Bombs hit Boston Marathon

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bombs hit Boston Marathon

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Two people have been killed and 23 injured after two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, police say.

The blasts shattered the carnival atmosphere of one of the biggest sporting events in the US, causing panic and confusion.

Bloodied victims were initially rushed to a medical tent set up to care for fatigued runners.

Emergency services descended on the scene, which was quickly locked down.

The cause of the explosions has yet to be confirmed.

"There are a lot of people down," one runner was quoted as saying by AP news agency.

A White House official said President Barack Obama had been notified about events in Boston, while Vice President Joe Biden - breaking of from a telephone conference call on gun control - said: "Our prayers are with those people in Boston who have suffered injury."

The incident reportedly came about two hours after the winners crossed the line.
What can you say?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Bombs hit Boston Marathon

Post by Teaos »

The lattest is another one went off in JFK library and 3 more have been found and destroyed. Random time and place.

For a second there I thought this was Hitlers Birthday like the Oklahoma city bombings but its 5 more days...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am wondering who and what the point was (beyond terrorism that is).
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Terror is the point. However the way in which people came together over the issue rather clearly shows the terror failed.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am starting to think this was domestic terrorism and not something outside the US. just a gut feeling.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I'm getting a lone nutbag sence from this Also explains why it wasnt stopped, hard to stop one guy and his imagination.

Getting ready for new laws infringing on our privacy in 3, 2, 1...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Frankly it's amazing that only 3 people have been killed so far. However there are a lot of injured people, some grievously.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Bombings are nothing new. In all likelyhood it will simply bring more attention to banning guns and self defense. WBC is already clapping and the left wing is saying that if it had been a gun free zone this wouldn't have happened. Home grown is the likely case. Muslims would have already taken credit an the liberals have been stepping up violence in recent years.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Wait, people are trying to tie this to guns?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:Frankly it's amazing that only 3 people have been killed so far. However there are a lot of injured people, some grievously.
Injured persons left too their wounds generally make up he bulk of fatalities. When watching the news, there was hardly 10 seconds between the bombs going off and people rushing into the smoke to help those in need. American spirit saved a lot of lives yesterday. Boston should be proud of its people.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:Wait, people are trying to tie this to guns?
You're surprised?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Deepcrush wrote:Injured persons left too their wounds generally make up he bulk of fatalities. When watching the news, there was hardly 10 seconds between the bombs going off and people rushing into the smoke to help those in need. American spirit saved a lot of lives yesterday. Boston should be proud of its people.
Given that the bombs appeared to be loaded with ball bearings and went off that close to the crowd I'm still rather surprised.

I was however incredibly proud that people responded that quickly to rush to people's aid instead of just keeping running.
Deepcrush wrote:You're surprised?
That it happened this quickly, yeah. I'm also wondering about the logical leap you have to take to get to guns when you can make a bomb with diesel, fertilizer, and nails.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The same logic that comes from saying that if guns are illegal that criminals will stop using them. It's not about logic, it's about fear. Terror gains its power from the lack of knowledge and or logic. Fear of the unknown, does that street corner have a bomb or is being out in public safe. That's what it's all about. The gun topic is big here and GK summed up the anti view very well when he said that if someone wants to own a gun then they must be willing or accepting of mass shootings. Now that is stupid of a special kind and everyone including GK likely knows it. But thats what fear does, it makes you stupid. It makes you think that you should give up thinking and live blind. Blind hope that if you just turn your back things will get better. Bombs cause a fear a their own because they are already illegal, because we as a society have said no to them as a public item. That's an issue of control, you can't really control who a bomb kills, it's just a weapon without aim. This also adds to the fear since noone is truly safe. You can't beg your way out of a bomb.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Without downplaying this in any way it did feel rather amateurish for AQ. My first thought was some sort of gas explosion. Then when there was two I still thought it could be, but started to think domestic.

That said it's pretty nasty for those involved, as with all such cowardly attacks. My thoughts go out to those involved and the families of the victims.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

AQ or its regional friends are generally very vocal. Domestic being likely from the silence and that so few of the devices worked.