Enterprise J

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Remeber that for most of the war Starfleet was losing fast. They were probably throwing everything they could at the front lines just to hold them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Even if Starfleet was using anything at hand, using those "anything at hand" ships to station at your core worlds would be better than what they're using currently, which seems to be NOTHING!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But if they dont get through your boarders they dont get to your core worlds.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree - that's why you keep your late-model capital ships on the frontiers.
as Bull offed Custer
Gerbsbrother
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Gerbsbrother »

i don't think it looks very practical in battle unles you plan on ramming your enemy and hoping your ship is so thin it would cut through the enemy
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

i don't think it looks very practical in battle unles you plan on ramming your enemy and hoping your ship is so thin it would cut through the enemy
Huh? :?
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

He's saying that from a combat orientated point of view, the design is rather poor.
And I have to agree, a single shot could go straight through the hull.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I don't like the fact it looks liek the next Generation NX class not 5 models after the Soverign.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just out of curiosity, does the US Navy keep ships stationed in New York harbour? Does New York harbour have any fixed defences - forts, cannon, missile batteries, etc?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Not to my knowledge. There's coast guard there, and a few naval ships, but it's a civilian port. Which pretty much means not a lot.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

By the time anything gets near NY harbour it would be hit by like a dozen air strikes.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The only thing I know of in NY harbor is the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, which is retired and has been converted into a museum.

As far as the "J" -
#1 - There is very little design evolution apparent from the latest "current" vessels to the J, which really just shows a lack of effort or care - a case all too common with Enterprise.

#2 - Although we can't say what advances in materials technology may have taken place, the fact is that the J looks fragile. However, we have seen that Starfleet likes to have its ships at least appear non-threatening and peaceable in most cases.

#3 - The main reason I don't like it is that it very simple is grotesque - I mean, just plain ugly.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Seems to me that, for the most part, the Navy is stationed where you expect trouble. They aren't sitting around to defend the home ports. Similar with starfleet - ships aren't sitting around at Earth, they are off patrolling the Neutral zone and stuff to try and stop trouble before it gets to Earth.

Of course that falls down somewhat; we can get away with not defending New York because we actually know where the threats are almost certain to come from. Whereas in Trek, brand new baddies pop out of nowhere and threaten Earth on a more or less yearly basis.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but then to get to earth they have to pass through quite bit of our territory.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:By the time anything gets near NY harbour it would be hit by like a dozen air strikes.
Anything? Or just military aircraft/vessels from a known hostile power? Because I seem to remember a couple of 767s making rather a mess of New York a few years ago.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.