New RPG discussion.

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

On the beam weapons I don't think it would be a matter of multiplying out the numbers. I think they're just counting how many individual strips you can see on the model.

So for example the big figging type X on a Galaxy and one of the tiny little strips on the back of a Steamrunner would both be counted as "1".

I would guess that total energy output would have been calculated by finding the total length of the strips on a ship.

Or just pulled out of a hat.

By the way might there be room for one more person who might not be able to post reliably?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You could always be the cook. :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I can only speak for myself, but I'd be glad to have you aboard.

As far as not being able to post reliably; well, we all have school/work/family/other obligations. Thanks to the character/prose-driven nature of how this works, we're not tied to a "turn" or "round" system. We can always "backdate" a post, as long is it's clear when that particular post takes place. So, even if you miss something that you want to get in on, you can always go back to it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sure thing, Sunny. We could always use another redshirt around. :P

Hmm, shall I start a thread for the characters? By now I'd say several people have their characters worked out, and this thread seems more dedicated to planning the actual thing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

sunnyside wrote:On the beam weapons I don't think it would be a matter of multiplying out the numbers. I think they're just counting how many individual strips you can see on the model.

So for example the big figging type X on a Galaxy and one of the tiny little strips on the back of a Steamrunner would both be counted as "1".

I would guess that total energy output would have been calculated by finding the total length of the strips on a ship.

Or just pulled out of a hat.

By the way might there be room for one more person who might not be able to post reliably?
well, we still need to pull these weapons from somewhere. The cardasian phaser, and the type 7 phasers are the only weapons to come into question then. After searching through half of the federation ships, the Mirandas were the first one to have type 7 phasers that I found, but they don't have arrays like modern ships. Even the new CGI models didn't have strips. The cardassian phaser's power is still going to be a total mystery.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

You'll probably just have to estimate the power from the Cardassian Phaser bank. Take into consideration that in the 'Sacrifice of angels' episode a single phaser blast that i estimate to come from the main weapon blasted a huge hole in the saucer section of a Miranda (Sitak or Majestic).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

But probably couldn't do quite the same to a more modern ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Deepcrush wrote:You could always be the cook. :lol:
No, that wouldn't be fair to everybody else. As you know from movies the cook is always a special agent. :P

Anyway I'd think maybe

10k on the cardie bank
1500 from 8xMark 7's
and just because 750 from each side bank. Has a balanced feel.

If I understand the flavor right maybe have a mix of different races torpedo technology. So we can fire what we get our hands on? Maybe a federation Type 2 and a lingon triple fire (I'd guess Klingons would sell out their tech a bit more) for the forward arcs and a pair of Model 2 cardie launchers in the back? Or mix them around as desired.

Using Blackstars numbers for the rest of the ship would give us.
755 strength. Though personally I think it would be more fun to have added a number of extra impulse engines to up our maneuverability to 6000, which oddly enough only ups our strength to 763. But I think that would make sense for a smuggling/raiding ship.

I think that's a fair strength value because it's comfortably higher than the strength of ships commonly used for anti pirate stuff. Like Steamrunners. But not quite up there with the Galaxies.

However we'd be deceptively strong since we'd have a very solid opening volly if we used torps. But still would try to avoid Steamrunners since we wouldn't want to burn through our precious torpedo supplies.

Just my 2 cents.

Out of curiosity do we have a reason why we can go so fast at warp? I could see why that would be a high priority of course, our career would be short lived if we couldn't outrun most ships.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I like the beam weapons, but the torpedo tubes should all be the same, that way we don't have to worry about keeping them all supplied.

As for the high warp speed, I did pick up a thing or two from an expert in my universe of origin, and with the more advanced technology of the UFP, I could probably get her to outrun the Prometheus if necessary. However I don't want her to be too noticable, and that kind of speed would raise some eyebrows.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Standardising the torp tubes is the best idea. The last thing we need is to be looking for seperate spare parts for each launcher, and having to buy three sets of torps for each launcher. Though I do like the idea of a mix 'n' match set of weapons. Maybe the rear launcher could be a different type to the other two, due to being added in later?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Well if you want to keep them the same which type would be most availible?
(Actually probably Ferengi, could they be considered to be knocking off Federation torps since their weapons are listed as "equivalent to" starfleet models).

Also for launchers it would seem to be easier to scrape together a cluster of standard type tubes than get high end burst type tubes. However from an RP point of view I like the heavy hit but low point cost due to reload times of the Klingon triple fire. Eh your origional type 2's give that feel too.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Rochey wrote: We've also managed to stay away from Mary-Sue type characters, so far, which is pretty nice.
ChakatBlackstar wrote: I did pick up a thing or two from an expert in my universe of origin, and with the more advanced technology of the UFP, I could probably get her to outrun the Prometheus if necessary.
:?:

EDIT: The above isn't meant to seem confrontational. It is a freeform game led by Blackstar after all. I was just surprised, and though it was a little funny.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I like Rochey's idea. Many older sailing vessels would improvise an aft weapon system when being chased. The aft launcher would probably be added since it would help discourage pursuit.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

sunnyside wrote:
Rochey wrote: We've also managed to stay away from Mary-Sue type characters, so far, which is pretty nice.
ChakatBlackstar wrote: I did pick up a thing or two from an expert in my universe of origin, and with the more advanced technology of the UFP, I could probably get her to outrun the Prometheus if necessary.
:?:

EDIT: The above isn't meant to seem confrontational. It is a freeform game led by Blackstar after all. I was just surprised, and though it was a little funny.
I'm not sure what you mean.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I meant "thought" not "though".

Otherwise don't worry about it.