Color War Set Up

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Color War Set Up

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So I've randomly assigned each player to the Blue, Green, or Red Faction; hence the name Color War. This first iteration of the game is going to be fairly limited, but will lay the groundwork for more sophisticated systems such as a WWII simulation, or Dominion War, or anything else. So first up: the not at all official somewhat Hodge-podged rules:

The Turn

The Turn consists of essentially two phases, but you should really think of it as a turn and a "OH HOLY CRAP RUN!" phase. The first phase is essentially your turn: you take care of any and all diplomacy, fleet orders, construction/conscription orders here. The second phase is essentially for fleets that are attacked, they're commanders will be given the gut check reaction: fight or run.

Similar to the SIM games, each turn will finish with a SITREP listing the developments that happened that turn...at least the ones you know about.

The Map

Assuming I did that correctly, the above image is the map we will be using. Some important things to point out. there are 15 planets colored: 5 red, 5 green, 5 blue. These are the planets that belong to the Red, Green, and Blue alliances respectively. The rest of the planets you don't know their alignment directly. You will know which ones are friendly to you, but as for which ones are neutral and which ones hostile (more on what this means later).

Also note the lanes connecting the planets. To simplify matters from arbitrary movement these are the lanes a ship must go through to move. Each line represents a 1 endurance jump. Fleets have endurance based on their highest ships endurance. (so anything with a Battleship has an endurance of 4.)

The Planets

So all 40 planets have a political affiliation or alignment, they produce a certain amount of food, a certain amount of medical supplies, and have certain military assets on them. What does this mean:

A planets political stats will be one of five things: Allied, Friendly, Neutral, Hostile, or Enemy. Allied planets are yours, part of your empire, alliance w/e, they're not going anywhere unless the enemy takes them. Enemy planets are planets that are part of your enemies alliance. Friendly planets are planets that aren't willing to declare themselves as 100% part of your empire, but they're invested in your victory. Thus you can often use their excess supplies or even military assets. Hostile planets are those friendly to your enemy. Neutral planets are just that. They have taken no sides. They aren't interested in helping you, but as long as they can stay neutral have no interest in hurting you either. Note that status' of planets can and will change. surface fighting has a way of disheartening a population, and helping a planet in need can endear you to them.

Planets have a net food production value and medical supply production value. You will need both to wage your war. First priority is to make sure all the planets under your control have enough food and medical supplies to survive. Next you will need food for your fleets and armies, medical supplies for your wounded, and then supplies for the production of your units.

Lastly are military assets: these are the shipyards, droid factories, cloning facilities, and training grounds. These are the only locations you can build your fleets and armies. There is no producing new assets; you can however destroy them on any planet you own or occupy.

Supplies

As I mentioned you would need those supplies to wage your war. Every Fleet, Clone, and conscripted army requires 1 food per turn (droid units do not). When engaged in battle Fleets, Clones, and conscripted armies also require 1 medical supply (droids are again immune).

Training Grounds, and Cloning Facilities require 1 food every turn they're active. Droid Facilities require 1 Medical Supply every turn they're active. Shipyards require 1 of each every turn they're active.

Supply lines must be maintained to these facilities to your resource supplies. All this means is an unobstructed path along the jump lines. If a fleet moves into your path and there's no other way around, you could see supplies halt. If an enemy takes, or turns a planet in your supply line, you'll definitely see them halt.

Units without food or medical supplies will see their battle performance decline, and experience more casualties as wounded will not be capable of surviving. Production facilities without supplies will simply fail to produce units.

Units and Production

Speaking of Units there are 10 types total in the game. 5 space, and 5 land:

Space: (Units produced/turn, mass, firepower, endurance, troop capacity)
Battleship: 1, 3, 7, 4, 100
Battle Cruiser: 3, 1, 2, 3, 100
Frigate: 6, 0.5, 1, 1, 50
Destroyer: 9, 0.25, 1, 1, 20
Corvette: 12, 0.125, 0.5, 1, 10

Ground: (units/turn, damage, firepower)
Heavy Armor: 5,6,9
Armor: 15,2,2
Heavy Infantry: 15,2,1.5
Infantry: 30,1,1
Light Infantry: 60,0.05,1

Each facility can only produce certain unit types at any time, but all can only produce 1 unit type per turn (at it's listed units/turn rate). Thus it will take multiple turns to create a whole fleet/army.

Shipyards can only produce Space Units
Training Grounds can only produce Heavy Infantry, Infantry, and Light Infantry. These are conscripted soldiers.
Cloning Facilities can produce all Ground Units. These are cloned soldiers.
Droid Factories can produce all Ground Units. These are droid units.

A note about droid units. Although they require no resources. They will experience higher casualty rates than other classes.

Warfare

Battles commence automatically when two enemy units occupy the same space. Depending on the size and attributes of the units involved combat could take any number of turns. Players will not have direct control over the units in the field but will receive updates about ongoing battles and have the ability to issue stretegic commands to their units in guiding fashion.

Space battles will always precede ground engagements, as it is required to control the space over a planet before ground troops may be landed.

Battle Simulation will be done by a program I have written. If anyone would like to see this code they need only ask me. It was written in Mathematica so you will know what to expect.

The just of the code is this:
Every fleet, and army is tracked by a 4x5 matrix listing the number of healthy, and 3 increasing levels of damage for each class of ship. The total firepower and total defense are found by dotting these matrices into the firepower or defense vector. Average values for each fleet are also found.

The program then finds the ideal minimum number of average ships needed to kill one average enemy, and the ideal maximum number of ships that could be killed in a single turn. Then introduces probability functions that will modify the number of ships that hit, introduce disunity in the efficiency of firing (more ships firing at one target than are needed, and less at another). It will then calculate the number of damaged ships based upon these probability functions, and then by proportion deals out kills and damage to ships based on their relative abundance in the enemy fleet.

The end result is another 4x5 matrix listing the new number of ships of each class at each level of health. This program has only been tested at a basic level, and thus may require some debugging, and or revision. The construction of this program is the primary mission of this game as this program will form the backbone of any future SIMS.

Set Up

Sonic = Blue Faction
Stitch = Green Faction
Spocky = Red Faction

I will email you your first SITREP once I receive your emails.

Here is a list of all systems, the net food hey produce, the net medical supplies, and any facilities they have.

World Net Food Net Medicine Facility 1 Facility 2
1 2 0
2 2 2
3 2 0 Cloning
4 3 1 Training
5 1 0 Training
6 1 1
7 3 0 Shipyard Training
8 1 1
9 -1 1 Cloning
10 3 -1 Droid
11 -1 1 Droid
12 -1 -1
13 0 -1 Cloning
14 1 2
15 2 2 Cloning
16 0 0 Cloning
17 0 0 Shipyard Droid
18 0 1 Training Shipyard
19 3 1 Cloning
20 -1 0 Shipyard Cloning
21 2 -1 Training
22 1 -1
23 1 0 Training
24 2 -1
25 3 1 Droid
26 1 2 Shipyard
27 0 -1 Shipyard Training
28 3 0 Droid
29 -1 0
30 3 2 Droid
31 -1 0
32 2 0 Droid
33 3 2 Training
34 -1 0 Shipyards
35 3 1 Droid
36 -1 0
37 3 0 Training
38 2 2 Cloning
39 3 1 Training
40 1 0
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Color War Set Up

Post by Lt. Staplic »

SITREPs wen't out. Let me know if you didn't get one.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

I gt my status report.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Got the SITREP. Would it also be possible to include a high-res (or simply decent) copy of the map in an email so we have one to refer to ourselves rather than constantly checking back for the thread, similar to what was done in the Trek sims?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Sent one. Unlike the SIM i'm not going to continually update it, so each of you will have to figure out a way to mark stuff on there as you learn it/it changes.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Got it. Will be reviewing it and figuring things out tonight.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Alright, I'm assuming you guys don't have many questions since I've not heard from you so far. If you do have any questions feel free to post them or send them to me. Otherwise let's look to get your first round of orders in to me this weekend.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Just to make sure, there is no diplomacy in this one yes? Just position your forces to beat the other guy
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

There's no inter-player diplomacy. There's a very weak diplomacy format for the non-aligned planets trying to convince them to be on your side or to at least not be on your opponents, but that is mostly just important for supply lines and all of that is handled with me.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So I'm not sure what's going on, but I haven't received anything from anyone. I don't know if you guys are lost trying to plan your moves, unable to decipher the rules, or just don't have time...
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

For me, 1, 2, and a tiny bit of 3. I was kinda hoping someone else would say they couldn't understand before me, so I wouldn't look as much of a idiot.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Mostly 1... I'm almost not even sure what to ask to make more sense of things...

Like, do we just send you where we want to go and what route we want to take over the planets?

Also are we able to rearrange our fleets or are they pretty much set?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

As one of my old teachers used to say: the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

so to answer the questions:

yes your orders will be of the form:

move army x into fleet y. move fleet y to planet z. (optional: by route of planet a, b, c, d, ...). offload troops on planet z.

Essentially. What fleets you want to move where. Any armies that need to get moved around, and if you want to be specific about it what path you want them to take. by default I'll move them along the shortest/inner-most path.

You may re-arrange fleets. but you have to move them all to the same location and then you can move them out separately. For example:

move fleet 1 and 2 to system x.

New fleet 1: ******************************************************************************

New fleet 2: &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

move fleet 1 to system j.

Same thing with armies. They have to be on the same planet or same ship.