Starbolt's Pride Stats

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, it seems to fit with what we've seen of other Federation vessels.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:even M/AM is a type of fusion, right?
No. M/AM reactions harness the energy resultant from the annihilation of all parties involved when a particle interacts with its antiparticle.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Mikey wrote:
Rochey wrote:even M/AM is a type of fusion, right?
No. M/AM reactions harness the energy resultant from the annihilation of all parties involved when a particle interacts with its antiparticle.
so its a type of fission?

Dont get those confused, kiddies. Or my Physics teacher will come hit you with a ruler x.x
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No. It's not a nuclear reaction in those terms at all.

particle "X" touches antiparticle of "X" = energetic annihilation of both particles. No nuclei are fused OR divided; no heavier OR less massive nuclei result from the process. No particles result at all except quanta - because energy is released.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

In case you didn't follow what Mickey said. In terms of reactions, fission, fusion, and annihilation all mean specific things scientifically and they are different. Antimatter reactions are annihilation.

However for most people if you put some Okra in a crêpe that's "fusion" and so on. So that's probably what Rochey was thinking.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mmmmm... gumbo...

Sorry. *wipes drool*
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

M/AM reactions harness the energy resultant from the annihilation of all parties involved when a particle interacts with its antiparticle.
Details, details.... :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You're the one who asked, Mr. Grumpypants.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You're the one who asked, Mr. Grumpypants
To reiterate:
Details, details.... :P
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Wait, the pariticle is destroyed? What happened to the laws of conservation? o.o I mean, yeah, energy is released, but... the amount of energy you could get from destroying a single atom of something big with a lot of protons then youve got more energy than i would have thought you'd ever need.

Still, you did say energy is released, though i dunno how that much energy is contained without killing everyone.. especially since destroying an atom would simultaniously release Alpha, Beta and Gamma Radiation... Hrm. Weel.. Hydrogen (and Deuterium, it's isotope, which is used in M/AM arrays) is only small witha few protons, so its only low level nastyness.

..Sorry, its just so many Scifi's dont adhere to the Laws of Conservation xD And it vexes me so.
Last edited by Jabber Swarky on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sorry, its just so many Scifi's dont adhere to reality xD And it vexes me so.
Fixed it for you. :wink:
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Jabber Swarky wrote: Still, you did say energy is released, though i dunno how that much energy is contained without killing everyone.
Dilithium don't you know. :D

Seriously though that is why a warp core breach is a very very bad thing.

It's also why a photon torpedo only needs 1.5kg of antimatter in it's warhead to deliver a hit that would otherwise require twenty metric tons (or more) of nuclear bomb.

As for "Laws" the advent of special relativity, quantum mechanics, and a number of other advances have actually proved a fair number of laws "wrong".

However the old laws are good enough for high school physics and so they are still taught. And of course they are still used at all levels so long as the assumptions in your problem allow you to use them as approximations.

Actually a fair bit of physics that is taught at the lower levels isn't quite right.

For example do you think of an atom as a nucleus surrounded by electrons in circular orbits? That's not what it is. Electrons in an atom aren't actually at a point until they're measured. And if you track where they are measured to approximate an orbit what you get looks like.

http://www.geo.arizona.edu/xtal/nats101/orbitals.jpg
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Nah, i know about protons and quarks and such ^^. Though, Qantum is a bitch to get your head around =/
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Hey Blackstar. Could you give some info on what is or is not in your ship?

For example do you have any crew in there already or did it just start off with the Daystrom squad, thrall, and Sally?

Also any comments on the presence or quality of things like sickbay, holodecks, science labs, industrial replicators, etc.

Or is the policy in things like this to not lay out stuff like that and instead wait until it comes up to decide?

I'd be inclined to lay it out mostly, possibly even with a deckplan. But I'm new at this format.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Regarding laws of physics, what has been shown is that special relativity - which is based on traditional mechanical physics - breaks down into uselessness at the quantum-mechanical level. Thus, the search for the grail of physics, a true GUT (Grand Unified Theory.)

And thanks to Heisenberg, who showed the world that you can't tell where anything really is, the act of measuring the position of an electron will invariably change its velocity - whichmeans you can only be accurate on 50% of the relevant measurement.

As far as conservation, we have relativity to explain that. An M/AM reaction is one case of a transformation of mass into equivalent energy. Annihilation precludes transformation of matter to other matter, so I don't believe that H nuclei (protons,) alpha, or beta particles are released, although Thorin would probably be better suited to say if this is actually the case.
as Bull offed Custer