Original Connie: Where are the PTLs?

The Original Series
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Original Connie: Where are the PTLs?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I haven't seen every episode of TOS, so I can't be sure that we've never seen the original Enterprise fire torps, but her nearly featureless hull certainly doesn't appear to have any visible torpedo launcher ports on her surface. We knew they had matter/antimatter torps since they had them in Enterprise, set years prior.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They fired them from the saucer.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

There are no details on the original model, but they appeared to be launched from near the bottom of the saucer, like the phasers, but from the bad angle, it could've been from the neck area too.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Phasers were fired from the underside of the saucer and the PTs were fired from the front of the saucer.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

In what episode(s) did she fire torps? I don't remember this (Kirk did seem to rely on phasers more than later Trek would)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I don't remember but it happened on certain occasions. Very rarely seen on screen. Must of had a more limited or harder to replace compliment then later classes.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's a pic of the E-nil firing torps at the top of my M5 battle page.

http://www.ditl.org/index.php?daybody=/picbattle.php?5

You don't quite get the point of origin, but you can see it's coming from down right near or on the lower sensor dome.

The third from bottom pic on the Ent Mirror battle page shows exactly where it's fired from :

http://www.ditl.org/index.php?daybody=/picbattle.php?35
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Perfect cap of the Connie-class Defiant, GK. It seems to indicate clearly the collar around the sensor dome as the origination for the torps.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

To be honest, I wish they had put a couple of visible spots on the saucer for phasers and photons to fire out of. I tried to pin down exactly where the weapons fired from once in TOS and gave up when I got to something like twenty different origin points for the beams. This is one instance where I would have been more than willing to accept a little modification of the Connie design to make it more practical.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

When in the RW was the Photon Torpedo invented? In the "The Enemy Below" style episode, (I forget what it is called, with the Romulan War Bird) the Enterprise fires it's phasers like bursting depth charges, suggesting Gene hadn't thought of PTs yet, and therefore the model had been designed with no provision for torpedo tubes.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

In the "The Enemy Below" style episode, (I forget what it is called, with the Romulan War Bird) the Enterprise fires it's phasers like bursting depth charges
You may be referring to "Balance of Terror" - that was one of the earliest episodes of Trek in the first season.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Yeah, that's the one. One of the best.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

No, no photons in Balance of Terror. They used phasers set to proximity detonation. Quite how you do that I have no idea, but that's what they said.

Photons were first used in Arena.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

GrahamKennedy wrote:No, no photons in Balance of Terror. They used phasers set to proximity detonation. Quite how you do that I have no idea, but that's what they said.

Photons were first used in Arena.
The same way you have phasers carry Nanobots to your enemy, would be my guess.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham, some beautiful screenshots from ENT, there. :shock: