(Not) Following orders - SPOILER

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Don-Okay
Petty officer second class

Re: (Not) Following orders - SPOILER

Post by Don-Okay »

About 1 in 6 for blood unless they all had O- blood.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Do you think we will se Khan again in a few movies? "The re-wraith of Khan"
Definitely a viable sequel hook there.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Teaos wrote:Do you think we will se Khan again in a few movies? "The re-wraith of Khan"
Definitely a viable sequel hook there.
That would be unpleasant.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd really like to see them do a completely new story in the next one (assuming there is a next one... I hear ID's box office isn't as high as they hoped for).

Don't give us yet another "bad guy in a huge and extremely powerful ship". We've had that in Nemesis, XI, and now Into Darkness. Give us something a bit different and inventive.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Bad guy in small, very powerful starship it is.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:

I think a fleet action would be great to see on the big screen. If part 3 deals with exploration, maybe 4 can deal with the start of the war with the Klingons.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Early appearences from Kor, Kang, and Koloth maybe?

Wouldn't mind seeing Sulu and a Klingon in a sword fight or 2. Cape optional.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote::lol:

I think a fleet action would be great to see on the big screen. If part 3 deals with exploration, maybe 4 can deal with the start of the war with the Klingons.

Dude, that could actually be a great plot point: from what it sounds like, Kirk has mainly been on his own with his crew for that whole last year and ID, plus these next 5 years.

Maybe having to work under command could be a source of tension for him; how would he handle a fleet action? There's your drama AND action!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:I suppose it's possible that They figured the other popsicle people's blood may or may not have the same healing factors. Not something you'd really want to gamble on.
From what I understand, that was actually in the novelization.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:From what I understand, that was actually in the novelization.
Chuck isn't going to be happy when he gets around to reviewing it - the apparent attitude of "RTFM if you want it all to make sense" was his biggest beef with XI. On the same subject though, I've read somewhere that the background to where they got the civvie ship from is in a prequel comic. That's how things like that should be used - the film still makes sense if you don't read them, but they're an interesting addition to add depth to throwaway lines if you do.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:From what I understand, that was actually in the novelization.
Chuck isn't going to be happy when he gets around to reviewing it - the apparent attitude of "RTFM if you want it all to make sense" was his biggest beef with XI. On the same subject though, I've read somewhere that the background to where they got the civvie ship from is in a prequel comic. That's how things like that should be used - the film still makes sense if you don't read them, but they're an interesting addition to add depth to throwaway lines if you do.
Chuck? Oh, SF Debris, right? :oops: yeah, when it's something like that that two seconds of dialog can solve, that's not cool.
Don-Okay

Post by Don-Okay »

I agree, you can elaborate in the wider body of work so long as it is implied in the main body.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Chuck? Oh, SF Debris, right? :oops: yeah, when it's something like that that two seconds of dialog can solve, that's not cool.

You do realize those two seconds equals to two seconds worth of flashy and lens flare induced scenes we would lose! Think of it! Two seconds of actually sitting still without a lens flare... wait never mind you could do a apinny camera move to catch a lens flare off of the metal insignia off of the uniform or something. The Spinny Camera move would be fast too to make it seem fast paced.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Don't give us yet another "bad guy in a huge and extremely powerful ship". We've had that in Nemesis, XI, and now Into Darkness. Give us something a bit different and inventive.
A single person, or small crew, where they have planned things out in advance ala Batman Gambit or Xanatos Roulette? Similar to Skyfall where the villain had hacking software on his laptop and knew they would try to crack it at MI-6, allowing him to escape?

Or the Fear episode from Voyager where the Fear program kept outsmarting everyone because he could read their minds, and had hostages to prevent brute-force actions?

Maybe a small high-tech group is in charge of a planet, but have rewritten the laws to keep them that way, and if you remove them billions will die. What the Voyager Ferengi episode could have been.

Ala Vetinari Job Security.

Still, I'll bet Uhura is telling the tactical personnel that she wants a rapid-fire/full-auto phaser for the next Away Mission.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

How about something like ST IV, where there is no actual bad guy at all?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...