New RPG discussion.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thanks, Graham. :)

As for a name, no idea.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Naming has never been my strongsuit. Most of the time I just stumble across it or it just hits me.

How about Starduster?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You could always name it after somone/something in your character's original universe, which, if I remember correctly, you've written some stories about. A lot of ships were actualy named after people and places, historicaly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, there's the Folly, but there doesn't seem to be anything folly about this ship. Flying Corncob and Pogo Stick don't fit...There's the Twin Tails. Naming it after an admiral or any name doesn't seem right given that it's a smaller frieghter ship. The Montgomery Scott is a nice name, but it has a bad history. There's the Mystic and Twilight Star, Twilight Maru, and the Midnight Star, from my own story. Any opinions?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like El Gallo Vuelo.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

The flying rooster? Or do you intend that to be translated differently..?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I imagined it more like "the soaring chicken," but you got the idea. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, that's certainly a.....unique name. :lol:
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Mikey wrote:I like El Gallo Vuelo.
Ayeeeee, El Pollo Diablo!

You could allways name it after a place, or a famous battle. *Shrugs* There are some really interesting place names sometimes... Though, Hfnarflavic or Ville Cent-Deux doesnt really have the same ring as The Normandy >.> (Lol, those are real places ive been to)

Whirling Dervish?
Last edited by Jabber Swarky on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

There's a place in France called La Pussie... :roll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm sure it means something quite different to them, Reliant. :wink:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Oh it does...um...i cant remember what Stephen Fry said it meant...but i thought I'd add some Doubl Entendre (if thats how its spellt).
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Mikey wrote:I imagined it more like "the soaring chicken," but you got the idea. :lol:
You probably ought to have used 'pollo', then. 'Gallo' translates specifically to rooster. Or cock. Which puts a whole new spin on your proposed name.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, Spanish certainly isn't my cradle tongue, but I was under the impression that "pollo" refers to chicken as food, while "gallo" refers to it as the animal.

Doesn't really matter. Isn't El Gallo Vuelo a misleadingly sexy-sounding name for what it actually means?

And if you need a place name with a double entendre, how about Intercourse, PA.?
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Mikey wrote:Well, Spanish certainly isn't my cradle tongue, but I was under the impression that "pollo" refers to chicken as food, while "gallo" refers to it as the animal.

Doesn't really matter. Isn't El Gallo Vuelo a misleadingly sexy-sounding name for what it actually means?

And if you need a place name with a double entendre, how about Intercourse, PA.?
It isn't mine, either. I have the equivalent of one year of high school spanish. I'm pretty sure what I said is true, but it's only from research through online translation tools.

Now that I think about it, I think 'vuelo' is an incorrect conjugation of the verb. I think you've got the first person present indicative there. As in, 'The Rooster Fly'. I don't have a spanish 501 verbs, sadly, but I think volante or something similar to that is right. I see that babelfish and google's translation tools disagree with me, but they also disagree with each other. I don't know, my specialty is french.