New Doctor to be revealed...

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Doctor to be revealed...

Post by Graham Kennedy »

...on Sunday, after the Wimbledon men's singles final.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: New Doctor to be revealed...

Post by Mikey »

Roger Federer will be the new Doctor!!!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So they really have done it.

The new Doctor is going to be played by Jodie Whittaker.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I don't think I've seen her in anything. or if I have, I don't remember. Thanks, bad memory! :bangwall:

Anyway, I look forward to this. :) Cheers to you, Jodie!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I don't think I've seen her in anything. or if I have, I don't remember. Thanks, bad memory! :bangwall:

She's mostly been in UKTV stuff.

Ironically, one of her recent big roles was in a detective show called Broadchurch, also starring David Tennant!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I don't think I've seen her in anything. or if I have, I don't remember. Thanks, bad memory! :bangwall:

She's mostly been in UKTV stuff.

Ironically, one of her recent big roles was in a detective show called Broadchurch, also starring David Tennant!
Thanks, Graham. Alleviates that a bit. ;) And cool about the bit with Tennant! :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

More intriguing still, the creator and writer of Broadchurch? Chris Chibnall - the new showrunner on Dr Who.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:More intriguing still, the creator and writer of Broadchurch? Chris Chibnall - the new showrunner on Dr Who.
Curiouser and curiouser!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Chibnall also created the U.S. version of Broadchurch, entitled Gracepoint, which (interestingly enough) featured David Tennant.
as Bull offed Custer
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

I've been biting my tongue on this, but I have to say that I'm in the disappointed camp. If they had genuinely wanted to tell stories from a female perspective, there were no end of possibilities. Astrid and Clara, Jenny, River, Madame Vastra and the gang, hell, even a Romana III or Susan II. I'd absolutely love to see any of those shows. Instead, they gave us a horrid Buffy wannabe spinoff and a change that feels to me like blatant pandering from a showrunner that is on record saying, "I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman".
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

No issue at all with a woman, this woman in particular I have no idea aboutbecause I have no idea who she is. I was a little perturbed by the fact she was from Chibbers' Broadchurch and that might mean he's one of the up their own arse cliquey Joss Whedon types, but It was pointed out that Eccleston and Tennant had both worked with RTD. RTD's era may have a lot of issues, but I never felt egotistical elitism was one of them.

She is also from Yorkshire, which by default makes her THE BEST DOCTOR WHO EVER.
Mikey wrote:Chibnall also created the U.S. version of Broadchurch, entitled Gracepoint, which (interestingly enough) featured David Tennant.
That's interesting, because David Tennant was also one of the stars of Broadchurch. It seems unusual to me to cast the same guy in foreign remake.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Griffin wrote:That's interesting, because David Tennant was also one of the stars of Broadchurch. It seems unusual to me to cast the same guy in foreign remake.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at - Tennant was cast in the same role in what was essentially the same show on either side of the pond. He was fantastic in both, don't get me wrong... if they're trying to start a trend, I sure as hell wouldn't mind seeing an American production of Luther with Idris Elba.

As far as a female Doctor... well, I don't mind, as long as they don't make a "thing" of it. That is, there's no reason to center or harp on the fact of the Doctor's female-ness. It's not like it's groundbreaking anymore for a female regeneration of a formerly-male character...

Since it's now a matter of "been there, done that," then the show should treat it as such. Otherwise, the show becomes less about being a great show and more about making a point about which nobody really cares anymore.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:As far as a female Doctor... well, I don't mind, as long as they don't make a "thing" of it. That is, there's no reason to center or harp on the fact of the Doctor's female-ness. It's not like it's groundbreaking anymore for a female regeneration of a formerly-male character...
It's not even groundbreaking for there to be a female regeneration of the Doctor.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:As far as a female Doctor... well, I don't mind, as long as they don't make a "thing" of it. That is, there's no reason to center or harp on the fact of the Doctor's female-ness. It's not like it's groundbreaking anymore for a female regeneration of a formerly-male character...
It's not even groundbreaking for there to be a female regeneration of the Doctor.
Indeed. You have a better memory than I, whoever you are.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
God, I love that. :D