Gaming Wars

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Gaming Wars

Post by Teaos »

I'm not a consol gamer, but I am taking great pleasure in seeing the Xbone fail. With poor sales and shocking reviews, the only good review are for it as a entertainment system not a gaming consol, the Xbone has officially lost this round.

Serves the fuckers right for trying to force restrictive, boarder line illegal measures on its customers.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Gaming Wars

Post by Atekimogus »

Since I am a glorious Pc master-race gamer I couldn't care less, HOWEVER, I too am pretty much quite pleased to see this.

Gaming became so restrictive it is unbelievable. A fucking computer game for 50 bucks and you have to jump through hoops only to play it and now they also check if it is really YOU that is playing and not some friend of you who might not have bought their shitty games?

Nah....they are completely out of their mind and when all is said and done, consoles should be dead already, they already are more or less streamlined PCs, it is high time they merge together and be done with it. If there weren't for gaming companies who make games EXCLUSIVLY for PS4 or Xbox, noone would buy them anyway since there never is or was a reason why those games should not run on PCs also, and run even better on them as on 5 year old consules cobbled together with old PC components.

Seriously, just make a keyboard and a mouse-port for an xbox, let it run office and what exatly is the difference? That they still manage to differentiate between consules and Pcs just show what crooks they are...(and also how...well, let's say uninformed instead of stupid, their customers are, who by and large buy this shit).
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Consols will last awhile yet, people enjoy the "it just works" aspect of popping in a CD and playing.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Teaos wrote:Consols will last awhile yet, people enjoy the "it just works" aspect of popping in a CD and playing.
While certainly true, this is in no way how it works in reality nowadays. I cannot remember which game I really had to configure to play on my PC, they are pretty much just popping in the DVD, install them or download them and just play.

Likewise, consoles are not that simple anymore, most of the time you need internet-connection and most games install files on the console or need to be updated and patched, just like PC games. (I remember a friend of mine - also a PC gamer - bought himself a Xbox 360. It took about two hours before one could actually play with all the updates, account verifications, windows live and whatnot.....ridiculous.)

As I said, personally I don't see any "real" difference anymore, it is all "in the head" or more precisly it is strongly advertised by the gaming mafia that their new "multimedia entertainment center, able to play movies and stream tv and let's you download stuff".............actually exists already.

It is called a PC. That's why I don't understand the XBox One as a concept. All the new stuff they advertise (other than the kinect stuff) I am already doing for years on my PC. What's the point, I ask?

(I mean have you seen a few demos how it works. Hey, you are on a sort of desktop and you can switch from playing a game to watching a movie or going online and buying a game which you can download all with the push of a button. Soooo? On the PC it is called a taskbar and was there since.......I don't know......Windows 95?...... I mean WTF? Am I supposed to be impressed by that?)
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I prescribe to the PS3/PS4 because it isn't simply a games console, its a very convenient way to do everything. I grant it does do everything that PC's have done for years but things such as netflix and blu-ray play black are all preloaded on those consoles and its all easy said and done. Plus i dont have to pay for internet connections to make it work. It is certainly possible to get a computer with equal gaming capability of the new uberconsoles but you'd be spending many times as much money, especially in the PS4's case. The Xbox One is more limited, as the standard Xbox 360 is, and is more expensive to boot. Madness.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The sales figures are enjoyable to look at, PS4 did more in Japan than Xbone did world wide in the first week.

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Reliant121 wrote:I prescribe to the PS3/PS4 because it isn't simply a games console, its a very convenient way to do everything. I grant it does do everything that PC's have done for years but things such as netflix and blu-ray play black are all preloaded on those consoles and its all easy said and done.
I am intrigued. Now I don't have a PS4, for example, but how is it even EASIER to use than a PC? I mean everything you can do on PCs with regards to entertainment is pretty much fool-proof already. The way I see it the only thing making PCs complexer is that they offer a freedom of choice as to what programme/software/company you want to use......is THAT really the issue here?

And while it might be nice to be able to everything with a joypad, that convinience flys out the window as soon as you need to register an account or any kind of activity that has you type a few words.

Now I have nothing against consoles, I had them myself right up to .....the SNES. Than I switched to PC and ever since consoles became obsolete imho. Sure, I missed a lot of good games, but then I also played plenty that were not available on any console. Today, I rather loathe that some good games are only available on console for no technical reason at all.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Fair points. I have a blu-ray compatible drive on my desktop computer that I have yet to find a piece of software that runs blu-ray discs properly. Either they crash, they don't load, it simply doesn't work at all. PS3, pop the disc in, done. As for games, there are a great variety of games that while they function on computers they have issues installing, AV software interferes and therefore has to be disabled then renabled and half of them have account services attached to them anyway (UBIsoft for example). I have had no luck with account servicing on both pc AND Ps3 and they are equally guilty. PC's can do everything, no question. Not always out of the box however where as a PS3 can. SUre it might have to download an update. But it does that and then it's done; in contrast a PC might have to do a myriad of its own updates, then the game updates, yadda yadda yadda. In simple terms the PS3 does all the thinking for you.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

My Mac plays Blu Ray's perfectly, how else do you think we manage to take snaps from the episodes :)
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The funny thing is that your average LCD TV is just a more built up monitor. How many of us connects their computer to their TV?

Basically it may come down to that point where consoles, desperate media players like DVDs, CD and Blu Ray players will be merged into one along with a TV cable box to run that TV. Or it would make sense to do so.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

IanKennedy wrote:My Mac plays Blu Ray's perfectly, how else do you think we manage to take snaps from the episodes :)
I always assumed you took pictures of the TV screen with an old beat-up Kodak...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:My Mac plays Blu Ray's perfectly, how else do you think we manage to take snaps from the episodes :)
I always assumed you took pictures of the TV screen with an old beat-up Kodak...
I thought he scanned his TV on his scanner.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Damn, you saw right through me.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I thought he used carbon paper, myself. ;)

As for this whole gaming thing... I got no real input. I haven't bought a system since the Gamecube, and I only got that because of the CAW feature for the wresting games.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Reliant121 wrote: It is certainly possible to get a computer with equal gaming capability of the new uberconsoles but you'd be spending many times as much money, especially in the PS4's case.
Actually no, you can build a gaming that's better than a PS4 for $500. Once you factor in the cost of multiplayer (free for the Glorious PC Master Race) which is $60 a year, the real cost of the PS4 is about $700 over five years which is the minimum this generation will last. With $700 your gaming PC will annihilate a PS4. I mean road kill levels of destroy. Now, this presumes that you reuse your existing PC's operating system and are ok getting by sans DVD drive.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gyXr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gyXr/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($275.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $654.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-10 13:20 EST-0500)
You can afford an optical drive if you want it and still come in under $700. Actually I think you can get a BR Drive and still come in under the limit. If you want to go to the Bone's true cost you can slip in an SSD and bump the processor up to an octo-core or leave the processor as is and get a 3GB R9 280X at which point you're at "LoL Consoles" level of performance while still at console levels of cost.

Yeah, console gaming is more expensive than PC gaming. You're paying more for less.