What If - STIV

The Original Series
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

The probe may decide to hang around after its "survey" of Earth to try and figure out what happened to its buddies and may even decide to try other worlds they visited in the past. Surely it would be in the best interests of the other powers to help the Federation get the alien probe moving again and get the hell away from the core of their empires,
I could imagine the likes of section31 trying to trick the probe to go have a look at the invading powers (Romies, Klingons whoever) by perhaps sending a false message from their space. It wouldn't have to be a fully intelligent message from Whales just enough to attract the attention of the probe long enough to leave Fed space and have a look at Romulus say. Not a perfect plan I'll admit but in a situation like we're thinking about any chance of protecting the Federation from further attack would be welcome.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think the "devastation" they talk about might be more political/economic, etc. I mean, there are 150 member planets in the UFP... I mean, we know the Federation's population is a trillion plus; we don't know Earth's population though. A common figure in 9 billion, but that was the Borg population in an alternate timeline, nothing to say the real Earth has that many Humans.

But what the hell, go with 9 billion. That means Earth has something like 1% of the Federation population, tops. Seems insignificant.

But consider... the US has a population of 300 million. What if 3 million people died in an attack tomorrow? And imagine it was a nuclear strike to Washington that did it, whilst taking out the President, Supreme Court, and the bulk of the Congress and Senate?

Think of what 9/11 did... we're talking a thousand times that in lives, far more still in effect on the government. And perhaps even more important, shock value. 9/11 was, frankly, insignificant in terms of physical damage or lives lost. For most countries in WWII it would have counted as a damn good day if that was all that happened. But coming in peacetime, to a population unused to such things, out of the blue like that... it shocked the hell out of them.

Now that times a thousand... would it end the UFP? Nah, probably not. But it would sure rock them back for a while. And if I were the Romulans or Tholians or whoever, I'd be tempted...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yes the biggest problem would be the instability caused by it. People would be fighting for top spot. There would be splinter fractions and maybe members would leave out of fear of them being next. Also the entire Federation may split into several bloaks drastically weakening it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It'd be devastating for the Federation, no doubt. I think they can still recover, though. This is TOS Fed, after all.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Think of it like this. Most of the starfleet is human. It would be like the UN or NATO lossing the USA.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Minnsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Minnsky »

A few factors i see missed, dose kirk make it back at all?
If he dose he instantly has control over most issues. He is known VERY well.
Com lines are still open to him, he could take control
His accention to UFP command would mark doom to the Klingon empire.
A quick strike force to take out border instillations would be unexpected and the Klingons would be moving in to retaliate giving the romulans time to move in for the kill. This of course would back fire on the Romulans when Praksis blows up putting there new land out of recourses and giving the federation time to take over.

ON the other hand if Kirk dosnt make it Praksis is the key. no matter what it will blow. With out kirk and a dead earth a full blown fleet would go to make peace hampering the plot to kill off the emporior. a the Federation Empire would be born. Rommies would be screwed.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Think of it like this. Most of the starfleet is human. It would be like the UN or NATO lossing the USA.
No all of starfleet we've seen is mostly human. But then most of the ships we see are based around the area of sol. There may very well be a vast majority of other species dominating starfleet in different areas.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

well every member world has its own independet goverment, so on local level the gowerment wouldn't break down. Each goverment probably has more than one representitv in the federation concil and can easly send a replecement. So there should not be a problem to orgonize a goverment on a diffrent planet. And if the central command is destroyed there are local comanders that organize your army.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

mlsnoopy wrote:Well, every member world has its own independent government, so on local level the government wouldn't break down. Each government probably has more than one representative in the federation council and can easily send a replacement. So there should not be a problem to organize a government on a different planet. And if the central command is destroyed there are local commanders that organize your army.
It is not nearly so simple. Where does the new federation council convene? Who decides that? I am willing to bet that in 150 worlds you can find two that will always be on opposing sides and be all bitter at each other and make a fight out of it.

Anyway, the travel lag times would be nasty, no doubt. And whatever planet is chosen, someone else will feel slighted by it. It really doesn't take much.

As for the 'local commanders', aside from the loss of institutional experience, you'd better hope no one has any seniority disputes up at the top. Starfleet's full records were on Earth, too. Though I suppose it would be reasonable for starships to all have a catalog of flag officers profiled in the main computers, that would not stop plain ambition.

Anyway, God help us if the senior officer remaining is someone who was high-ranking because of age and past political affiliations, and had been shuffled off to the least prestigious possible post to get him out of the way. Or if two officers claim seniority over each other, without Starfleet command to say who is in clear command.

I suppose the point is, it would degenerate to the local levels without too much fuss, but re-establishing the central government would be nowhere near so easy.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

I allway fellt that Vulcan is the second world in line. Being one of the faunding members, the conflict with Andorians is long over so there should not be any problems.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

mlsnoopy wrote:there are local comanders that organize your army.
"The governors will control the local systems directly..."

I'm sure someone can correct me if I fouled up that quote.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"Fear will keep the people in time, now. Fear of this battlestation."

Yeah, you got the quote right. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

BTW - I was entering my RPG post late last night, and only a monumental force of will kept me from writing, "I find your lack of faith... disturbing."
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Building on these last few posts and someone's earlier suggestion that Jim Kirk could provide central focus...

Long Live Emperor Tiberius I!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

AKA Darth Kirk, Dark Lord of the misogynistic sexaholics. :twisted:
as Bull offed Custer