Dissed by the caption comp

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
N'tran DS 12
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Re: Dissed by the caption comp

Post by N'tran DS 12 »

I'm wondering who won last month's caption comp? I don't any names on the list for the winner/ honorable mentions.
Cyrus Ramsay
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Cyrus Ramsay »

I'm having the same problem, i.e. receiving an "anti-spam" message when trying to post an entry to the caption competition. I even tried logging into the bulletin board first in case only registered users are allowed to post entries (which, BTW, would be a sensible idea).

The only possibility I can think of is that the software is responding negatively to a word which has an offensive meaning but not in the context in which I am using it. (And I am not quoting that word here as somebody could work out what my caption is and use it themselves.)

Any ideas?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Send me a PM with the entry you are trying to post and I will see what the problem will be. I can see that 'last months winner' hasn't worked. I'll take a look at that tonight.
email, ergo spam
Frankie Chestnuts
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Frankie Chestnuts »

Any help here? No winner last month. I was also unable to vote last month. Pretty low interest this month (37 entries). DITL'ers are getting frustrated.

Thanks!

Frankie Chestnuts
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

As far as I am aware it is working fine. Please send me any caption you are having problems with (via pm). I can't diagnose a problem I'm not able to reproduce.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Why were you unable to vote. Please send any error messages. Without them it's like you are saying there's a problem with my car, please fix it. Then when asked what's wrong you don't say.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, I've spotted an issue with Voting, which is now corrected.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Once again getting the Python-esque spam warning when trying to enter.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

And once again, I ask that you send me the caption as I am at a loss as to why it wouldn't work. Please check that you are using the correct site url http://www.ditl.org and that there are no proxies in place. Clear you browser cache, etc.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:And once again, I ask that you send me the caption as I am at a loss as to why it wouldn't work. Please check that you are using the correct site url http://www.ditl.org and that there are no proxies in place. Clear you browser cache, etc.
Tried before and after clearing the cache, and I got the DITL response from DITL on the DITL caption comp so I'm fairly certain I had the right URL. I don't recall the exact verbiage I used, as I tried three or four times with differing captions. The latest was a Scooby-Doo reference, nothing at all blue or misanthropic in it.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I'm afraid seeing message claiming to be DITL is no guarantee that your web browser isn't causing the problem. Which one are you using?

Last person to send me a caption I tried it and it worked perfectly. Something is preventing that for you (and others). I'm attempting to get to the bottom of it, but I do need information to enable this.

If anyone is using anything other than http://www.ditl.org I would like to know about it. Secondly, if you are using a proxy, vpn or other such items I need to know.

I've fixed the previous issues, as far as I am aware. Unless I can reproduce the problem I cannot make further progress. The anti spam fix and the no voting fix are both documented in the what's new, so you can see when they were fixed. All I can think is that something is holding on to the old world order, that could be a browser cache or a proxy somewhere else. It's even possible it's a mirror system somewhere. I've certainly not set one up so I have nothing I can fix.

Captions and name are useful as I can try them my self and see if I can produce the problem. If not then you caption is posted, with your name. If I do then it's helpful for everyone. Send them to me using a PM, then nobody else can steal them.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps later on I'll try again and document the details specifically for you.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Many thanks. I have made a change to try and enforce the anti-caching policy of the site, so perhaps it will be better. We can but see.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, thanks to a Caption provided by Miss Marple I've discovered, and fixed, another problem with the Caption Comp. The messages have been being cut off at the first ". What's left is then checked for uniqueness with existing captions. A match provided the spam message. It's just as bad if you start with a ", as that leads to an empty message, and again a spam warning. This, as I said above, is now fixed. Hopefully that should resolve the problem.

As I've said before it's exceptionally useful to have the actual caption that you've been trying to post. It means that the problem is reproducible, which allows me to not only track down the issue in the first place, but to check that the fix actually works.

Just in case please clear your browser cache before trying a caption, this one time. You should also see (New fixed version) on the entry screen, just below the "keep it clean" message. If you don't see that then you're caching the page and their could be a problem.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Check.
as Bull offed Custer