What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A minor thing, but I just got Susanna Hoffs' solo CD 'the Deep End' in the mail. I'm listening to it even as I type and am loving it. :)
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Enjoying what will likely be the last cool, low humidity day until October...f*cking global warming!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

T'Pau wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:34 pm I was scrolling through the tv listings the other day and noticed a marathon of the old sci-fi series Fringe was on. Being shown on the weekends over several weeks, it has been a wonderful rediscovery of the show. So nice to be catching some things here and there that I'd missed on previous viewings. Sure, it is dated, but still holds up quite well.
Finished off the series, and for all the timey-wimey parallel universe nonsense, I still really enjoyed it. The first season is the best, for the relationship building between Walter and the rest..where the last few episodes of the final season, are heart-breaking because of how those relationships were set up.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Missing Graham today..hard to believe it's been 3yrs already..crazy how time evaporates when you're not paying attention.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I hadn't realised it had been three years! I miss seeing his posts.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Indeed, we remembered when we got up today. I do miss him frequently. Going to the cinema just isn't the same without him.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

God, three years? Fuck... yeah. I still miss him.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

In November of 2021 my wife Aimee was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer, caused by a mutated genetic marker. The doctors fortunately didn't recommend chemo, but instead a targeted therapy (a drug called Tegrisso, which is $600 per pill!) along with a few sessions of radiation therapy. Her latest test results came back and the therapy is working. No new lesions, and the ones she does have are scarred over. She still has to take the medication for the forseeable future, but fortunately our insurance pays for it. Otherwise it's $18,000 for a 30 day supply. We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversay in Calistoga, CA., right next to Napa Valley in the heart of wine country. So for me and my family, things are very good.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear of the problems, but very happy to hear that the treatment is working. Having lost Graham and my mother to Cancer I know how much of a knockout blow it can be to get the diagnosis for someone you love.

We have just celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. It was only last year that we got married, or so it feels.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

mwhittington wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:00 am In November of 2021 my wife Aimee was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer, caused by a mutated genetic marker. The doctors fortunately didn't recommend chemo, but instead a targeted therapy (a drug called Tegrisso, which is $600 per pill!) along with a few sessions of radiation therapy. Her latest test results came back and the therapy is working. No new lesions, and the ones she does have are scarred over. She still has to take the medication for the forseeable future, but fortunately our insurance pays for it. Otherwise it's $18,000 for a 30 day supply. We just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversay in Calistoga, CA., right next to Napa Valley in the heart of wine country. So for me and my family, things are very good.
I'm glad the therapy's working and insurance is covering it. :) Sorry she had to go through that in the first place. :(
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

IanKennedy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:22 am Wow, I'm so sorry to hear of the problems, but very happy to hear that the treatment is working. Having lost Graham and my mother to Cancer I know how much of a knockout blow it can be to get the diagnosis for someone you love.

We have just celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. It was only last year that we got married, or so it feels.
Ian, I am so sorry. I didn't know Graham was gone. I'm sorry you lost both Graham and your mother. Cancer sucks, man! F*** cancer!
At the same time, congrats on your 21st anniversary! Any marriage lasting longer than 10 years is kinda rare, nowadays, so you should be proud of that. I know I am of mine.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Thanks, Striker. I appreciate that.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Wow, sorry, yes it was 3 years ago a few days ago. It was quite a shock and all over in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the congratulations. We're as happy now as we were when we got married.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:30 pm

Thanks for the congratulations. We're as happy now as we were when we got married.
May you and your wife dance the funky chicken on your fiftieth wedding anniversary! :D
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

:)
email, ergo spam