. The simulations predict it would. But one thing bothered her.
To help facilitate the fields deployment, she had tied some aspects of the system into the Shield emitters. She was worried whether someone would notice and not like it and whether the emitters would handle the conversions she made in order to emit the field. Time would tell.
She got up and left the room containing the device, entering the security code into the door to lock it. No-one would be tampering with it thats for sure.
"I'll get a hour in before we have to test," She said to herself, walking down the corridor to her and Blackstar's quarters. She encountered the human along the way. His face drained of colour as she passed. She merely smiled at him, bearing her teeth. Surprisingly pointy teeth for a Romulan.
Talora walked in and was greeted by the relatively well decorated quarters. Certainly alot better than most of the crews. Being the mate of the Captain had it's priviledges.
She was still undecided about what Blackstar had said. She thought it was meant as a joke. But you can never be sure. Oh well. Talora decided to give hir the benefit of a doubt. Besides....it'd get lonely.
The final thing to do was see Starbolt. She walked over to the cot, picked up the baby and sat on the couch, cradling the baby. Starbolt's milk bottle, half full, was next to her. She fed Starbolt a modest amount. Surprisingly, Starbolt didn't gulp it like usual. Just a slow steady drink.
Talora sat her back in the cot, satisfied Starbolt was fed and content. Then she changed into her night clothes. I'll leave the description at Not much.
Slipping into bed, she could think only of what Blackstar had said. Had she meant it? Had she been joking? What if Blackstar suspects her?
Talora drifted into a troubled, light sleep.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Gunny had dashed to the bridge as soon as Blackstar finished hir announcement. "Skipper?" he began hesitantly.

"Yes, Kenneth?"

"Please, call me 'Gunny,'" he told hir. "I probably wouldn't answer to 'Kenneth' anymore. Anyway... 2iC? Sir, I've never been appointed command in my life. I've always gotten my hands dirty."

"But you have had people under your command. Or so I was led to believe. And everything I saw told me that you handled it extremely well."

"Thank you, sir. But my boys didn't follow me because I was granted some divine officer's right; they followed me because my boots were always first on the ground and last off... because I never asked them to do anything I wouldn't."

"And that's what we need. Nobody here took an oath, or joined me as a matter of social or political pride or sense of civic duty. Rank is meaningless to most of this crew. What they WILL follow is exactly what you described... and maybe scrip. Can you do it for me?"

Gunny drew himself up to attention. "Aye, skipper."

"Excellent. Now go see what that's about," said Blackstar as the summons from engineering come over the intercom.

"Well, who rigged it like that?" asked Gunny in frustration.

"I don't know!" answered Cech with equal exasperation. "That artificial intelligence - hmmph! - won't tell me anything. And if we run that thing full tilt, we'll shake apart easy."

"Sally," said Gunny, "can you tell me where the non-standard core mods came from?"

Sally answered easily, "They were installed as a retrofit by Thrall in order to update the ship's specifications to Blackstar's desires."

"But he wouldn't shed too many tears if a traceable contact blew itself up, as long as shi wasn't mad that the ship wasn't up to spec. Right?"

"I'm not aware that Tholians have tear ducts or lachrymal glands," answered Sally dryly.

"Forget it," growled Sharkey, "and allow Jackson Cech access to all records necessary for maintenance and repair of the Pride's physical plant. Authorization 'Sharkey omega-union-eight-one-two.'" Turning to Cech, he asked, "Are they done right? The mods, I mean."

"Looks like they'll do exactly what they're supposed to. The fact that the rest of the ship wasn't upfitted to handle what the core can do is more of a side effect. The physical integrity of the Tholian hull is fine - the problem is the SIF and energy transfer systems."

"Fix 'em."

Cech's mouth hung slack, his "cigarette" hanging from a corner of his mouth. "That's it?! 'Fix 'em' is all you have to say?"

"You're the engineer... says so on the contract you had me enter. Use whatever hands you need, especially that Bossk if you need any heavy lifting - call me if anyone gives you a hard time. What speed can we use while you're working on it?"

"The original 6.5 equipment will be untouched. I'll let you know what conduits and relays I'll have to shut down in sequence."

Gunny waited a second, and then said, "Well, get to it, young lady! I ain't that pretty, so don't stand there staring at me!" As Cech turned to the main engineering console, Gunny left for the bridge with a small smile. That Cech was a twitchy little amp-fiend bundle of nerves, and getting eyeball deep in a hardcore engineering project was going to be the best thing in the galaxy for him right now.
Last edited by Mikey on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer