Anyone care about Windows 9

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Anyone care about Windows 9

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The next version of Windows would seem to be close regardless of the poor reception to the interface changes in 8. The whole industry seems to be moving towards more frequent, smaller updates. Apple is pushing out a new Mac OSX every year now, and Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are both on 6-week update cycles.

There's a rumor a free preview will be out within a month and the official release in Spring '15 though Microsoft has yet to publicly confirm it. The scuttlebutt has the next Windows (whatever it's called) to partially roll back the changes on traditional desktops and laptops, though there's also been talk that Windows will change it's behavior depending on the type of system it is installed on. Tablets will have an updated version of the "new" start screen, while desktops will return to a more Windows desktop centered mode of operation.

- There is a lot of speculation about a return of a start menu, to be reconfigured into a 'hybrid' of sorts featuring elements of the 8 start screen and apps.

- The new app style will remain, but be given the ability to run in desktop windows (8.1 update already gave them the ability to be pinned to taskbar and have a menu bar to minimize/close with a mouse)

- There may be a new notification center, and virtual desktop support

- OneDrive (Microsoft cloud storage) and Bing support will continue to be tied in closely

- Cortana (Microsoft digital assistant and equivalent of Siri/Google Now) may reside in an integrated app in Windows 9
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone care about Windows 9

Post by McAvoy »

I am sticking with Windows 7 until they get rid of the app bullshit that is in Windows 8
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

McAvoy wrote:I am sticking with Windows 7 until they get rid of the app bullshit that is in Windows 8
Well they are, and aren't. On desktops the start screen may be disabled by default. New style apps will still exist, but have the option to work more like regular desktop programs on the desktop.

* there are technical advantages to the new style apps over older desktop programs, from a programming perspective. There are security benefits, and it''s easier for Windows to manage some aspects of their behavior to optimize performance.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I have windows 7, I have used computer with 8, and It is exceptionally fucking annoying. Stupid idea to have a cross platform OS.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Teaos wrote:I have windows 7, I have used computer with 8, and It is exceptionally fucking annoying. Stupid idea to have a cross platform OS.
It does seem MS got that message. 8.1 moved to make things more familiar and the next major version is rumored to make some moves to better integrate the new tech into a traditional desktop environment.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I have windows 7, I have used computer with 8, and It is exceptionally fucking annoying. Stupid idea to have a cross platform OS.
I got Windows 7 Ultimate and I love it. That is what Windows 9 should be. It should be a bare basic Windows that you can add stuff to if you want for a custom appearance. Not filled with bloatware and app bullshit.

Also my parents Windows 8 slows down the computer to the point it is useless half of the time.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

McAvoy wrote:
I got Windows 7 Ultimate and I love it. That is what Windows 9 should be. It should be a bare basic Windows that you can add stuff to if you want for a custom appearance. Not filled with bloatware and app bullshit.

Also my parents Windows 8 slows down the computer to the point it is useless half of the time.
A fresh install of 8 (or 8.1) isn't slower than 7 at all. Actually MS has put a lot of work into optimizing it to run on low-power systems (because they want to push it as a tablet OS). If that PC is slow, it may be due to poor hardware specs and/or malware.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My parents computer is running at 92% processor capacity on average. While I have no doubt the computer is shit, but Windows 8 isn't helping it.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

McAvoy wrote:My parents computer is running at 92% processor capacity on average. While I have no doubt the computer is shit, but Windows 8 isn't helping it.
Yeah, Windows 8 does not do that by itself any more than Windows 7 does. I've seen dozens of installs of 8 on different hardware, and come away impressed with how well it runs. There is something on that computer that shouldn't be. Doing a system recovery should resolve it.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Find myself more and more irritated with the windows 8 hating. Yes, the app menu is not always particularly helpful but it is so easily ignored by pressing the magical thing called the start menu key. Done, you're back to the desktop. Every PC I have owned has run even better with windows 8 installed right down from a recently expired Acer Ferrari with those tiny little 1ghz quad cores all the way up to the living room gaming powerhouse. And, as it happens, if you give the app thing a chance some of them are actually quite useful. I always use the Netflix app now rather than the web page; same with things like weather apps. I use the Amazon app a lot more as well, though some account functions you do still need to go into the browser.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:Find myself more and more irritated with the windows 8 hating. Yes, the app menu is not always particularly helpful but it is so easily ignored by pressing the magical thing called the start menu key. Done, you're back to the desktop. Every PC I have owned has run even better with windows 8 installed right down from a recently expired Acer Ferrari with those tiny little 1ghz quad cores all the way up to the living room gaming powerhouse. And, as it happens, if you give the app thing a chance some of them are actually quite useful. I always use the Netflix app now rather than the web page; same with things like weather apps. I use the Amazon app a lot more as well, though some account functions you do still need to go into the browser.
I'm not thrown off either but it seems many are, even when they figure out how to get around it. In any case 9 is rumored to add more good stuff aside from just making stuff more familiar to common users.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It seems to me, and I don't mean this to be deliberately offensive, that it's gratuitous resistance because it's different and requires a minimal amount of rethinking. Those that are happy to rethink and relearn the way they use computers have probably already buggered off to Mac-land leaving many who prefer windows simply because they know it. Alas, this also means an inherent resistance to any form of change.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:It seems to me, and I don't mean this to be deliberately offensive, that it's gratuitous resistance because it's different and requires a minimal amount of rethinking. Those that are happy to rethink and relearn the way they use computers have probably already buggered off to Mac-land leaving many who prefer windows simply because they know it. Alas, this also means an inherent resistance to any form of change.
I don't mean to be anti-apple (or progress) but based on Mac market share, there wouldn't seem to be too many among us who are so adaptable then. :P
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

My heart bleeds :wink:

EDIT: I meant that as a stab at Macs.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." school of thought.

I'm aware that that doesn't sell new OS..es to people, but I'm not a capitalist, and I don't care for the model.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939