Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Trek XIII general news and rumours

Post by sunnyside »

Graham Kennedy wrote:New poster

Colourful!
I'm not the only one who had this thought on seeing that poster am I?

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

TBH, it reminded more of the 1979 TMP poster.

As to the original Sulu, I honestly don't recall any exploration of his sexual preference save in the Mirror Universe, and it could certainly be argued that the mirror preference didn't have any bearing on the "prime" universe preference of any given character.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

About the only thing I can think of is that Sulu was as ga-ga over Mudd's Women as anybody else. Which would be unexpected, if he was gay.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:About the only thing I can think of is that Sulu was as ga-ga over Mudd's Women as anybody else. Which would be unexpected, if he was gay.
I didn't recall that. OK, then.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:About the only thing I can think of is that Sulu was as ga-ga over Mudd's Women as anybody else. Which would be unexpected, if he was gay.
Plus Demora.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Plus Demora.
How so?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Because having a child, while not definitive, at least implies that the individual in question was not gay.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Because having a child, while not definitive, at least implies that the individual in question was not gay.
Even today, that really doesn't hold true - something like a quarter of all gay couples have kids.

But in the 23rd century we have no idea what the statistics are. Most likely, gays would be equally likely to have and raise children compared to straights - simply going on the assumption of a society that is on all levels equally accepting and supportive of gays compared to straights and the desire for family being a basic human drive.

But it could go either way. There's absolutely nothing in all of Trek to say otherwise, that I am aware of.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:Even today, that really doesn't hold true - something like a quarter of all gay couples have kids.

But in the 23rd century we have no idea what the statistics are. Most likely, gays would be equally likely to have and raise children compared to straights - simply going on the assumption of a society that is on all levels equally accepting and supportive of gays compared to straights and the desire for family being a basic human drive.
Hence why I said it wasn't definitive.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Given the points I raised, it's not even really indicative.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:TBH, it reminded more of the 1979 TMP poster.
The thing that came to mind was the girls with very similar staff weapons and to an extent poses.

But I guess it was just me.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

So I guess the Abramsverse is being officially named the Kevin Timeline now:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... cial-name/

Although in some of Pegg's stuff about Sulu and some other Star Trek Online stuff it sounds like they're increasingly treating it like a separate dimension or something. I guess Sulu was born after Kirk, and so would have been conceived after the Narada and might not be genetically identical to the original Sulu, so it doesn't absolutely have to be a different dimension, but there's enough stuff pushing it that way.

Actually, if they'd broken the timeline slightly earlier they might have easily established the differences in appearances and all that by just slightly changing things enough to alter which sperm out of millions made it. Everybody watching some extra piece of news about some strange anomaly could have changes things that much. For whatever reason, the Narada could still have whacked the Kevin in basically the exact same way some time later.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indicating that definitely in the film would have been almost unbearably clumsy and awkward.
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The review embargo has been lifted, here's the Rotten Tomatoes ratings: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_beyond/
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Rotten tomato has gone way down hill and has been proven to accept bribe money for high ratings.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.