Hatchet Render

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hatchet Render

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Been busy lately, so not much time for blender fun. But I've been working on this and it's finally ready. One or two little flaws in the model, but it's come out quite nicely. This is a Hatchet class heavy cruiser, another contemporary of the Kororra class.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hatchet Render

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So after learning some stuff about smoothing surfaces for the fighters, I've been going back and smoothing out some of the more obviously faceted surfaces on the warships. The down side of this kind of thing is that it increases the number of facets on the model, which increases rendering time. The changes here aren't too bad in that respect, about a 10% increase in the number of faces. This model has 1.77 million points making 1.03 million faces. Rendering a single frame takes about eight minutes on my ye olde iMac (2009 vintage 2 core intel 2.93 GHz).

Before smoothing :

After :

Before smoothing :

After :

Before smoothing :

After :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wow. Totes worth it. BTW, love the shadows of the gun barrels... nice touch.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Heh, thanks but there's not much credit to me on the shadow front really. I light all the ships by sticking a bunch of big flat glowing panels around them, and the shadows fall where they will - blender just fills them in when you render the pic.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Second animation attempt. This was somewhat fiddly - the hard part was making the beams appear and disappear. Took 2 or 3 hours of messing about getting it to work, and then about three hours to render.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So the turret barrels fire in sets of two? Are they separated too? Kinda like three sets of twin turrets merged together?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:So the turret barrels fire in sets of two? Are they separated too? Kinda like three sets of twin turrets merged together?
They are AMP weapons - Antimatter/Matter Particle weapons. A single weapon comprises two cannon, one firing a matter beam and one an antimatter beam, with the beams set to converge on the target. Thus each turret has three cannon, with each cannon having two barrels.

I'm currently rendering an updated version of this scene... should be ready by tomorrow.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

What happens if the antimatter beam comes into contact with very small amounts of matter like dust?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Then the very small amounts of matter would go POP, just like any other matter that was hit by antimatter.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Those pops would be nuclear level explosions though.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Those pops would be nuclear level explosions though.
Not at the densities of interstellar space they wouldn't - we're talking about micrograms, if that, so it would be no bigger than a normal artillery round.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Improved video :

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Now with added ship movement and a torpedo salvo.

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Now with added ship movement and a torpedo salvo.

Very cool but the scanner on the bottom isn't moving :)
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Um, it's down for maintanence. :)

The problem with doing this is that every time you think "well I'll change that slightly", it's another six or seven hours of rendering to try again. I need a supercomputer, dammit!