Tech level of the Vulcans/Romulans

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I wonder if the guy who wrote that episode ever thought about how much controversy that one line would cause.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's funny, because it seems pretty straightforward to me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I agree with your interpretation but I can see how others can think differently.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

On the plus side, it does look like some crafty engineering on the part of the Romulans to get so much out of a weak power source. Of course, the whole idea of the ship was that it was limited in range/number of times it could fire the superweapon due to its engines. Still, the Romulan engineers did get the most out of that power source.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You make a good point, although Scotty's apparent derision of their power generation could apply more to the type of tech rather than the degree. While the TYPE of generation may have been a secondary technology to the Feds, they certainly could (and probably must have) scaled it up enough to got to warp, fight with a Fed ship at elngth, etc.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Clearly, they must have. But, (apparently) fusion reactors would have to be enormous (or numerous) and burn huge quantities of fuel to match a M/ARA; the Romulan BoP didn't look like it had that much space for the reactor or fuel. The implication is that the Romulans got a lot out of that reactor, but couldn't match the M/ARA and/or would exhaust it's fuel much more quickly - which seemed to be the case as the BoP was just about on empty by the final battle scene.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Right on. The peak a/o average output may have been similar to an M/AM reactor, but obviously there was a drawback in comparison - lack of duration.
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:Why you gotta bust on Zimbabwe? They'd just hitch along with whatever Moscow was doing anyway.
Don't you watch the news? They'd buy a rocket from the Chinese. :P

I think the only way for Earth to unite is if aliens were common and at least slightly hostile. I doubt humans will ever unite until then.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:Don't you watch the news? They'd buy a rocket from the Chinese.
:lol:

I suspect you're right - it would take some sort of potentially dangerous outside agency to effect that type of unification.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:Right on. The peak a/o average output may have been similar to an M/AM reactor, but obviously there was a drawback in comparison - lack of duration.
Yeah. Didn't the Romulans mention a few times that they were running low on fuel?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Yeah. Didn't the Romulans mention a few times that they were running low on fuel?
Yes.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The massive exust also points at high fuel consumption.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:The massive exust also points at high fuel consumption.
What massive exhaust?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It looks overly large to me for a ship that size.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It may be similar to the IR supressors on modern military helicopters. Which have large outlets to disperse the exhaust so it doesn't show up as well on IR. The BoP is a stealth ship and we know that it's cloak was far from perfect, they may have been trying to get any advantage they could.