New RPG ship name

Which name do you want for the ship?

Starbolt's Pride
40%
Unnamed
10%
Starduster
No votes
Other name(as in for the ship, not as the ship name)
50%

Total votes: 10
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

New RPG ship name

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Now I don't want to be too controlling and name the ship something that no one likes so I'm going to list my favorites. I have omitted any names that are forign, or that I don't think make any sense.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Now, these aren't the name I thought of today and then promptly forgot (don't drop acid, kids!) - but how about something simple but Latin to give it an erudite flair: like the Malleus, the Imperatrix, or some such.

Or, strictly for Rochey's benefit: the S.S. Pog ma thon. Hope I spelled that right, but I thought it might fit our collective attitude. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I don't speak Latin. I don't know any Latin. I don't even know where the country that speaks latin is.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nobody speaks it anymore. Latin was the language of the Roman Empire, and the root of most modern Western languages.

BTW; "Malleus" = hammer; "Imperatrix" = empress
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

So no one speaks it anymore? Then why would we name a ship, when no one would have any idea what it means. It would be like if I suggested the name: Shisno. Chances are no one here knows what it means. Free cookie to anyone who does.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Red vs Blue. I should check them out again.

And I think that obscure languages are commonly used for names in sci-fi/fantasy so you can name your ship "Raven blood" or "mighty hammer" while coming off as sophisticated instead of an immature wanker.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly. It gives an erudite a/o obscure tone to an obvious name. Imagine if all the eldar lays in Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" were just written in English.
as Bull offed Custer
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

USS Dauntless
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Already was one of those....sort of. I think we're probably avoiding "USS" designations as well?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I was thinking MSS. Mercenary Star Ship. As opposed to whatever USS stands for.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Would we be advertising that so blatantly? I was thinking we'd just be named, like Trek cargo ships. And if we needed a ship prefix it would, as today, either designate a (legal) role. the propulsion type, or soemtimes in trek they seem to use race/governement.

Sounds like the feds use a "class" system for ships to designate ability. Class 7 is pretty sad and calss 9 is even worse. So maybe we'd be a class 2 or something. I dunno.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or, strictly for Rochey's benefit: the S.S. Pog ma thon. Hope I spelled that right, but I thought it might fit our collective attitude.
The S.S. Kiss My Ass? :lol:
Nobody speaks it anymore. Latin was the language of the Roman Empire, and the root of most modern Western languages.
Technicaly, the Vatican still has it as it's official language. Asside from that, the only speakers are people like me who learned it (badly) in college. :)
I was thinking MSS. Mercenary Star Ship. As opposed to whatever USS stands for.
Or we could just drop the prefix altogether, and just identify ourselves by the ship's name.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The S.S. Kiss My Ass?
Well, it sounds better in Irish... :lol:

Ecclesiastical Latin is a debased and mispronounced form of the language, but I guess it counts as a native tongue since the Vatican is a sovereign nation.

As far as prefix, I would assume that it would be S.S., NAR, or one of the non-Starfleet prefixes we've seen. I don't think a crew of mercenaries would go about advertising the fact that they were mercenaries.

For details of prefixes, see here:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schem ... _ships.htm
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, good point on the Ecclesiastical version of the language.

Also, a simple S.S. for 'Starship' would probably work well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I still like mythological names, esp. mythological beasts: Garuda, Jormungandir, Chimera, Griffon, Thunderbird...

Ooh! How about the Chimera? Especially since we have parts scavenged from all over the Alpha and Beta Quadrants?
as Bull offed Custer