Tech

Talondor
Master chief petty officer

Tech

Post by Talondor »

Although the Orville has replicators (or what I assume are replicators, do not believe they have actually been called that yet), they do not have teleporters (at least not used yet, if they do). I believe in the Star Trek universe, although related, the discovery of this technologies was reversed. Anyone else notice this?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Tech

Post by stitch626 »

We know teleporters exist (they were not surprised at the possibility of the tech in the second episode). But it seems likely they are not on the ships, maybe due to size.

However, they have really useful replicators and decent holodecks.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It seems to me that it makes more sense to have replicators first. The idea of a replicator, at least in Trek, is that it's essentially a modified transporter - you have a store of simple patterns and a supply of bulk material, and the replicator uses whatever pattern to rearrange the material to make the object. And this is done at "molecular resolution" rather than the "quantum resolution" required for living things. Right?

So wouldn't it make sense that the lower resolution system would be created first? Digital cameras, computer displays, fax machines... you name it, the first iterations always have lower resolution and less fidelity than the more developed versions.

And the replicator doesn't need to be able to scan the pattern in the first place, doesn't need to be able to squirt the disassociated matter through space, doesn't need to be able to reassemble it all perfectly 40,000 kilometres away from the actual machines doing the reassembling, doesn't even need to be able to link to another replicator to send something from one to another. Seems to me that it would be a much easier thing to build.

But, I can't imagine the Union is that far away from transporter tech. A few decades, a century at the most.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I really like that the Orville Universe doesn't have a flat plane of technology like we tend to see in Star Trek. I would imagine it's known to them but they have the schematics. There seems to be at least a few races significantly more advanced than the Union that could.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Talondor

Post by Talondor »

We did learn one thing in last night's episode. If I heard correctly, they call the replicators "food synthesizers"