What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, lousy-ass weekend. Work was tremendously busy, and my father and stepmother had to put their cat Tai Bo down. Fast-acting cancer. Fuck cancer.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

God, that's nasty. At least it didn't suffer.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Thanks. Appreciated, Ian.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My Mom has been in the hospital for for the past week. Back in 2020 had a kidney transplant which left her immune system non existent. She also came in with a host of issues that they had to fix during that time. She was there from February to October. She racked up a $7 million bill, good thing she has very good insurance.

Anyway, she still has a host of issues. Her going into the hospital was not the first time. Last September she went in for a few days.

Now she went in for high blood sugar, low potassium levels, an infection and uncontrollable diarrhea. My Dad called me an hour ago suggesting I visit her tomorrow. Not quite at that point, but it's serious enough to be there for her and talk to her for five to ten minutes.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I had to make a similar call to my siblings during my time caring for a parent. Go and stay as long as you can, even if she isn't awake/aware. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:22 am I had to make a similar call to my siblings during my time caring for a parent. Go and stay as long as you can, even if she isn't awake/aware. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
Thank you. I had received similar calls when it came to my grandparents (mother side) years ago. They were both at the end with their dimentia. It came first for grandfather who died days after visited him, while my grandmother knew nothing of who I was but somehow knew my Dad but not his daughter (my Mom). My grandmother took slightly longer after the last meeting, she was reliving her WW2 years. We had her over prior for Christmas and that was way worse.

My Dad's phone call about my Mom brought back memories of that. That was difficult enough.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Infections can be difficult things even in this day and age. Once they turn into sepsis it is a difficult battle. They can never be sure of the outcome, err on the side of caution and see her when you can. Even as you hope for the best.

My thoughts are with you.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:33 am My Mom has been in the hospital for for the past week. Back in 2020 had a kidney transplant which left her immune system non existent. She also came in with a host of issues that they had to fix during that time. She was there from February to October. She racked up a $7 million bill, good thing she has very good insurance.

Anyway, she still has a host of issues. Her going into the hospital was not the first time. Last September she went in for a few days.

Now she went in for high blood sugar, low potassium levels, an infection and uncontrollable diarrhea. My Dad called me an hour ago suggesting I visit her tomorrow. Not quite at that point, but it's serious enough to be there for her and talk to her for five to ten minutes.
I'm sorry, McAvoy. :( As t'Pau said, go and be with her, even if she's not awake.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Thanks everyone. She is still not well and looking rough but stable. Yes, there is still a danger with that infection. But she seems to be getting better slowly. I do know she will be there for awhile and then get transferred for physical therapy.

One of her issues which is more on her than anything is that she doesn't want to do any therapy which causes her to walk with a walker. More inclined to sit at the computer or the couch and binge watch shows.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Got a call today to come to the hospital this time very very serious. Last night at 11:30pm I got a call about sending my Mom back to the ICU, so I know today's phone call was serious.

Anyway, treatments for my Mom's infection isn't working. The doctors have suggested at this point to do pain management. Which means no longer treating the issue but making her comfortable. Treatment will end tomorrow so we can shuffle as many people to se me her as possible before she truly becomes incoherent. Once she is on pain management, that means meds like morphine and her condition worsing quickly.

I honestly suspect once that happens my Mom will be gone by the end of the weekend. Work knows about it. I have canceled everything related to my 40th birthday this weekend (this Saturday). Has talks with my Dad and my brother about the aftermath and taking over paying bills for my Dad. It was always my mother.

Oh yeah. Happy fucking bullshit birthday to me.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

So sorry to hear about these developments. My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I'm so sorry to hear that. Thinking of you and your family in this difficult time.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:18 pm Got a call today to come to the hospital this time very very serious. Last night at 11:30pm I got a call about sending my Mom back to the ICU, so I know today's phone call was serious.

Anyway, treatments for my Mom's infection isn't working. The doctors have suggested at this point to do pain management. Which means no longer treating the issue but making her comfortable. Treatment will end tomorrow so we can shuffle as many people to se me her as possible before she truly becomes incoherent. Once she is on pain management, that means meds like morphine and her condition worsing quickly.

I honestly suspect once that happens my Mom will be gone by the end of the weekend. Work knows about it. I have canceled everything related to my 40th birthday this weekend (this Saturday). Has talks with my Dad and my brother about the aftermath and taking over paying bills for my Dad. It was always my mother.

Oh yeah. Happy fucking bullshit birthday to me.
All I can do is offer my sincere condolences. I'm very sorry. :(
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think after sleeping on it, my Das has decided to keep the treatments for my Mom. The simple reason is that my Mom is responsive and at times wide awake. Yelling at nurses and all that.

Pulling the plug so to speak just seems to be too early for that. Right now the idea is move her to another hospital where she had her kidney transplant surgery and do her treatments there. Second opinion and also my Dad has grown distrustful of the doctors where she is at. It's just a matter of determining if she can be transferred there safely.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Seems like a reasonable option so long as she can get there safely. Wishing for the best.
email, ergo spam