What next?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What next?

Post by Atekimogus »

McAvoy wrote:Problem is that it can't feel like an episode and has to be an epic summer blockbuster film. It is certainly possible to make a smart film and be action based. Maybe a Dark Knight ewuivilant equivalent for Star Trek.

Maybe a toning down of certain elements in the last two films that has made it annoying to people.
Noooooooooooo. Why on earth has everything be so grim-dark. Heck, Star Trek is supposed one of the more utopian sci-fi universes there is, you know the appeal was always it's a universe I really would love to life in. (As opposed to say, being a subject of the Emprah in WH40K)

And all people can think of is rehashing old villains, destroying planets and going to war with the klingons/tholians etc...ENOUGH already.

What I loved most about Star Trek Into the Darkness was the intro (no matter how stupid it was to sink the ship) because it wasn't grim-dark, it was still action but it was fun. And I thought to myself...shame we haven't seen more of that. Maybe they had a good reason to hide the ship underwater. Why can't we see more of that? The ship going to strange places and the crew just doing their job?

And then there was a scene were they use Harry Mudds ship to smuggle on the klingon homeworld and my first thought was...what a shame we have not seen more of THAT . Everything with Harry Mudd is bound to be hilarious.

Now sure, Star Trek The Wrath of Kahn, First Contact etc. are still on the top of my list, but - altough I never thought I say this - what I know really would want to see is more of a Star Trek IV Voyage Home movie. Sure, it can have a lot of action, but please not so grim-dark with huge bodycounts, MEANINGFULL dialoge and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD a bit more and more sophisticated character interaction. (Girlfriend nagging boyfriend about not showing feelings while on a spy mission.....REALLY? Who wrote that? A three year old?)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What next?

Post by McAvoy »

It is hard to do a utopian happy go lucky show and be a blockbuster. It doesn't have to be grim.

I am talking about instead of Batman we have the crew of the Enterprise each character acting their role in a struggle.

Perhaps then with Marcus who is pregnant with Kirks kid and maybe him in love with her. Kirk chooses a scenerio over her and his unborn child to save millions or billions.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"