"Allah" Embroidered onto Viking Funeral Clothes?

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

"Allah" Embroidered onto Viking Funeral Clothes?

Post by Nutso »

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-41567391
Researchers in Sweden have found Arabic characters woven into burial costumes from Viking boat graves. The discovery raises new questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia, writes journalist Tharik Hussain.

They were kept in storage for more than 100 years, dismissed as typical examples of Viking Age funeral clothes.

But a new investigation into the garments - found in 9th and 10th Century graves - has thrown up groundbreaking insights into contact between the Viking and Muslim worlds.

Patterns woven with silk and silver thread have been found to spell the words "Allah" and "Ali".
Larsson has so far found the names on at least 10 of the nearly 100 pieces she is working through, and they always appear together.

The new find now raises fascinating questions about the grave's occupants.

"The possibility that some of those in the graves were Muslim cannot be completely ruled out," she says.

"We know from other Viking tomb excavations that DNA analysis has shown some of the people buried in them originated from places like Persia, where Islam was very dominant.

"However, it is more likely these findings show that Viking age burial customs were influenced by Islamic ideas such as eternal life in paradise after death."
I guess The 13th Warrior was a documentary?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: "Allah" Embroidered onto Viking Funeral Clothes?

Post by Mikey »

Nutso wrote:I guess The 13th Warrior was a documentary?
You mean the film adaptation of the novel Eaters of the Dead?...

Anyway, I tend to agree with the given conclusion. Viking-era Scandinavian culture was quite cosmopolitan, and its religion was very pragmatic - the idea of sewing an extra word or two onto funeral clothing just to "boost one's chances" fits with other attested willingness to adopt alien traditions without it being considered heresy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: "Allah" Embroidered onto Viking Funeral Clothes?

Post by Nutso »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 03881.html

Viking textile did not feature word 'Allah', expert says

Medieval Islamic art and archaeology professor Stephennie Mulder disputes the findings, saying the inscription has 'no Arabic at all'
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park