What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I too hope for the best for all that.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:16 pm Seems like a reasonable option so long as she can get there safely. Wishing for the best.
Today we found out it can't happen. Some hospital politics. My Dad is still pissed because the hospital was so quick to try to pull the plug.

Anyway my brother and his wife visited her today and she was wide awake and engaging with them. We will wait to see what happens.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Fingers crossed for you, McAvoy.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well I went to the cinema on Sunday to see 5 movies. I actually ended up seeing none, unless “What happens in A&E, on a Sunday” counts.

I was tripped up by a bad piece of brick paving and after 6 X-rays I have a broken shoulder. Arm is in a sling ever since. More x-rays on Tuesday showed that the ball at the top of my arm is fractured in at least 3 places. Yet more on Monday will decide if I need surgery to put plates in.

I was looking forward to the trip, but this wasn’t the one I wanted.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Having experienced bi-lateral shoulder surgeries several years ago, I feel your pain! Whatever the outcome, do all the physical therapy afterwards!! It will suck and feel like torture with no resolution in sight, but you will get there. Just takes time and hard work! Good luck!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:54 pm Well I went to the cinema on Sunday to see 5 movies. I actually ended up seeing none, unless “What happens in A&E, on a Sunday” counts.

I was tripped up by a bad piece of brick paving and after 6 X-rays I have a broken shoulder. Arm is in a sling ever since. More x-rays on Tuesday showed that the ball at the top of my arm is fractured in at least 3 places. Yet more on Monday will decide if I need surgery to put plates in.

I was looking forward to the trip, but this wasn’t the one I wanted.
Oh, ouch! I'm so sorry. That sounds horrendous. :(
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My Mom died on February 29th at 5:30pm. They did a CAT scan earlier that day and found she wasn't getting oxygen in the area of her stomach. Which according to her doctor, it's indicating her stomach was dying. They could not do surgery because she wouldn't survive it or even she did she still had issues with infections which he said was increasing.

By this point my Mom was totally unconscious and machines were keeping her level. It was time at that point. We were told once she was off treatments, she would last anywhere between 3 to 24 hours. She lasted about a little over an hour.

We are cremating her which I think might have already been done by now. There will be a service on the 23rd followed by a nice family get together at a local wine Vineyard.

Tomorrow my brother and I will go over my Dad's expenses. I already had to fix a few like cable and power as it looks like my Mom did that manually. Financially my Mom left my Dad extremely well off. He is set for life so that is good.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:31 am My Mom died on February 29th at 5:30pm. They did a CAT scan earlier that day and found she wasn't getting oxygen in the area of her stomach. Which according to her doctor, it's indicating her stomach was dying. They could not do surgery because she wouldn't survive it or even she did she still had issues with infections which he said was increasing.

By this point my Mom was totally unconscious and machines were keeping her level. It was time at that point. We were told once she was off treatments, she would last anywhere between 3 to 24 hours. She lasted about a little over an hour.

We are cremating her which I think might have already been done by now. There will be a service on the 23rd followed by a nice family get together at a local wine Vineyard.

Tomorrow my brother and I will go over my Dad's expenses. I already had to fix a few like cable and power as it looks like my Mom did that manually. Financially my Mom left my Dad extremely well off. He is set for life so that is good.
I offer my sincerest condolences, and I hope you're doing as well as possible. :(
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Again, my sincerest condolences. In time you will come to remember all the excellent times you had together. Thinking of you
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Thanks for the kind words about my shoulder. I’m waiting to hear if I need surgery. I’m pretty limited to my phone for now, as I can’t lift my laptop to use it.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:52 pm Again, my sincerest condolences. In time you will come to remember all the excellent times you had together. Thinking of you
Thank you. I accidently watched a video of my Mom recording her granddaughter (my niece) when she was three maybe four years old. It hit me hard because I heard my mother's voice.

It also reminded me my Mom was always a motherly figure to not only to myself and my brother but she also was to many other people not just to her own grandchildren. I favored my mother when I was growing up over my Dad until I joined the Navy and started to favor my Dad more. Perhaps because I am more like my Dad now. She used to joke when a picture of me as a kid came up she would say 'this was back when you used to love me.'
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

After my mom had been gone for over 20 yrs, one of her friends sent me an old recipe card she found, in my mother's handwriting...I fell to pieces as if her death had just happened. These emotional triggers will pop up at the strangest times and bowl you over. It is a testement to the love you still have for her and will continue to have throughout your life.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

My condolences McAvoy, small things will pop up to remind you of her from time to time.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Thank you all. It hasn't truly hit me yet. My Dad says the memorial service will be the hardest because that is when it hits in it's finality.

Even right now, my mind is finding it difficult that she is truly gone. Like she is in the bedroom when I come over or something.